"a difficult, disappointing day for the commonwealth"

birdog1960

No, you !@#$ing twit. It has nothing to do with "tit for tat". Not one person in this thread has said anything to defend the dude who got convicted.

Of course not, you just tried to change the subject to fake scandals that Republicans are pushing against Democrats. Brilliant! Don't we already have threads for all those things? Or is there never enough talk about what Democrats are supposidly doing wrong that we have to push them to the full even in a thread about a convicted Republican governor. You are such a right wing partisan fool

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course not, you just tried to change the subject to fake scandals that Republicans are pushing against Democrats. Brilliant! Don't we already have threads for all those things? Or is there never enough talk about what Democrats are supposidly doing wrong that we have to push them to the full even in a thread about a convicted Republican governor. You are such a right wing partisan fool

Says the knob-gobbling statist who can't even talk about a vagina without referring to it as "Bush."

see, this nuance things is really slippery by it's very nature. i'll bet that's why you find it so hard to grasp. just pretend your holding a bar of soap. you use soap, right?

anyway, to reiterate (um, explain), "wrong" and "guilty" are likely not equivalent in this case. for example, i think it wrong, that enough foresight and contingenies were not in place to prevent what happened in benghazi. i don't however believe there is criminal guilt to be assigned. i suspect nanker feels much the same on the mcdonnels from what he already wrote here. of course, anyone has the right to change their mind.

I haven't changed my mind though perhaps you and your unwashed vermin friends might over time - when the shoe's on the other foot. The man and his wife were found guilty and will suffer the consequences. Of that there is no doubt. They acted like azzhats - which you probably can relate to on a number of levels having the greedy, money-sucking porcine-like personality that your writings here suggest you have.

My point was this was a FEDERAL prosecution. The Commonwealth of Virginia did not pursue this, the Feds did. IRS-TEAPARTYGATE sound familiar? As yet you still haven't produced a single document - that says they "advocated" for Williams at any level. What accounts you did produce say nothing of the sort - in fact Williams got talt for his "bribes", zero, zip, nadda. I'm just saying that it's curious to me how influence peddling could be proven in a case like this. Though, it was a jury trial and if we learned anything from the careers of ambulance chasers such as the august John Edwards, is that juries can be swayed by emotional arguments to reach illogical conclusions. I haven't heard all the evidence, and neither have you. I don't know what my vote would have been, were I a juror.

You continue to take great delight in watching Agenda-driven Federal agencies use their coercive powers against those that they and you perceive to be wrong/greedy/successful/unbelievers/conservatives/religious/or whatever anti-progressive cause-celeb flavor of the month is in vogue at the moment. Haughtiness and smug are two attributes that don't belong in government. There's already enough of that in people like you. Spreading a cultural marinade of jealousy and greed that poisons the discourse does not a better world make.

My point was this was a FEDERAL prosecution. The Commonwealth of Virginia did not pursue this, the Feds did. IRS-TEAPARTYGATE sound familiar? As yet you still haven't produced a single document - that says they "advocated" for Williams at any level. What accounts you did produce say nothing of the sort - in fact Williams got talt for his "bribes", zero, zip, nadda. I'm just saying that it's curious to me how influence peddling could be proven in a case like this. Though, it was a jury trial and if we learned anything from the careers of ambulance chasers such as the august John Edwards, is that juries can be swayed by emotional arguments to reach illogical conclusions. I haven't heard all the evidence, and neither have you. I don't know what my vote would have been, were I a juror.

As the gifts rolled in, the McDonnells appeared at promotional events and even hosted a launch luncheon for Anatabloc at the governor's mansion. Williams and his associates also were allowed into a reception for Virginia health care leaders at the mansion, and McDonnell arranged meetings with state health officials as Williams sought state money and the credibility of Virginia's universities for research that would support Anatabloc. . from drudge AP linked story

- thought you might have seen by now.

see, this nuance things is really slippery by it's very nature. i'll bet that's why you find it so hard to grasp. just pretend your holding a bar of soap. you use soap, right?

Yeah, I'm one of the great unwashed. I so wish I was able to put aside the realities of life and history so I could spend my days smelling my own farts and pretending I'm not an enormous hypocrite.

anyway, to reiterate (um, explain), "wrong" and "guilty" are likely not equivalent in this case. for example, i think it wrong, that enough foresight and contingenies were not in place to prevent what happened in benghazi. i don't however believe there is criminal guilt to be assigned. i suspect nanker feels much the same on the mcdonnels from what he already wrote here. of course, anyone has the right to change their mind.

