Roger Goodell Presser at 3 PM EDT: Ravens/NFL Coverup?

26CornerBlitz

The league is not out of control. I have no doubt this type of behavior has happened before, but the league is doing very well. They need to address this problem and attempt to fix it. This is what they are doing. They admitted to their mistakes and now will move forward. As much as everyone loves to just say to fire him, as all sports fans do, just like fire the coach...., nobody feels that those in charge should have the opportunity to fix the problems they are confronted with. And I have yet to hear any solutions to the problem? Should Rice, Dwyer, Hardy and AP all receive the same punishment, or what should the punishment be? It's not that cut and dried.

I think the NFL is a very well run organization and I'm a big fan. I have no problem letting the league execs and the players union work with abuse experts and try to find a solution to the problem facing the league right now.

In other news coming from the mind of "KLOS63": reports of the Holocaust are greatly exaggerated. Not only does Germany have a rich heritage of Jewish support and praise, reports of '6 million deaths' are enormously over-reported. In reality, it was not more than 1.5 million...2 million tops."

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My bounty gate issue is his quote "ignorance is not an excuse." If that was his grounds for punishing Payton how does that not apply to him (specifically in the Rice investigation)?

There's no disagreement on this point. It applies to him. But the reason he was heavy handed was to set a precedent for the on the field hits policy (as NFL is bracing for massive lawsuits). Owners could get behind that. What would be the reason for the owners to fire Goodell, other than to sate the press for one weekend?

There's no disagreement on this point. It applies to him. But the reason he was heavy handed was to set a precedent for the on the field hits policy (as NFL is bracing for massive lawsuits). Owners could get behind that. What would be the reason for the owners to fire Goodell, other than to sate the press for one weekend?

I think that he is inept; I get why the owners are keeping him. They are making money on his watch. When I started in sales I had probably the worst sales director that I ever worked for. The guy was an idiot but his numbers were good. It's tough to fire someone like that regardless of how many better options may be out there. The numbers always win out.

I don't expect him to go but I think that he is a bad commissioner. Those are two different issues. He really needs to figure out what it is that the public feels. That is one thing that Silver has done perfectly in his year or so on the job.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

There is no reason to believe his version. Ray said that he told him that he hit her, the tape was sent to the NFL office, and TMZ obtained it with 1 phone call. He is either completely inept or lying (betting on the latter). The bounty gate situation was handled wrong (according to the investigator that he appointed in Paul Tagliabue). The NFL couldn't resolve the referee strike until the "Fail Mary." They had to settle with former players like 3 times after they didn't give them enough $ in the concussion debacle. His whole tenure has been a disaster outside of the revenues.

He had nothing to do with the bolded issues. The owners didn't want to pay the refs more. The owners didn't want to pay the injured players more.

Attributing these league decisions to Goodell is inaccurate, although the owners rely on this fallacy to hide behind Goodell. Hence the huge salary for the hatchet man. Hence he won't be fired nor will he resign.

The owners absolutely need him.

Edited by Mr. WEO

He had nothing to do with the bolded issues. The owners didn't want to pay the refs more. The owners didn't want to pay the injured players more.

Attributing these league decisions to Goodell is inaccurate, although the owners rely on this fallacy to hide behind Goodell. Hence the huge salary for the hatchet man. Hence he won't be fired nor will he resign.

The owners absolutely need him.

I don't disagree at all. He does play a huge role in resolving those issues though. They eventually were resolved so it was possible.

The hotel closed in late August or early September. The commish met with Rice in June.

Exactly ... my point is it was probably easier for TMZ to get the tape once someone was already unemployed. Its a lot harder to give out sensitive material if an employee is fearful they may lose their job. That said, the authorities have said the tape was sent to the NFL so if true the point is moot.

I think that he is inept; I get why the owners are keeping him. They are making money on his watch. When I started in sales I had probably the worst sales director that I ever worked for. The guy was an idiot but his numbers were good. It's tough to fire someone like that regardless of how many better options may be out there. The numbers always win out.

I don't expect him to go but I think that he is a bad commissioner. Those are two different issues. He really needs to figure out what it is that the public feels. That is one thing that Silver has done perfectly in his year or so on the job.

Silver (and everyone in the NBA) knew all about Sterling's racist past for years...

He makes 44 mill/yr. I have co workers who handle difficult town hall questions with more confidence and authority.

Really? Are you a Congressman or something? Just how many of your co-workers have conducted hour-long, televised press conferences with national media all desperately trying to play 'gotcha' with them?

Goodell admits he screwed up like many of the players he has disciplined, yet there are no personal consequences for his mistake. Yeah, seems fair. :rolleyes:

Goodell hasn't done anything illegal or against any league rules. There is a difference. A big difference.

Exactly ... my point is it was probably easier for TMZ to get the tape once someone was already unemployed. Its a lot harder to give out sensitive material if an employee is fearful they may lose their job. That said, the authorities have said the tape was sent to the NFL so if true the point is moot.

The league could have gotten it at any point. I am not sure that I am following?? From what experts say the NFL could have obtained that tape with a phone call (which supposedly happened).

He really doesn't answer to the public though. He answers to 31 owners and the GB org. So, even though their product is geared toward the public he is fine as long as he makes the owners happy. The question is does this incident do so, I would think not but I think they are smart enough not to have a mob mentality and oust him.

Goodell admits he screwed up like many of the players he has disciplined, yet there are no personal consequences for his mistake. Yeah, seems fair. :rolleyes:

His screw up was that he didn't punish players more than the criminal justice system did.

Stone him...

Goodell hasn't done anything illegal or against any league rules. There is a difference. A big difference.

Did Sean Payton when he was suspended for a year in bounty gate? Remember, Goodell said ignorance of what's going on in your house (with his house being the NFL league office) is no excuse.

Whoa cowboy. No logic allowed in this thread. Not when the angry mob is still reeling from their disappointment over not getting blood.

Well then why attribute those issues to him alone? The NFL is a star chamber. They decide, he speaks to the masses.

We both agreed that he was the front man on that, even if he isn't the decision maker. His job is to keep the league operating at as high a point as possible. If they would have resolved the referee issue 1 week earlier we would have forgotten that it existed. Deadlines always close negotiations and in this point he couldn't close the gap. He certainly isn't without fault.

We both agreed that he was the front man on that, even if he isn't the decision maker. His job is to keep the league operating at as high a point as possible. If they would have resolved the referee issue 1 week earlier we would have forgotten that it existed. Deadlines always close negotiations and in this point he couldn't close the gap. He certainly isn't without fault.

Goodell isn't negotiating with anyone...

He really doesn't answer to the public though. He answers to 31 owners and the GB org. So, even though their product is geared toward the public he is fine as long as he makes the owners happy. The question is does this incident do so, I would think not but I think they are smart enough not to have a mob mentality and oust him.

Maybe I am not getting my point across. I do not expect him to be fired. I completely understand why the owners are happy with him.

I think that he is a bad commissioner and his decisions are putting a black eye on a teflon product. It is snowballing at the moment. He needs to stop the negative momentum before he becomes a sacrificial lamb. If sponsors start pulling away he will move to the hot seat.