Joe B's Upon Further Review: Bills at Bears

26CornerBlitz

Upon Further Review: Bills at Bears

Joe Buscaglia , posted Sep 11 2014

It has certainly been a big week around Buffalo. Jim Kelly was declared cancer free, the Bills were sold to Terry and Kim Pegula which insured the franchise’s safety in western New York, and on top of it all, the team went into Chicago and left with a victory.

The Bills are about to move on to their next opponents, the 1-0 Miami Dolphins, but before they do that the book needs to be closed on the overtime win versus the Bears. Returning for it’s third straight year, WGR’s Upon Further Review is here to grade out every player, in every game.

First, here is an explanation for those that have yet to read the series before this year:

‘Upon Further Review’ is a detailed, weekly look at how each player on the Bills fared in that specific game. With the help of the All-22 film that is available through NFL.com’s Game Rewind package, WGR is able to provide the standouts, the duds and everything in between from the previous game.

For each player that appeared in the game on offense or defense, you'll see their name in bold, with a set of numbers after it. Example: Pooh Bear Williams (54, -2, 2.7). The first number (54) represents the snap count of that game, the second (-2) represents the individual player’s plus-minus of positive plays to negative plays in that game. The third number (2.7) represents the weighted Grade Point Average assigned to that player by the author.

Nigel Bradham will play this week. Brown will watch from the sidelines.

not if Rivers is out

Here is another breakdown on PB and the corners

@NickelCityBills: I looked into Preston Brown's rookie debut and the CB's vs. CHI, including 52's first tackle http://t.co/6dRynWra4j http://t.co/j1q1DdhXOf

Edited by YoloinOhio

I don't understand why McKelvin was playing so far off but it had to be by design and was big reason why he gave up as many completions as he did.

Gilmore usually gives a big cushion when he plays too so may be something to this.

Either way Graham should be starting over one of them

I don't understand why McKelvin was playing so far off but it had to be by design and was big reason why he gave up as many completions as he did.

Gilmore usually gives a big cushion when he plays too so may be something to this.

Either way Graham should be starting over one of them

McKelvin obviously had a bad game. It's inarguable. And he did give up that 44 yarder (on an absolute perfect pass to Jeffrey). But that said, if you told me that McKelvin would be covering Brandon Marshall all game long, and gave up 8 receptions for 71 yards and 1 TD while also forcing a fumble we recovered and broke up a third down pass in OT (even though he dropped a sure INT) I would take it in a heartbeat.

McKelvin obviously had a bad game. It's inarguable. And he did give up that 44 yarder (on an absolute perfect pass to Jeffrey). But that said, if you told me that McKelvin would be covering Brandon Marshall all game long, and gave up 8 receptions for 71 yards and 1 TD while also forcing a fumble we recovered and broke up a third down pass in OT (even though he dropped a sure INT) I would take it in a heartbeat.

Exactly

McKelvin wasn't great and he might be the Bills #3 corner. But his performance was night and day from the old days - he's physical, he's aware of where the ball is, and while he got beat a few times, he wasn't getting burned like the old days. The Cutler deep ball was a tremendous pass.

I could tell Graham had a good game but wow "only the third perfect grade in the three years that ‘Upon Further Review’ has been running" -Could end up being one of the best free agent signings this offseason!

it might be that the Leodis of old returns and was a better fit in Pettine's scheme.

it might be that the Leodis of old returns and was a better fit in Pettine's scheme.

The Leodis of old would have been beaten like a bass drum by Marshall/Jeffery INA Justin Rogers-like fashion, not just one perfectly thrown deep ball.

Am I the only person who thought Leodis had a good game? I was sober watching the game.

No, I thought after a rough start to the game, he got into the groove and played well through the rest. Still can't hold on to those Int's but atleast he knows where the ball is. Very good tackling as well. He had atleast 2 PD's but none show on the stat sheet for him.

McKelvin wasn't great and he might be the Bills #3 corner. But his performance was night and day from the old days - he's physical, he's aware of where the ball is, and while he got beat a few times, he wasn't getting burned like the old days. The Cutler deep ball was a tremendous pass.

This is spot on. I still have nightmares from the old mckelvin, where every pass was either a TD or PI.

Overall, he played a good game; not sure there are many no. 2 CBs that would have done much better against those bears receivers.

McKelvin is coming off of offseason surgery that curtailed his offseason and preseason preparation. More often than not he is in single coverage against the receiver. Although his balls skills are not good his coverage skills are solid. It's also evident that he is one of the top physical talents on the team and in the league. He has some liabilities with his ball skils but overall his coverage skills more than makeup for that limitation.

Because of the way the rules are applied in the league, advantaging the receivers, the DBs play the most challenging position. The DBs are more than ever dependent on the quality of the pass rush. NYC Bill and Badobilz often argue that because of the rule changes the value of the position is downgraded. I take the opposite view. You need not only good DBs to contain the receivers but you need more of them.

Without a doubt the Graham pickup was a terrific acquisition by Whaley. And Robey is the most instinctive and football smart DB on the unit. And he is pound per pound the toughest DB on the team. He was another tremendous pickup by Whaley.

Am I the only person who thought Leodis had a good game? I was sober watching the game.

You can add me to your sober audience that came away with the same conclusion.

As for Brown Boomer Esiason gave him honorable mention for defensive rookie of the week. The operative word is rookie. Joe B is a.tool in my opinion. He parrots popular sentiment and his analysis is bent on support predrawn conclusions. Btw Esiason gave Coach of the week to Doug.

As for Brown Boomer Esiason gave him honorable mention for defensive rookie of the week. The operative word is rookie. Joe B is a.tool in my opinion. He parrots popular sentiment and his analysis is bent on support predrawn conclusions. Btw Esiason gave Coach of the week to Doug.

Boomer? Not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Agreed. But he has the benefit of some experience and exposure to everything going on in the league. Either way it was kudos to the Bills for a good effort. I thought Brown played well. Soldier field is a notoriusly crappy field so I don't blame him for slipping.