He is who they said he was

negativo

What the draft experts pointed out as EJ Manuel's weaknesses:

Gives opponents too many chances for turnovers by forcing throws into coverage trying to make a play. Area code accuracy -- short throws are often low or wide, preventing receivers from making a play after the catch. Deep ball accuracy is uneven as well. Gets happy feet under pressure, spins to the outside to avoid the rush. Inconsistent recognizing blitz. Must step into his throws more consistently to fully utilize his arm strength.

NFL Comparison: Blaine Gabbert

http://www.nfl.com/d...nuel?id=2539228

He has a tendency to force throws into coverage trying to make a play. His decision-making and field vision are suspect. He struggles to work through progressions and often takes off running too quickly. Manuel has some accuracy issues as well. Short throws are often low or wide and his deep ball accuracy is uneven, as well. Gets happy feet under pressure, spins to the outside to avoid the rush. Must step into his throws more consistently to fully utilize his arm strength.

NFL COMPARISON: Blaine Gabbert, Jason Campbell/Terrelle Pryor, Josh Freeman.

http://www.milehighr...-denver-broncos

I hated this pick by Whaley from the moment he made it. Set the franchise back years. He was mesmerized by EJ's stature in a suit and dreamed of the potential. This dream became a fantasy, an obsession, and he would get this can't miss franchise QB whatever the cost. He acted with his heart, his desires, but not his head. Same as he did this year with Sammy. If there is one man that needs to be fired first by Team Pegula it's Whaley.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

EJ played better last year. You could feel his frustration and that of the team coming through the TV yesterday. It's almost as if EJ is trying so hard he is causing himself to fail. It doesn't really matter because his less than adequate play was a significant contribution to a loss in a very winnable game.

Time to see if Marrone has balls and pulls the plug.

I hated this pick by Whaley from the moment he made it. Set the franchise back years. He was mesmerized by EJ's stature in a suit and dreamed of the potential. This dream became a fantasy, an obsession, and he would get this can't miss franchise QB whatever the cost. He acted with his heart, his desires, but not his head. Same as he did this year with Sammy. If there is one man that needs to be fired first by Team Pegula it's Whaley.

This pick was also made by the fans. Lets face it NIX and Whaley made this pick because the fan base was clamoring for anyone but Fitz. Does Whaley get a pass because he got Kiko in round 2? Or Half of our starting defense in the mid rounds. Whaley is one of the only bright spots in this organization. Dont start calling for Whaley cause he picked a project QB

I said I would watch until game 4 and see what he does. He has accuracy issues after 10 yards. He doesn't ever step into a throw and "rainbows" every pass causing him to be insanely inaccurate. I was waiting for him to lose us a game this year and he absolutely did against houston which was very winnable. His WR dropped passes which didn't help but he made some horrible throws and a few bone headed decisions which cost the Bills this game. I think Hackett and co call run run 3 yd pass because they know EJ can't hit the broadside of a barn with an elephant after 10 yds. My question was how long was this kids obvious accuracy issues gonna take to be exposed? Opposing DC's will easily gameplan to take away the short field and dare EJ to beat them downfield which he has proven he cannot do. It's not fair to the defense and the offensive playmakers on this team that the QB should be holding them back. The talent on offense and the defense are good enough to win right now. Orton may not be the answer but neither is EJ. But the Dougs are to chicken **** to make the move and here we are .

I actually seem to remember it as being Nix's pick but whatever. I think that people have no patience maybe EJ should sit a while, if (and it is a big if) Orton is any good. With The Oline playing like they played.... EJ almost gets a pass from me. Almost. No, that was not a good game, I think in 2 weeks you see us sit him if he doesn't do better next week, seems the benching idea worked with Tannywacker. I would use the Phiben approach, on EJ, never understood the no competition for EJ, still don't.

I doubt he is ruined yet, some guys take a few years to see the light and turn it on. Simple fact about young QBs, throwing him into the fire at the point he is can ruin him, probably easier than sitting him would. I am not convinced that is the case but he shouldn't be just cut or something at this point.