I like how you cherry-picked Benghazi, which is the one example of those I gave that has the least amount of facts presented. So very predictable.

You're such a lemming that no amount of evidence will cause you to change your mind. You're all too willing to swallow the MSM narrative and regurgitate it ad nauseum.

Of course not, you just tried to change the subject to fake scandals that Republicans are pushing against Democrats. Brilliant!

Don't we already have threads for all those things? Or is there never enough talk about what Democrats are supposidly doing wrong that we have to push them to the full even in a thread about a convicted Republican governor. You are such a right wing partisan fool

Pointing out liberal hypocrisy when it comes to investigating corruption isn't "changing the subject." The fact is your partisan following knows no bounds, so it's zero surprise that you think every scandal involving your deities is fake. It doesn't fit your narrow view and isn't an opinion the MSM regularly bombards at you "high information" ( :lol:) voters.

Liberals need to be reminded of those things because it exposes you for who you really are.

One more thing: Hating people like you and liberals in general doesn't make anyone conservative by default. Try and fit that into that !@#$ing pea in your melon, as if there's any room left.

Pointing out liberal hypocrisy when it comes to investigating corruption isn't "changing the subject." The fact is your partisan following knows no bounds, so it's zero surprise that you think every scandal involving your deities is fake. It doesn't fit your narrow view and isn't an opinion the MSM regularly bombards at you "high information" ( :lol:) voters.

Liberals need to be reminded of those things because it exposes you for who you really are.

One more thing: Hating people like you and liberals in general doesn't make anyone conservative by default. Try and fit that into that !@#$ing pea in your melon, as if there's any room left.

Liberals are bad! Real bad!

I checked all the usual suspect conservative sites, none (unlike bd's belief) defend the McDonnell's actions.

The closest I can find is this NRO piece that blames the "system"...................................enjoy.

Bob McDonnell Lesson: Be Nice to Your Chef

Knowing now how the Bob McDonnell trial ended, it’s worth taking a look back at how it began: with a disgruntled cook who turned incriminating records over to the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Virginia State Police.

{snip}

The case against Robert and Maureen McDonnell originated in petty malice and never really moved beyond it. That the McDonnnells are going to prison over a total figure of $177,000 is a cruel joke on the public in a state that managed to liquidate $42.7 billion of the people’s money during McDonnell’s last full year in office. The taxes are high, the services are poor, and the traffic stinks. The governor’s wife (one of 50 such counts and countesses across a nation that already pays to maintain a presidential family in high style) is swanning around with an executive chef and that’s considered normal. Yet we’re supposed to be happy because somebody’s been caught with less than the down payment on a four-bedroom house in Loudoun County.

The only government that would not attract oily influence peddlers like Johnnie Williams would be one that does not have billions of dollars in goodies to give away. We have the opposite of that kind of government, and stories like this one remind us that we have it not only in Washington but in many smaller versions at the state, county, and municipal levels. Enforcing gift limits on the Senate candy dish or throwing people in prison for “lending the prestige of the governor’s office” are not going to solve the problem. The low character of so many people around the McDonnells is striking, but can you imagine the kind of people Terry McAuliffe hangs out with? It is foolish to give a person an executive chef and a mansion and a staff and a $43 billion budget, and not expect him to act like royalty.

The liberal Politico addresses the situation.

bd9d151b66dddabbb58ddc92b81cecb1_normal.jpegPOLITICO @politico · 21h

Why is Bob McDonnell looking at years in prison while John Edwards walks free? http://politi.co/1Agf3Fa

10426837_10152263279391680_2078725470150872011_n.jpg?oh=ff697bfcd0b4472ac78dfb236936428d&oe=54954936&__gda__=1419493839_ece19a2ef02acd8aa1057a8f9946f2a5

Edited by B-Man

I'm still trying to figure out what the point of this thread is. It is apparently not to openly discuss the McDonnell conviction, but rather to make a point. I just don't know what that point is.

It's kind of like the Da Vinci code, if you read between the lines what they are really talking about is how my team is going to whoop yours this week. :ph34r:

I haven't changed my mind though perhaps you and your unwashed vermin friends might over time - when the shoe's on the other foot. The man and his wife were found guilty and will suffer the consequences. Of that there is no doubt. They acted like azzhats - which you probably can relate to on a number of levels having the greedy, money-sucking porcine-like personality that your writings here suggest you have.

