NFL had tapes in April

bonechiller

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If announcers at my workplace weighed in with an opinion that had nothing to do with the job they were supposed to do, and that opinion were likely to offend our sponsors or underwriters (and audience), they would be suspended, too.

Robinson's job is to do play-by-play. Now, if he was brought on as a commentator for a program and made this statement, then the Niners are in the wrong.

I get it. That's kind of the point. There was a day and a time when Americans valued open discourse which meant allowing speech you disagree with because it's preferable to the alternative. Now whenever someone says something slightly outside the mainstream PC line, we the public demand to see them punished. We can't have them arrested because of the 1st amendment, so we punish unpopular speech by attacking their ability to earn a living. I find this aspect of our emotionally charged, intellectually vacant, narcissistic pop culture far more disturbing than a play by play guy saying something I may disagree with.

Edited by Rob's House

I get it. That's kind of the point. There was a day and a time when Americans valued open discourse which meant allowing speech you disagree with because it's preferable to the alternative. Now whenever someone says something slightly outside the mainstream PC line, we the public demand to see them punished. We can't have them arrested because of the 1st amendment, so we punish unpopular speech by attacking their ability to earn a living. I find this aspect of our emotionally charged, intellectually vacant, narcissistic pop culture far more disturbing than a play by play guy saying something I may disagree with.

Don't get me wrong, I don't at all think he should be fired. I just understand why an employer acts the way they do in this situation. And I would hope they don't suspend him without pay (I can't imagine they would; then they are setting themselves up for a lawsuit).

It's just kind of the reality of sports being one interest that cuts across political lines... hence you have to be prepared for some audiences to be pissed off if you're bringing ideas outside of sports into the conversation.

But yes, the need for "someone to pay" all the time gets really tiresome, as if anyone has ever not made a mistake.

Valid outrage here can be directed at two parties: Rice, and the DA. That's really about it. What Goodell has done is just to take a massive, steaming PR dump, that he made worse by mixing up his message.

Edited by RuntheDamnBall

Which will last until after this weekends games. Mark my words once next week rolls around these threads will drop from the top of the board, this subject will fall from the public consciousness, and Roger Goodell will still be commissioner.

Tonight - Ravens Steelers, they will talk about this some during the broadcast but not too much

Tomorrow - Either conversation about how well Ravens did in the face of adversity or how there was too much distraction

Saturday - College Football no mention of Rice/this story

Sunday - some mention of this story in the pregame show but less than you would expect as the Ravens aren't on the docket

Monday - coverage of the games/prep for MNF

Tuesday - bupkis

well, unless the nfl keeps putting it back in the spotlight.

Don't get me wrong, I don't at all think he should be fired. I just understand why an employer acts the way they do in this situation. And I would hope they don't suspend him without pay (I can't imagine they would; then they are setting themselves up for a lawsuit).

It's just kind of the reality of sports being one interest that cuts across political lines... hence you have to be prepared for some audiences to be pissed off if you're bringing ideas outside of sports into the conversation.

I don't disagree with you at all. I just wish we as a society would chill the !@#$ out with stuff like that and not be so quick to grab our pitch forks. The employers are just reacting to the climate.

And then he burned the tapes.

You just claimed he saw it and "burned it" in your last post.

I didn't claim anything.

Oh, doc.....or is it Sybil?

Anyway, yes, the PCP policy is a joke. Rice should have gotten 6 games, not "indefinite suspension", according to the NFL's new domestic abuse policy. But, as you quickly conceded, this is a all PR now, driven by "public outrage".

of course they have. this is just the first time they've ever been busted in such a public manner. That's why Goodell will be getting fired. It might take a few days of half-hearted defenses from other owners, but he will be gone. It's a matter of time.

Listen for owners saying positive, supportive things about him. THAT will be the kiss of death, signaling that a resignation is imminent.

No one is going to give you money for being a dumbass.

Ray Rice suspended for two games is a solid 6th round pick.

Freaking Bryce Brown got picked in the 8th in a league I was in.

NFL freaking out about TMZ video could not have been expected in August.

Especially when the fact remains, WTF did you think happened on the elevator, he read her Ulysses until she passed out?

Oh, doc.....or is it Sybil?

I'd suggest reading the whole post in future:

Did he see something on them and ignore it?

Anyway, yes, the PCP policy is a joke. Rice should have gotten 6 games, not "indefinite suspension", according to the NFL's new domestic abuse policy. But, as you quickly conceded, this is a all PR now, driven by "public outrage".

He changed his own policy soon after the initial public outrage to 6 games for a 1st offense Why not give him 6 games after finally viewing the tapes? Now he's changed it to indefinite suspension for a 1st offense? And public outrage can make him change his PCP? What about all the lying?

Look, I know you're defending him because you like him and his work suspending Bills players. But as some point, a reasonable person says he looks like a lying chump. And unless directed by the owners to do what he did, brought this all on himself. And thus he should face the consequences.

But as some point, a reasonable person says he looks like a lying chump.

Or a clueless chump - I always assume "stupid" before "malice."

Either way, he's a mother!@#$ing chump. He's done everything to lead anyone to believe he has absolutely no moral stance on this, despite any claims to the contrary.

Or a clueless chump - I always assume "stupid" before "malice."

Either way, he's a mother!@#$ing chump. He's done everything to lead anyone to believe he has absolutely no moral stance on this, despite any claims to the contrary.

This goes beyond "clueless." Merely claiming that he didn't see the videotape because they never sent it to him, which implies he didn't care enough to pursue the matter, is bad enough. To hear that police sent the NFL the tape and he still never saw it? That tells me he's lying somewhere along the line.

This goes beyond "clueless." Merely claiming that he didn't see the videotape because they never sent it to him, which implies he didn't care enough to pursue the matter, is bad enough. To hear that police sent the NFL the tape and he still never saw it? That tells me he's lying somewhere along the line.

Or the entire league front office is !@#$ed up and he really never got the video.

Entirely possible. I'd give it betting odds, though I wouldn't wager a lot.

When Goodell banished Sean Payton with a year long suspension as a result of bountygate, he said ignorance of what was going on was no excuse. He had better hold himself to the very same standard.

49ers Suspend Announcer for Expressing Opinion on Rice Incident.

https://www.yahoo.co...-022400695.html

Dude said the wife was partially to blame for refusing to cooperate with police. Apparently the network hadn't told him what the only permissible take was.

Welcome to the new America: where mob rule rules and no unpopular speech goes unpunished.

He said that the fiance was pathetic for not speaking up. He was very hesitate to call her a victim because she played her part. He talked about how many women lure men into sexual assault situations. But way to leave out the facts, jump to a conclusion to support your biased view.

I don't disagree with you at all. I just wish we as a society would chill the !@#$ out with stuff like that and not be so quick to grab our pitch forks. The employers are just reacting to the climate.

Says the person who first posted about this, made a conclusion, and started blaming people. You are walking contradiction. I'm shocked we dont see threads of you asking yourself questions over and over

Edited by Crayola64

More than pop culture it's the political culture. Control the language along with what can be said and what can be discussed and you control thoughts and ideas.

My concern on this, is that it appears to be like double jeopardy. He is being punished/tried for the same thing twice. First he gets 2 weeks, then they change the punishment months after the incident, the team cuts him, then the League bans him.

As far as having the tape back then;

- Why did the punishment change now?

- And how the heck did they think she got knocked out before he dragged her out of the elevator?

- If she passed out or fell, he did nothing wrong.

- They knew he did it, why so different all of the sudden?

All true, but a picture is worth a thousand words.

I guess.