Roger Goodell Presser at 3 PM EDT: Ravens/NFL Coverup?

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Report: Ravens executives knew details of Ray Rice video in February: http://www.cbssports...deo-in-february

Now, Cass is going to have to answer even more questions about what the Ravens knew and when they knew it. Obviously, it also begs the question of what the NFL knew and how it handled the situation.

According to the report, Rice went into his June 16 meeting with Roger Goodell under the belief that Goodell had seen the video. Four sources told Outside the Lines that "Rice gave Goodell a truthful account that he struck his fiancee."

@usatoday_nfl

Full column: Armour: Roger Goodell emerges with a big thud http://usat.ly/1sb8Z2k

(@nrarmour) pic.twitter.com/QCCvtWy0za

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

For his salary, Goodell should be an A+ crisis manager. He should be the wolf from Pulp Fiction. He's not even Zed from Pulp Fiction.

Its a soap opera I wont waste much time on but what little I heard of him (trying to save his job) did not sound like the cadence of a 44 mil a year man. Frankly I think I could have done better and I'm a low-life blue collar worker.

Politics will determine the outcome of this.

Out.

jb

I know this doesn't meet with the thread...but I just read the Outside the Lines on the Ravens cover up...now I am reading that John Harbaugh wanted to cut Rice immediately and Biscotti, Newsome and Cass objected...How angry, if it all, would you be if the Bills handled an identical situation the same way the Ravens did?

Edited by Formerly Joe F

I wrote the following in another thread. Perhaps it belongs here:

I realize that everyone apparently likes to jump on the bandwagon against the NFL and Goodell.

My question is why would Goodell want to cover anything up? I understand why the Ravens may have wanted to do so.

Goodell has a history of not hesitating to punish players for all sorts of things. Big Ben was was suspended for 6 games initially for an alleged sexual assault and he was not even indicted. It was later reduced to 4 games. Ricky Williams was suspended for a year for smoking pot. Nigel was suspended for a game a year after the fact and the charges had been dropped.

Goodell suspended Ray Rice for two games. That is not a cover up. I thought that was too light even before I saw the video from inside the elevator. Suspending a guy - whether it is two games or indefinitely - is not a cover up.

Before the release of the video from inside the elevator, most of us were shocked by what we saw from outside the elevator. Most of us thought two games was two light. Most of us also did not know what preceded Rice dragging his fiance out of the elevator.

If Goodell had seen the video from inside or knew what happened, he clearly made a huge mistake and lied about it and should no longer be commissioner. If he did not, I do not think a suspension of just two games is cause (in and of itself) for firing Goodell. I realize that this is an unpopular opinion. Presuming he did not know, we can disagree with the length of the suspension (I still think that he should have been suspended for a longer period of time even without seeing the video from the outside). Yet, is the mistaken length of the suspension cause for firing Goodell?

Taking a moment to try to look at it from Goodell's perspective: The specific allegation of the prosecutors in the state of New Jersey "Complaint - Court Summons" was that he struck "her with his hand, rendering her unconscious."

http://www.cbssports...cee-unconscious

It does NOT state that he punched her with his fist as we all now know he did. Interestingly, it is undisputed that the prosecutors saw the video. Why did they not allege that he "punched her with his fist" as opposed to striking her with his hand.

After Rice plead not guilty to a third degree aggravated assault, the prosecutor agreed to allow him to enter a pre-trial diversionary program. This is how the prosecutor described it:

“After considering all relevant information in light of applicable law it was determined this was the appropriate disposition,” acting Atlantic County Prosecutor Jim McClain said in a statement.

http://articles.balt...ce-janay-palmer

For some reason, the prosecutor (who we know saw the video from inside the elevator) did not think that what had happened was serious enough to go forward with the case or seek any kind of real punishment.

From the same article, its states that both Rice and his fiance were initially charged with simple assault. Also from the same article, Rice and his fiance were married "days later."

So the question becomes, if this is what you know (both parties initially charged, no allegation of being punched or hit with a fist, no real punishment, and the parties get married days later), does Goodell deserve to get fired under those circumstances? We also do not know what Janay told Goodell about what happened when they met (I seem to recall that he met with both of them). We probably have a pretty good idea of how she portrayed what had happened based on her twitter response to the indefinite suspension.