You continue to take great delight in watching Agenda-driven Federal agencies use their coercive powers against those that they and you perceive to be wrong/greedy/successful/unbelievers/conservatives/religious/or whatever anti-progressive cause-celeb flavor of the month is in vogue at the moment. Haughtiness and smug are two attributes that don't belong in government. There's already enough of that in people like you. Spreading a cultural marinade of jealousy and greed that poisons the discourse does not a better world make.

y'all crack me up. are we following marquis of queensberry rules now? is this site about making a better world? been there, done that. when in rome...and i kinda like it. kidney punches are as low as i'll go. i'll leave the crotch grabs to you all.

• 1 year later...

and for american politics. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/05/us/bob-mcdonnell-maureen-mcdonnell-virginia-verdict.html?smid=fb-share&_r=0. vitamin supplements and a very expensive wedding that needed paying for. $300 golf rounds. couldn't he make do with a $100 round and a destination wedding? guess not. what would the neighbors think? a sad commentary on american politics... anyone disagree?

Clearly, the Supreme Court UNANIMOUSLY disagrees.

Clearly, the Supreme Court UNANIMOUSLY disagrees.

In the meantime, it's coming out that McAuliffe didn't bother to inform VA counties that he was adding 200k felons to the voter roles...but progressive voter rights groups had a couple weeks' forewarning.

But that's okay. Hawking vitamin supplements, that goes to the Supreme Court.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/28/us/politics/supreme-court-bob-mcdonnell-virginia.html?_r=0

“Setting up a meeting, calling another public official or hosting an event does not, standing alone, qualify as an ‘official act,’ ” Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. wrote for the court.

Prosecutors may seek to retry Mr. McDonnell, but under a stricter standard.

“Because the jury was not correctly instructed on the meaning of ‘official act,’ it may have convicted Governor McDonnell for conduct that is not unlawful,” Chief Justice Roberts wrote. “For that reason, we cannot conclude that the errors in the jury instructions were ‘harmless beyond a reasonable doubt.’ We accordingly vacate Governor McDonnell’s convictions.”

“There is no doubt that this case is distasteful; it may be worse than that,” the chief justice wrote. “But our concern is not with tawdry tales of Ferraris, Rolexes and ball gowns. It is instead with the broader legal implications of the government’s boundless interpretation of the federal bribery statute. A more limited interpretation of the term ‘official act’ leaves ample room for prosecuting corruption, while comporting with the text of the statute and the precedent of this court.

Mr. McDonnell, a Republican, was charged with using his office to help Jonnie R. Williams Sr., who had provided the McDonnells with luxury products, loans and vacations worth more than $175,000 when Mr. McDonnell was governor. The gifts themselves were legal, and the question in the case was whether they were part of a corrupt bargain in which Mr. McDonnell reciprocated by using the power of his office to help Mr. Williams.

Mr. McDonnell arranged meetings for and attended events with his benefactor. But Mr. Williams, whose company made a diet supplement, did not have any real success in obtaining support for his product from the state. A jury found that Mr. McDonnell’s actions amounted to corruption, and a federal appeals court upheld the conviction."

In the meantime, it's coming out that McAuliffe didn't bother to inform VA counties that he was adding 200k felons to the voter roles...but progressive voter rights groups had a couple weeks' forewarning.

Of course, the REAL mission was to put the state in the hands of a Hillary crony before the 2016 election,

so overall the prosecution was still a complete success.................... :lol:

Supreme Court vacates Bob McDonnell’s convictions; says concern was not with ‘tawdry tales’ but with government’s ‘boundless interpretation’ of bribery law.

I'm confused. Why was it a 'difficult, disappointing day'? A guilty man was convicted, doesn't that make it a good day?

Isn't it more difficult and disappointing when privileged criminals avoid prosecution completely....and then get nominated for the Presidency?

As the gifts rolled in, the McDonnells appeared at promotional events and even hosted a launch luncheon for Anatabloc at the governor's mansion. Williams and his associates also were allowed into a reception for Virginia health care leaders at the mansion, and McDonnell arranged meetings with state health officials as Williams sought state money and the credibility of Virginia's universities for research that would support Anatabloc. . from drudge AP linked story

- thought you might have seen by now.

But it's okay for countries to donate millions to Slick and HiLIARY's fundation so as to get weapons deals?