The real problem with yesterday"s game tho, that was the oline and the gameplan, this offensive staff sure looked over their heads, for the last 2 weeks. I am starting to doubt THEY have "it" and I was giving them the benefit of the doubt.

This pick was also made by the fans. Lets face it NIX and Whaley made this pick because the fan base was clamoring for anyone but Fitz. Does Whaley get a pass because he got Kiko in round 2? Or Half of our starting defense in the mid rounds. Whaley is one of the only bright spots in this organization. Dont start calling for Whaley cause he picked a project QB

seriously? The fans were "clamoring" for a QB way before they reached for a 4th round project in the first. fans have been clamorong for a QB since Kelly hung them up. They have missed every single time before this disaster. This is nothing new at all. Pick a project in year when there are no QB's in the draft worth anything. Put a uniform on him and roll him out. Thanks Nix (2x). With the sales pitch that physically he is prototypical QB. it simply doesn't work that way.

It was Nix's pick, and he was wrong not just in the pick, but the philosophy to surround a young QB with talent first, then pick a QB. Well that only works if there are franchise QB's in every draft. You take a stud when he's available, or you overpay for Alex Smith so he doesn't go to KC.

Just shows a QB makes or breaks a team. We have a run game, we have some excellent WR's, we have a solid defense, and have dramatically improved against the run ( I still don't understand why Graham is not the #1 CB). Yes we need a TE, and improvements in the Guard position, but without a QB, it's a waste of time.

EJ's scouting report also mentioned he had size and was mobile and could run. Incredibly this staff has taken this out of his arsenal to a point that Phillip Rivers and Fitz are scrambling for more 1st downs than our young qb.

This staff does not believe in the kid - they dont let him run - when they pass its more often than not a pass thats within 3 yards of the line of scrimmage - you cannot play in this league that way,

If our roster was awful i'd say stick with ej and let him grow - but this roster is playoff level in talent and a veteran qb could drive them to a playoff appearance - make the move

Here's what a lot of you are missing: we literally change the dynamic of the offense when putting Orton in. There is no more defensive fear of him running the ball. We will have to go right back to the west coast offense. It will be a shiny penny for a week or two.

seriously? The fans were "clamoring" for a QB way before they reached for a 4th round project in the first. fans have been clamorong for a QB since Kelly hung them up. They have missed every single time before this disaster. This is nothing new at all. Pick a project in year when there are no QB's in the draft worth anything. Put a uniform on him and roll him out. Thanks Nix (2x). With the sales pitch that physically he is prototypical QB. it simply doesn't work that way.

4th round? Really? Common, I know EJ has had poor play but that kid wouldn't have lasted past the early second round. My point being is that much of this chest pounding is directed toward Doug Whaley unfairly. He has put alot of talent on this roster since 2013. To call for his head is absolutely ignorant.

I was going to post this yesterday myself, and I just re-read the FSU scouting report. It's dead-on. Reluctance to run, is fast but not quick....his longest run this year is 8 yards, I think Peyton Manning might have that beat. Struggles to take the the short choppy steps to move in the pocket, spins out instead. Doesnt throw receivers open. inaccurate....he's hitting throws to his WRs at a 33% rate the last 2 weeks. Internalizes criticism, thinks about one thing forgets to do another. Doesnt recognize blitzes well...doesn't sense pressure....slow through his reads....struggles to read coverages. But he is big and didn't get in any trouble at FSU.

People on here always have to have somebody on the OL to make their poster boy for why our O isnt awesome. Yeah Watt got a lot of pressure yesterday, you know what...he had a great year last year too and 14 teams beat the Texans last year.

And please quit thinking teams are worried about EJ running because they aren't, because 1 he doesnt do it and 2 hes not good at it...he doesnt have the quickness or acceleration of a Wilson, Kap and Cam. Fitz averaged 1.7 more yards per rush than EJ last year(5.2 for Fitz---3.5 for EJ, Tannehill averaged 6.0 yards per attempt in 2013, and Nick Foles put up 3.9. Still think EJ is some runner defenses have to gameplan for?