If Goodell actually saw the video or knew that Rice punched her with his fist the way he did prior to only giving him two games, then all of the above goes out the window and Goodell should go. If he did not know, I have a hard time concluding that he should be fired.

I am NOT in any way condoning what Ray Rice did. It was absolutely horrible and goes against how I was brought up by my parents. I just don't understand how people seem to be transferring what Rice did on to Goodell. Are people being overly critical (based on what we actually know so far) in this instance because they have some other axe to grind with Goodell or the NFL?

People also seem to be making these sweeping conclusions about NFL players. The vast majority of these guys are good guys. They should not all be tainted by guys like Ray Rice. I do not know this for a fact, but I dare say that the incidents of arrests etc. of NFL players probably is about the same of the general population of 20 something men in the US or not too far off.

As an aside, some of you may recall that Deion Sanders and his wife continued to live in the same mammoth house a few years ago while they were going through a divorce. Apparently, they had an argument and she began to hit him. Deion ran away and some people accused him of being a wimp. I thought that Deion was VERY, VERY smart.

I have told my older son this story to illustrate a point. Regardless of what a girl or woman may do to you, NEVER EVER hit a woman. You should just leave and/or cover up.

Just my two cents.

I realize that everyone apparently likes to jump on the bandwagon against the NFL and Goodell.

My question is why would Goodell want to cover anything up? I understand why the Ravens may have wanted to do so.

I think you raise some good questions. As to why Goodell is under the microscope, I think a big reason is his close relationship with the Ravens' owner. The ESPN article strongly suggests that the Ravens all but determined the punishment Rice would receive, and that the league didn't do the investigating it would normally have done.

kj

Goodell has a history of not hesitating to punish players for all sorts of things. Big Ben was was suspended for 6 games initially for an alleged sexual assault and he was not even indicted. It was later reduced to 4 games. Ricky Williams was suspended for a year for smoking pot. Nigel was suspended for a game a year after the fact and the charges had been dropped.

Goodell suspended Ray Rice for two games. That is not a cover up. I thought that was too light even before I saw the video from inside the elevator. Suspending a guy - whether it is two games or indefinitely - is not a cover up.

Before the release of the video from inside the elevator, most of us were shocked by what we saw from outside the elevator. Most of us thought two games was two light. Most of us also did not know what preceded Rice dragging his fiance out of the elevator.

If Goodell had seen the video from inside or knew what happened, he clearly made a huge mistake and lied about it and should no longer be commissioner. If he did not, I do not think a suspension of just two games is cause (in and of itself) for firing Goodell. I realize that this is an unpopular opinion. Presuming he did not know, we can disagree with the length of the suspension (I still think that he should have been suspended for a longer period of time even without seeing the video from the outside). Yet, is the mistaken length of the suspension cause for firing Goodell?

Taking a moment to try to look at it from Goodell's perspective: The specific allegation of the prosecutors in the state of New Jersey "Complaint - Court Summons" was that he struck "her with his hand, rendering her unconscious."

http://www.cbssports...cee-unconscious

It does NOT state that he punched her with his fist as we all now know he did. Interestingly, it is undisputed that the prosecutors saw the video. Why did they not allege that he "punched her with his fist" as opposed to striking her with his hand.

After Rice plead not guilty to a third degree aggravated assault, the prosecutor agreed to allow him to enter a pre-trial diversionary program. This is how the prosecutor described it:

“After considering all relevant information in light of applicable law it was determined this was the appropriate disposition,” acting Atlantic County Prosecutor Jim McClain said in a statement.

http://articles.balt...ce-janay-palmer

For some reason, the prosecutor (who we know saw the video from inside the elevator) did not think that what had happened was serious enough to go forward with the case or seek any kind of real punishment.

From the same article, its states that both Rice and his fiance were initially charged with simple assault. Also from the same article, Rice and his fiance were married "days later."

So the question becomes, if this is what you know (both parties initially charged, no allegation of being punched or hit with a fist, no real punishment, and the parties get married days later), does Goodell deserve to get fired under those circumstances? We also do not know what Janay told Goodell about what happened when they met (I seem to recall that he met with both of them). We probably have a pretty good idea of how she portrayed what had happened based on her twitter response to the indefinite suspension.

If Goodell actually saw the video or knew that Rice punched her with his fist the way he did prior to only giving him two games, then all of the above goes out the window and Goodell should go. If he did not know, I have a hard time concluding that he should be fired.

