He is who they said he was

negativo

As for his "missing on the most important position in the game" - im not QUITE ready to classify EJ as a miss - its certainly trending that way, he looks like he cannot complete even the most routine passes - but thats the nature of the NFL - you HAVE TO draft and develop your franchise QB, which takes time and most often results in failure, but you have to try or you will never have one

Realistically, you do not need to invest a lot of time. The only reason it takes time is that coaches & GMs don't want to admit their mistakes, and until the rookie cap came in, they had a lot of money invested in the young QBs. But in most of the cases, you know fairly early whether your QB is likely to succeed. We haven't seen that from EJ yet.

That's how Seahawks ended up with Wilson. If they followed the tired NFL thin skinned script, they'd still be trying to justify the Charlie Whitehurst experiment, or the Matt Flynn experient, or the Tarvaris Jackson experiment. But it's not surprising that they have success because they're not afraid to admit a mistake and move on as quickly as possible. All successful businesses are run that way.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What the draft experts pointed out as EJ Manuel's weaknesses:

I hated this pick by Whaley from the moment he made it. Set the franchise back years. He was mesmerized by EJ's stature in a suit and dreamed of the potential. This dream became a fantasy, an obsession, and he would get this can't miss franchise QB whatever the cost. He acted with his heart, his desires, but not his head. Same as he did this year with Sammy. If there is one man that needs to be fired first by Team Pegula it's Whaley.

I'm not an EJ fan, although I am reserving full judgment, and there is much debate about the reality of the pick, but Nix was the GM at the time of the Draft and conducted three separate interviews, before, during, and after the Draft indicating EJ was his pick. Nix said before the Draft they would be Drafting a QB, the day following the 1st round selection of EJ defending it by saying everyone of the QBs in that Draft had issues but they liked EJ's upside, and then again discussed the pick of EJ as "his guy" and why he believed EJ could be the QB of the future for the BILLS....you can disagree with him, you can argue that Whaley had some say about he pick and you can speculate about how made the ultimate decision, but what we nor the OP can actually do, is remove the words spoken by Nix out of his own mouth as fact...in another thread in Pre Season when I was being shouted down for my serious reservations of EJ and my advocacy to let Tuel play with the 1's in the final Pre Season game, because Orton was not here and Thad was terrible, I posted 3 links to all three interviews, if you're interested have a listen...but facts are Nix insisted then that EJ was his selection, the rest is all conjecture and speculation - true or not, I have no idea but putting that out there for consideration....what is NOT debatable about DW IMHO, is his failure to secure a better Veteran option last year and this, but mostly, this year until Orton several days before the bullets started flying....on all other aspects, Whaley has earned my respect thus far...

Realistically, you do not need to invest a lot of time. The only reason it takes time is that coaches & GMs don't want to admit their mistakes, and until the rookie cap came in, they had a lot of money invested in the young QBs. But in most of the cases, you know fairly early whether your QB is likely to succeed. We haven't seen that from EJ yet.

That's how Seahawks ended up with Wilson. If they followed the tired NFL thin skinned script, they'd still be trying to justify the Charlie Whitehurst experiment, or the Matt Flynn experient, or the Tarvaris Jackson experiment. But it's not surprising that they have success because they're not afraid to admit a mistake and move on as quickly as possible. All successful businesses are run that way.

well then you and every GM who has ever lived disagree about measuring QB progress - as the industry standard is 30 starts before you know what you truly have in your QB...

well then you and every GM who has ever lived disagree about measuring QB progress - as the industry standard is 30 starts before you know what you truly have in your QB...

A lot of that is based on history. The game and managing the roster have evolved. Take a look at all the recent QB busts. Do you think they all needed 30 games to recognize the obvious?

What the draft experts pointed out as EJ Manuel's weaknesses:

I hated this pick by Whaley from the moment he made it. Set the franchise back years. He was mesmerized by EJ's stature in a suit and dreamed of the potential. This dream became a fantasy, an obsession, and he would get this can't miss franchise QB whatever the cost. He acted with his heart, his desires, but not his head. Same as he did this year with Sammy. If there is one man that needs to be fired first by Team Pegula it's Whaley.

I agree with you about the Whaley comment if this team falters in the 2014 season. There would need to be an entire house cleaning.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I'm not an EJ fan, although I am reserving full judgment, and there is much debate about the reality of the pick, but Nix was the GM at the time of the Draft and conducted three separate interviews, before, during, and after the Draft indicating EJ was his pick. Nix said before the Draft they would be Drafting a QB, the day following the 1st round selection of EJ defending it by saying everyone of the QBs in that Draft had issues but they liked EJ's upside, and then again discussed the pick of EJ as "his guy" and why he believed EJ could be the QB of the future for the BILLS....you can disagree with him, you can argue that Whaley had some say about he pick and you can speculate about how made the ultimate decision, but what we nor the OP can actually do, is remove the words spoken by Nix out of his own mouth as fact...in another thread in Pre Season when I was being shouted down for my serious reservations of EJ and my advocacy to let Tuel play with the 1's in the final Pre Season game, because Orton was not here and Thad was terrible, I posted 3 links to all three interviews, if you're interested have a listen...but facts are Nix insisted then that EJ was his selection, the rest is all conjecture and speculation - true or not, I have no idea but putting that out there for consideration....what is NOT debatable about DW IMHO, is his failure to secure a better Veteran option last year and this, but mostly, this year until Orton several days before the bullets started flying....on all other aspects, Whaley has earned my respect thus far...

If the Bills let Nix run the draft months before he "retired" that is asinine. But it would be par for the course of the consistent dysfunction that has been going on in that front office since the late 90s.

A lot of that is based on history. The game and managing the roster have evolved. Take a look at all the recent QB busts. Do you think they all needed 30 games to recognize the obvious?

some didnt get 30 starts because regime change = new QB

I agree sometimes we know way sooner than 30 games if a guy is definitely going to be THE GUY

but I Think you definitely need more time to know if a guy ISNT the guy...as for EJ...im officially in EJ purgatory where im not ready to give up on him because its puts us back to where we were two years ago, still searching for the answer, but he has looked real poopy the past two weeks, especially against Houston (i dont know if ive ever seen a worse QB performance from an accuracy standpoint