Week 5: Who should be the starting QB?

Dorkington

Week 5: Who should be the starting QB?  

194 members have voted

1. 1. Who should start against the Lions?

• EJ Manuel
    • Kyle Orton

Anyone thinking Marrone benches EJ is kidding themselves, he didn't even want Orton signed so what would make anyone think he would start him?

In saying that EJ is clearly not an NFL QB

Edited by Max997

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a convert now. I was one who was willing to trust the decision makers and give this kid a chance. At the game last week, which I was at, it was becoming apparent this guy is not a good enough thrower of the football to get the job done. This week has clinched it for me and I suspect many others as well. Marrone's vote is always plus one though...so it won't happen. Too bad because with even competent QB play this team would be tough too beat. Start Orton now and see if the season can be salvaged. The other guy has not shown enough. It is not fair to the players or fans to continue this. And, the coaching staff will be fired.

Continue to develop EJ??? He's reached his ceiling. He's not getting any better. He's had 14 starts. Almost a full season. Zero improvement. Zero. Looks worse than he did before he got hurt last year. New owner is here October 8th. Look at the schedule. 2-2 now. December looks like 1-3. Lose the next two, which is quite possible and the best they could do is 9-7 and there are no guaranteed wins in any of the other games. Question they have to ask themselves is what is more important? Winning games and making the playoffs (ha) which would mean going with Orton or trying to fool everyone by saying the QB and WR's are young and inexperienced and need more time to develop? Which Marone actually said today. That goes against everything they have said- win now- make the playoffs this year. Either way, this coaching staff, GM and most likely EJ are all finished here unless things turn around very quickly (which will be nothing short of a miracle). That sets the team back a couple more years. They gambled big time on EJ and it looks like they lost big time.

Continue to develop EJ??? He's reached his ceiling. He's not getting any better. He's had 14 starts. Almost a full season. Zero improvement. Zero. Looks worse than he did before he got hurt last year. New owner is here October 8th. Look at the schedule. 2-2 now. December looks like 1-3. Lose the next two, which is quite possible and the best they could do is 9-7 and there are no guaranteed wins in any of the other games. Question they have to ask themselves is what is more important? Winning games and making the playoffs (ha) which would mean going with Orton or trying to fool everyone by saying the QB and WR's are young and inexperienced and need more time to develop? Which Marone actually said today. That goes against everything they have said- win now- make the playoffs this year. Either way, this coaching staff, GM and most likely EJ are all finished here unless things turn around very quickly (which will be nothing short of a miracle). That sets the team back a couple more years. They gambled big time on EJ and it looks like they lost big time.

We might have to hit rock bottom to get to the top again

You will likely win more games with Orton but if you still have any hope that EJ will develop into anything other than the mediocre player he is now, you have to stick with EJ. That being said, it really doesn't matter which one you go with as our QB of the future is not yet here.

If our overall goal is to make the playoffs, orton should be the QB. If our overall goal is to see if Ej is the future of the franchise, Ej should start. I'm sick of watching these poor passes every series. Doesn't resemble an nfl starting QB right now. IMO, start orton. Try and make the playoffs. Have downing and hostler work with Ej and let him watch a QB with nfl experience. Look at adding competition at QB in the offseason. His free ride stops now. Earn the starting position.

I'm torn...As a FSU Grad and the fact he's still essentially a rookie...I was holding out hope for EJ...but...He's not getting it done....Receivers are wide open and he can't get them the ball. There is too much talent here and we deserve to see what Orton can do. Until EJ fires it in there instead of aiming it...See what Orton an do.

This.

I've been rooting for E.J. since his FSU days. I was pumped when we drafted him. I bought the injury argument last year. This year's preseason games? Oh, they were just preseason! But today I saw enough.

We have a ton of talent on this team and I don't think a playoff push is out of the question. It wouldn't hurt to see what Orton can do.

Could E.J. be a starting QB in this league? Today, he can't. Maybe sitting behind a vet like Orton for a year or two is what he needs.

Edited by Felonious Monk

EJ Manuel should be forced to play every down of every game until the Bills management realize they have made a terrible mistake. EJ is not the QB of the present or future. Frankly, EJ is a coach killer. Any coach who thinks they can teach EJ the instincts and intangibles to be a top QB will surely sink with the EJ Titanic. How many failures must the Bills endure before they get it right?

I hope Terry Pegula searches high and low for top quality management who will hire top quality coaches and staff to replace this amateur operation.

As I've said elsewhere...

Ideally I'd like to stick to developing EJ, since I don't know if Orton is any good. BUT, we also have too much talent on this team to waste... so I'm wondering if we should give Orton a couple weeks to see if we are any more successful in moving the ball. If not, then let EJ start and continue to work on improving through experience.

My answer is very unstable at the moment, though. Not really sure what to think.

Not on the OL, TE's, and LB's. But that is only 25% of the team...

It is amazing to me anyone still wants to watch that terrible play of EJ. I was hoping he would get better. I was willing to be

Attention with a game manager and eventually he improves, but it is not moving in this direction. The only passes he can possibly make are check down screen passes. Well, as soon as a defense reads it, they start pressing waiting for the screen.

The receivers looked pissed off after some of the obvious misses yesterday. How many times do we have to watch Williams, Watkins, and Wood look like the Barnum and bailey circus trying to make acrobatic catches.

For the posts about how much everyone love EJ two weeks ago, I don't remember those comments. I remember several people wanting to give him a chance to develop after two wins. Well, he looks absolutely terrible, and I'm so sick of watching my team suck, when we have talented people on this team.

Orton was a good game manager in the past. If he could play even close to as effective as Alex Smith, we'll win a bunch of games.

Of course it should be Orton.

One thing any long time Bills should should have an eye for is hopeless QB prospects. If you can't watch Manuel play and see the writing on the wall, you have your blinders on.

The fans always said to keep giving Losman another chance. Trent another chance. EJ another chance.

Talk about character, though! Wow! Losman was always heavily involved in the community. Trent had Bill Walsh himself vouching for him as a stand up leader. We all see EJ saying the right things to the camera and trying to play the role.

Here's what every crappy Buffalo QB does:

200 yds/game career passing

1:1 TD:INT career ratio

60% career completion percentage

75.0 career QB rating

Losman, Edwards, Fitzpatrick, Manuel. Go check their career stats and compare. Manuel is cut from the exact same cloth as his predecessors.