I am NOT in any way condoning what Ray Rice did. It was absolutely horrible and goes against how I was brought up by my parents. I just don't understand how people seem to be transferring what Rice did on to Goodell. Are people being overly critical (based on what we actually know so far) in this instance because they have some other axe to grind with Goodell or the NFL?

People also seem to be making these sweeping conclusions about NFL players. The vast majority of these guys are good guys. They should not all be tainted by guys like Ray Rice. I do not know this for a fact, but I dare say that the incidents of arrests etc. of NFL players probably is about the same of the general population of 20 something men in the US or not too far off.

As an aside, some of you may recall that Deion Sanders and his wife continued to live in the same mammoth house a few years ago while they were going through a divorce. Apparently, they had an argument and she began to hit him. Deion ran away and some people accused him of being a wimp. I thought that Deion was VERY, VERY smart.

I have told my older son this story to illustrate a point. Regardless of what a girl or woman may do to you, NEVER EVER hit a woman. You should just leave and/or cover up.

Just my two cents.

Personally, I'm seeing a trend--Goodell lying and covering things up, "putting the best face on things" and hoping no one finds out the truth. This and burning the Spygate tapes and then telling us all that no more tapes existed (until, of course, Matt Walsh appears) come to mind. He needs to go....

I know this doesn't meet with the thread...but I just read the Outside the Lines on the Ravens cover up...now I am reading that John Harbaugh wanted to cut Rice immediately and Biscotti, Newsome and Cass objected...How angry, if it all, would you be if the Bills handled an identical situation the same way the Ravens did?

you mean like if a player attempted to kill someone by running her over in a car on chippewa at 3:30 am and then fleeing the scene ?

Goodell has a history

The answer to your question comes in two parts.

The first part is pretty much a certainty. You might do well to teach your son that though past actions and motivations are often quite INDICATIVE of what future actions or motivations MAY be, they are not DETERMANATIVE of what future actions or motivations Will be.

Yes Goodell does have a rich and virtually unparalleled record of being Commish while billions of $ in profits were cagily negotiated. He has had a lot of success for his employers! However it would simply be a mistake to assume just because he has done well in the past this somehow guarantees success in the future. Its mot a bad bet to simply conclude his next moves are good. They well may be on paper but it is always said the game is not played on paper.

The second part is simply speculative in that if this does happen to be an episode where he screwed up despite his past documented success. My guess is that this gives an answer to your question of why:

1. The guy simply make so much money he got full of himself and made the bad moves trying to softpedal punishment of Rice that he did not exert the discipline he would have in the past. His livelihood used to be at risk in his decisions but now f he screwed up and had to go he has probably banked a quarter mill from his work with the NFL.

2. He got full of himself and took foolish risks on the Rice situation assuming he would ultimately win or get away with this easily because he always had before.

3. Dumb luck that who would have imagined that the Rice problem would blow open in such close proximity to the unrelated Peterson thang and also that a series of crises on the related problem of wife beating would happen.

4. Who knows a lot happens even those of us who pay too much attention to the NFL can never know.

The most valuable lesson you can teach your son on this is that logic is great but t really ultimately is an illogical world.

you mean like if a player attempted to kill someone by running her over in a car on chippewa at 3:30 am and then fleeing the scene ?

great post..you forgot to add said player then goes on to get another DWI.

Then Bills fans B word we only got a 4th rounder or whatever

If that story is true, the Ravens sweet talked the law into an easy sentence, which is INCREDIBLY F---ED.

Rice's case appears to have been handled more harshly, in fact, because of his fame, said New Jersey defense attorney James Leonard Jr. and John C. Lore III, a professor at Rutgers School of Law in Camden. Two other defense attorneys said that Rice's celebrity could have played a role in the case getting more legal attention.

More than half of the 15,000 total domestic violence cases were dismissed or referred to lower-level municipal courts. Rice's case started out in municipal court, but county prosecutors later took over the case. Rice pleaded not guilty, and prosecutors signed off on his request to be placed into the Pre Trial Intervention(PTI) program, which is available only in state Superior Court.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/16/ray-rice-intervention-program-rare_n_5829004.html'>http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/16/ray-rice-intervention-program-rare_n_5829004.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/16/ray-rice-intervention-program-rare_n_5829004.html