Edited by billsfan714

I was going to post this yesterday myself, and I just re-read the FSU scouting report. It's dead-on. Reluctance to run, is fast but not quick....his longest run this year is 8 yards, I think Peyton Manning might have that beat. Struggles to take the the short choppy steps to move in the pocket, spins out instead. Doesnt throw receivers open. inaccurate....he's hitting throws to his WRs at a 33% rate the last 2 weeks. Internalizes criticism, thinks about one thing forgets to do another. Doesnt recognize blitzes well...doesn't sense pressure....slow through his reads....struggles to read coverages. But he is big and didn't get in any trouble at FSU.

This is what kills me, as well. I thought we were getting a dual threat guy, who could run. Fitz actually is a lot more mobile, as he showed yesterday. Fitz is also more accurate, which is crazy, since inaccuracy was part of the reason we replaced him.

for months before the 2013 draft i pumped up Mike Glennon as being the best QB in that draft. I wanted him as a Bill. People here laughed. all he does is stand in there and make plays when needed. Rarely does he lose them a game. now we are stuck with EJ and once again i hate being right. ugh. We got maybe the wrost QB of the past 2 drafts. I think even Geno with all his flaws has more potential. This dude here could throw 50 times and still not rack up 300 yds in a game.

I really don't get the Whaley hate - sure he may have missed on EJ, because he was most certainly involved in drafting him (if he did actually miss on EJ - I'm up in the air on it, but EJ has looked terrible, but I can't bring myself to write him off yet - maybe it's homerism), but he has finally assembled an NFL roster with depth and talent at ALMOST every position, a roster that should be a playoff team - yes there are weaknesses (guard and TE) but every sports franchise has weaknesses on their roster

Whaley has transformed this team from a small and weak roster to a team full of real football players - fire him??? How about extend him for a few years to make sure we don't let him get sucked away by some other smart franchise

Edited by PaattMaann

I get ego's are fragile things; but this is the NFL and they are professionals. Can EJ be a good, serviceable QB? Maybe, but he is not being done any favors right now. I think Orton needs to start, EJ needs a headset and be glued to Hackett for the rest of the season so he can learn to see the field and develop. We do not need to Todd Collins him.

I get ego's are fragile things; but this is the NFL and they are professionals. Can EJ be a good, serviceable QB? Maybe, but he is not being done any favors right now. I think Orton needs to start, EJ needs a headset and be glued to Hackett for the rest of the season so he can learn to see the field and develop. We do not need to Todd Collins him.

I don't think seeing the field has been a huge issue - sure he has missed reads on where the open guys are - but more than that, he has seen the open guy and thrown the ball no where F'ing near them...that's not fixed by sitting on the bench and listening

It may not even be fixable

So if we bench EJ, he's not the QB in waiting/training, that's us admitting that he is NOT the franchise QB we hoped he is and bye bye EJ

I really don't get the Whaley hate - sure he may have missed on EJ, because he was most certainly involved in drafting him (if he did actually miss on EJ - I'm up in the air on it, but EJ has looked terrible, but I can't bring myself to write him off yet - maybe it's homerism), but he has finally assembled an NFL roster with depth and talent at ALMOST every position, a roster that should be a playoff team - yes there are weaknesses (guard and TE) but every sports franchise has weaknesses on their roster

Whaley has transformed this team from a small and weak roster to a team full of real football players - fire him??? How about extend him for a few years to make sure we don't let him get sucked away by some other smart franchise

Whaley's responsible for not just the Manuel pick, but eschewing veteran options this year when it was clear Manuel wasn't ready. Strategically, they haven't handled the QB position well, i.e. finding a veteran, unless you believe the narrative Kolb was brought in to start last year. :lol:

Throw in the revolving door post-Levitre at LG. The Kouandjio pick which isn't looking good. And the book still isn't complete, because Watkins may well turn out to be a great pro...but giving up a 1st rounder pick to move up 5 spots for a team without a QB sure looks more foolish with each EJ incompletion.

It's the entire strategy behind this team. They may have more talent but they're not much better in the W column either and there's an overhaul necessary. It doesn't help Whaley's case that he was Nix's top assistant from 2010-2012 when they bungled everything on their way to winning one-third of their games.

Edited by BillsVet