ESPN suspended Bill Simmons

C.Biscuit97

This is what I have been trying to find out. What was given out before.

If it IS 2 games like you say, this is manufactured outrage. WTF.

I also love how all the players are railing against Goodell because it's open season............I may be mistaken, but I think the reason they hate him is because the stiff punishments he's meted out.

Now, they're jumping on the bandwagon of hate, because they can, even though the reason for the lynch mob is that he gave out too LENIENT of a punishment!

the NFLPA objects to the powers they gave Goodell in the most recent CBA where he dishes out the punishment AND he also handles the appeals. they are trying every way possible to change that.

for everyones sake, someone else should handle the original punishment and Goodell should only handle the appeals.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the NFLPA objects to the powers they gave Goodell in the most recent CBA where he dishes out the punishment AND he also handles the appeals. they are trying every way possible to change that.

for everyones sake, someone else should handle the original punishment and Goodell should only handle the appeals.

Yeah, I'm sure the players are into the subtleties of that.

if i remember correct there were 15 suspensions in the last decade -- 1 for 3 games, the rest for 2 or less (and some guys with no suspension in addition to that 15).

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Not a fan of Goodell or ESPN, but this was a publicity stunt. I'd never heard of Bill Simmons before yesterday.

As someone who has followed Simmons since his pre ESPN days I can assure you it's not some stunt. Hopefully this is the catalyst for him to leave for good, an unchained Simmons would be awesome. Only downside, and it's a big one, would be if he lost all his insider access. Love his podcasts and articles.

That seems impossible for somebody with over 1700 posts on a football website.

I never hear of Simmons either until this happened. But I don't live in the USA so never watch ESPN. He's no Howard Cosell or Chris Berman in terms of name recognition, though.

Simmons just wants the spotlight. I see him on TNT NBA coverage, which is an excellent panel other than him. Everything Simmons says is designed to get the viewer to notice HIM. He's in the same mold as a Cowherd or Bayless. He's a joke.

I don't like Simmons on TV either, but he is mainly a print journalist. I like his columns and I absolutely love Grantland. It is by far the best part of ESPN. Well, except "30 for 30".

Can you say conspiracy? Nice little plan hatched by ESPN and Simmons. This whole thing is too contrived, right down to suspending him a week longer than Ray Rice's suspension.

It's perfect for that whiny B word Simmons, he doesn't miss any NBA and doesn't have to write about football.

If you didn't know his name before, you certainly won't recognize it in week anyway. Simmons is very well known one already

Simmons knew exactly how his profane laced comments were going to be received by ESPN before he even said anything. He dared ESPN to go ahead and do something against him while profanely making his comments. In essence he was taunting his boss. The basis of his harsh judgments was well established. Goodell deserves blame how he has handled this issue all along, even prior to the Rice situation. There's nothing courageous or even illuminating about making that judgment. Even Goodell publicly admitted that he miserably failed on dealing with this issue.

It's well understood that podcasts have much more leeway regarding profanity in its content. However, this was a contrived segment that spotlighted him more than it spotlilghted a serious issue that plagues not only the sports world but also society in general. It is sad that too much of the debate has been directed toward how he responded rather than the core of what he said.

Edited by JohnC

I don't like Simmons on TV either, but he is mainly a print journalist. I like his columns and I absolutely love Grantland. It is by far the best part of ESPN. Well, except "30 for 30".

And, 30 for 30 is his baby, too.

If you didn't know his name before, you certainly won't recognize it in week anyway. Simmons is very well known one already

No kidding. Not the right demo.

I wonder if the people defending Goodell would do so if he was a member of a different political group.

He has been terrible at his job.

You couldn't be more wrong here. He has done a great job for his bosses. This entire shift of focus from Rice to Goodell is the general public feeling good about itself. Everyone screaming about Goodell over this is a hypocrite, unless any of them can produce a prior post describing the exact same outrage at any other NFL domestic abuser's (Suggs, anyone?) suspension.

You should be kissing Goodell's pinky ring for all this blessed NFL football. Why concern yourself with all this peripheral nonsense/drama?

Ironically, the thing that got Goodell in trouble was giving Rice the stiffer penalty. If he'd just said the suspension was in line with the policy at the time, but they've changed the policy as a result (to a terrible policy, but I digress), and going forward they're going to handle these situations differently, this would have all blown over much quicker. Sure, the occasional blow hard like Olber Man would call for his head because faux outrage and extreme opinions is what they do, but the "fire Goodell" bull **** would never have gained much traction.