No jail time for the rail sliding fan

Just Jack

You don't think falling off the rail and injuring himself and another, losing his job, paying a fine and 100 hours of community service accomplishes that? Hell, I'm sure he still have a civil suit coming his way.

The guy made a stupid mistake and paid (is paying) for it. How much more is really needed? 100 lashes in the town square?

I agree. He certainly earned the public abuse he's taken, his ban from the Ralph and the civil lawsuit he'll lose, but I don't see prison accomplishing anything here.

I made the same statements when this first came out and got flamed for it. Lost the job, publicly embarrassed, enormous legal fees, HUGE pending civil suit for which he will definitely be found guilty, and most likely bankruptcy in the near future.

Prison is too much here, especially for a first time offender. I think everything that's happened to this dude is significant enough to discourage other idiots, or at least you'd hope so!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The civil suit is on the way via the person he fell on and injured.

I imagine that's the reason he isn't in prison, so he can continue to work (assuming he got another job) and pay off the impending civil suit award.

But it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth when a person dies and the stupid piece of **** that caused it gets a minimal punishment.

Yeah... How exactly can they enforce his ban.... As long as he doesn't purchase tickets himself, directly from the ticket office....

If he were to get in and then busted, would that be trespassing?

Thats basically what the ban means. He could still easily get in if he wants to. But if he runs afoul of security or local police then he'd face trespassing and other charges. The ban is more of a paper trail than anything which could prevent him from entering the Ralph and going all parkour/going off some sweet jumps.

Yep. That's what will sober him up, literally and figuratively. Once the News published the name of his employer, it had no choice but to terminate him.

sometimes we might get a little carried away with "no choice but to fire him"

i frankly dont remember the guys name, or the firm and after about a week i doubt anyone else really would. im not saying they were wrong for firing him - im sure there are plenty that can do the job without the short term distraction so go ahead and get one of those people -- but no choice... i mean, how many clients would they have really lost?

Edited by NoSaint

i frankly dont remember the guys name, or the firm and after about a week i doubt anyone else really would. im not saying they were wrong for firing him - im sure there are plenty that can do the job without the short term distraction so go ahead and get one of those people -- but no choice... i mean, how many clients would they have really lost?

Thats a scary line of thought. I heard that being bandied about a lot in relation to a recent high profile incident in the NFL. But when I asked why there were no other options than to mete out the highest punishment available, there were no answers.

You know things are crazy when my positions appear too lenient.

Should have had at least one week in jail. Incarceration will make someone think before doing something stupid again.

We have more people in jail than China. He'll be poor for a long time. That's correct (he pays for his mistake) and better for all of us (he still participates in the economy, hopefully) rather than being provided free healthcare, 3 hots, and a cot.

We have more people in jail than China. He'll be poor for a long time. That's correct (he pays for his mistake) and better for all of us (he still participates in the economy, hopefully) rather than being provided free healthcare, 3 hots, and a cot.

China's methods of prison population control are second to none. Summary executions. They send and invoice to the family of the deceased for the round. 3 yuan I believe.

A PR firm--much less, the premier PR firm in the area (Eric Mower & Assocs.)--that can't keep its own name out of the paper? It wouldn't have looked good had it kept him. It was borderline irresponsible of the News to name the employer. It guaranteed his termination.

China's methods of prison population control are second to none. Summary executions. They send and invoice to the family of the deceased for the round. 3 yuan I believe.

I used to live there. Crazy place. They have a national "anti drug" day. But instead of telling the kids "just say no," they just line up and shoot all the drug offenders.

Criminal punishment serves three purposes: Retribution, deterence, and, making any victim whole. This particular set of "punishments" is short in the deterence category in my view. I am not big on retribution....no reason to jail him on that basis.....but, I am big on deterence....and he should have gone to jail for a period of time as a deterent to other stupic drunks. This guy didn't slide down the rail once, he did it multiple times.......he knew what he was doing, and did it anyhow. I would have made an example of him.

The above comment about losing the civil suit, and declaring bankrupcy is right on, the victim will not get much, if anything. I think the justice system is failing here.....or at least just passing....give the system here a D

What legal right or logic does the employer have to have fired him? Unless they were company seats or because of the incident he was not able to report to work, what is their point?

NYS is at will. They can fire him because they don't like the shirt he wears to work

In this case, an employee falling after an incredibly stupid act and now everyone knows who he works for?

Ummm yeah hey buddy, you're fired.

Criminal punishment serves three purposes: Retribution, deterence, and, making any victim whole. This particular set of "punishments" is short in the deterence category in my view. I am not big on retribution....no reason to jail him on that basis.....but, I am big on deterence....and he should have gone to jail for a period of time as a deterent to other stupic drunks. This guy didn't slide down the rail once, he did it multiple times.......he knew what he was doing, and did it anyhow. I would have made an example of him.

The above comment about losing the civil suit, and declaring bankrupcy is right on, the victim will not get much, if anything. I think the justice system is failing here.....or at least just passing....give the system here a D

in this case, id guess the actual fall, $1000 and community service would serve a pretty good deterrent. Add in that he lost his job, is banned from the stadium, and was a national news story--- i dont think anyone would consider it worth it at this point. thats not even counting the civil penalties which are sure to be steep and help with making the other party whole (though i agree will come up short).

if he got a minor jail term, i wouldnt complain.... but i dont think he got off light either.

A PR firm--much less, the premier PR firm in the area (Eric Mower & Assocs.)--that can't keep its own name out of the paper? It wouldn't have looked good had it kept him. It was borderline irresponsible of the News to name the employer. It guaranteed his termination.

it wouldnt have looked great, but i dont know if it would have been an epic disaster either. i get the "why even bother keeping him" idea, but dont think its a "you have no choice" situation either.

Edited by NoSaint

I agree. He certainly earned the public abuse he's taken, his ban from the Ralph and the civil lawsuit he'll lose, but I don't see prison accomplishing anything here.

Yep. Except NOT being to pay the civil judgement... Since he would be in jail. He already lost his job... How do they think he is going to pay? If he wants to be vindicative, why even get another job? Just freeload... What are they going to get? Blood out of a stone?

He's gonna get sued...but you can't get blood from a stone. The teacher at least I'm sure has a nice insurance plan with the state, has continued to work and hopefully will do so. He can move on and with any luck get better although I've never been a fan of chiropractors so maybe he should quit that.

I imagine that's the reason he isn't in prison, so he can continue to work (assuming he got another job) and pay off the impending civil suit award.

But it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth when a person dies and the stupid piece of **** that caused it gets a minimal punishment.

The guy he landed on DIED?? I don't remember that aspect of the story.