It should have been a touchback...

Dragonborn10

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There didn't seem to be any meaningful review of the play. Same with the Wallace TD. On these close calls, usually you see some delay while they review and confirm the calls. On those two plays there was none. On the Wallace TD, I am willing to bet that less than a minute went by between the catch and he PAT. I just don't buy that any meaningful review was done of either of those scoring plays.

It worked out well for us; but if the rule is that scoring plays are reviewed, I would expect a more thorough of review of close plays.

I watched the play numerous times now. Sammy's TD should have been ruled a fumble and touchback. Bills got lucky. Luck is part of the game and maybe it is our time to get a good break.

I have looked at it and disagree. But it doesn't' really mater, right?

BTW, ALL scoring plays are supposed to be reviewed. I assume this one was too.

Considering Miami's only TD came after an uncalled false start penalty on 4th down and two consecutive defensive backfield penalties resulting in 1st downs, I'm not feeling too bad about a possible gift TD.

This. The refs were uniformly terrible on both sides of the ball, starting with the Chandler call that forced us to waste a challenge. The missed false start on 4th down was brutal. They owed us one after that.

I watched the play numerous times now. Sammy's TD should have been ruled a fumble and touchback. Bills got lucky. Luck is part of the game and maybe it is our time to get a good break.

The thing you are missing is that the pylon doesn't matter if the ball broke the goal line already. That is why it wasn't reversed...it was reviewed, all scores are reviewed. The broadcasters kept focusing on whether the ball was out of his hand when it hit the pylon, however, the nose of the ball had more than likely already crossed the goal line prior to that moment when it was still in his hand.

The truth is, however it was ruled on the field it was going to stay that way. If it was ruled a touchback, it likely would have stayed that way too because there wasn't a good angle to show if the ball broke the goal line prior to the pylon. The ball was certainly out of his hand when it hit the pylon, but if you look at where the ball and his hand were, they were clearly past the goal line already at that moment. So the question again was as you back it up, was the ball still controlled when it initially crossed the line prior to the contact with the pylon.

I believe it was over the goal line because at impact of the pylon, it hit the middle of the ball meaning the nose would have had to been across the goal line prior to that where it was still in his hand.

The refs got that call right...ruling stands with no conclusive evidence either way.

There didn't seem to be any meaningful review of the play. Same with the Wallace TD. On these close calls, usually you see some delay while they review and confirm the calls. On those two plays there was none. On the Wallace TD, I am willing to bet that less than a minute went by between the catch and he PAT. I just don't buy that any meaningful review was done of either of those scoring plays.

It worked out well for us; but if the rule is that scoring plays are reviewed, I would expect a more thorough of review of close plays.

To my original point, the NFL didn't meaningfully review these plays. See SI article. I actually went back and counted-- less than a minute to review both of these plays:

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/09/14/percy-harvin-sammy-watkins-controversial-touchdowns

To my original point, the NFL didn't meaningfully review these plays. See SI article. I actually went back and counted-- less than a minute to review both of these plays:

http://www.si.com/nf...sial-touchdowns

And yet the HC isn't allowed to challenge them.

I believe they are quickly reviewed upstairs. If they are flagged on that quick review, then they go for a more extensive review. Obviously they aren't reviewed the same way as if a coach challenged them.

To tell the truth, that's the way I'd prefer all plays be reviewed. Only obviously blown calls (everyone in the stadium knows it except the guy who made the call) would be reversed. Close calls should stand as called on the field. If you need four angles and 3 minutes to make a decision, you shouldn't be overruling the call. Again, IMO. But clearly that isn't what the NFL is currently doing---except on scoring plays and turnovers. Another area where they lack consistency.

With all of that said, I believe the TD would have stood as called.

The thing you are missing is that the pylon doesn't matter if the ball broke the goal line already. That is why it wasn't reversed...it was reviewed, all scores are reviewed. The broadcasters kept focusing on whether the ball was out of his hand when it hit the pylon, however, the nose of the ball had more than likely already crossed the goal line prior to that moment when it was still in his hand.

The truth is, however it was ruled on the field it was going to stay that way. If it was ruled a touchback, it likely would have stayed that way too because there wasn't a good angle to show if the ball broke the goal line prior to the pylon. The ball was certainly out of his hand when it hit the pylon, but if you look at where the ball and his hand were, they were clearly past the goal line already at that moment. So the question again was as you back it up, was the ball still controlled when it initially crossed the line prior to the contact with the pylon.

I believe it was over the goal line because at impact of the pylon, it hit the middle of the ball meaning the nose would have had to been across the goal line prior to that where it was still in his hand.

The refs got that call right...ruling stands with no conclusive evidence either way.

This

Looking at the play over and over it's obvious that Watkins bobbles the ball at the 1yd line but regains control (in his right hand) and hits the pylon with the ball. The call is correct, touchdown.

Edited by nkreed