Brandon Spikes

Jerry Jabber

5 years ago a run stuffer like Spikes would be a must guy to re-sign. Now that the league has become pass happy, his value diminishes considerably. The key thing to watch will be how much of a liability Spikes becomes when teams implement a gameplan that will look to exploit his coverage weakness.

Understood, but if Kiko was in the Wil, that would cover that up significantly. That's really what stinks about his injury not in missing him in the MLB spot, but what he would have done in weak side spot. He'd have a chance to look like a Derrick Brooks someday. He reminds me a lot of him last year given the years of me watching Brooks and his strengths. Brooks would have been terrible in the run stopping middle LB spot. That wasn't him. Dungy used him perfectly, and he had enormous skills which is why he is in the HOF (well deserved)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spikes and Tebow...were.together in college. They visited Alabama at the same time while being recruited out of high school and met there......after the visit, the 'bama staff ask him where he was going to school, Spikes replied....where ever Tebow goes......and that is the way it happened.

Understood, but if Kiko was in the Wil, that would cover that up significantly. That's really what stinks about his injury not in missing him in the MLB spot, but what he would have done in weak side spot. He'd have a chance to look like a Derrick Brooks someday. He reminds me a lot of him last year given the years of me watching Brooks and his strengths. Brooks would have been terrible in the run stopping middle LB spot. That wasn't him. Dungy used him perfectly, and he had enormous skills which is why he is in the HOF (well deserved)

I guess it really depends on the offense and how it is setup to matchup. But, with more and more teams looking to stress every spot on the field by going the spread/hurryup route that feature multiples of these speedy, receiver types, it really has (will?) become a prerequisite to have coverage LB's out there all of the time in order to counter.

Take the Iggles for example. Let's suppose Chip Kelly trots out a power set with double TE's (Ertz/Celek) and McCoy and Sproles in the backfield. Spikes will be in to stop the running personnel. Foles, seeing that Spikes is in, will formation such that he'll scheme the mismatch he wants and exploit Spikes in pass coverage over and over again until Spikes is removed from the field.

I could see the Pats doing the same thing using Gronk and Wright along with Vereen and the newly drafted RB.

Brandon Spikes departs Thursday practice for short time (Left Knee)

by Marty Gitlin | CBSSports.com

(12:30 pm ET) Bills middle linebacker Brandon Spikes left Thursday practice before a quick return. He went to the trainer's room and had his left knee checked before returning to practice, per WGR.

Spikes signed a free agent contract with Buffalo in March after spending four years as a standout with New England.

Saw it here: http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball/playernews

Or when we had Kelvin Sheppard !!

Ha! When I saw kiko play after years of watching moats, shep and poz, I was like inside linebackers can do pass coverage?

I thought it was a myth, like unicorns and leprechauns.

Remember when we hated Spikes?

:flirt:

Before he was a chippy, over aggressive punk, now he's our chippy, over aggressive punk!

I still can't get over that robe.

Already on my Xmas list. That thing looks NICE!

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I guess it really depends on the offense and how it is setup to matchup. But, with more and more teams looking to stress every spot on the field by going the spread/hurryup route that feature multiples of these speedy, receiver types, it really has (will?) become a prerequisite to have coverage LB's out there all of the time in order to counter.

Take the Iggles for example. Let's suppose Chip Kelly trots out a power set with double TE's (Ertz/Celek) and McCoy and Sproles in the backfield. Spikes will be in to stop the running personnel. Foles, seeing that Spikes is in, will formation such that he'll scheme the mismatch he wants and exploit Spikes in pass coverage over and over again until Spikes is removed from the field.

I could see the Pats doing the same thing using Gronk and Wright along with Vereen and the newly drafted RB.

Bring a safety up on Gronk, drop outside lbs into underneath zone tracking Vareen and wright with AW in center field and send Spikes up the middle to kill Tommy... Gotta collapse the pocket and the upside is spikes can play the run on his way in.

Drop an end into zone too, if you don't want to send more than 4... Lawson is perfect for this.

Bring a safety up on Gronk, drop outside lbs into underneath zone tracking Vareen and wright with AW in center field and send Spikes up the middle to kill Tommy... Gotta collapse the pocket and the upside is spikes can play the run on his way in.

Drop an end into zone too, if you don't want to send more than 4... Lawson is perfect for this.

Spikes on Brady is really the only way but if Brady is given any zone looks he'll eat them alive. Gotta man up on their receivers and disrupt the timing .... but, with the "no touch" rules seemingly in place, this will be easier said than done I suspect.

Not many players could pull that off, I know that. I mean, can you see Scott Chandler standing there answering media questions wearing a casually open blue velour Bills robe with 84 on it?

Nah….Spikes takes it to the next level….needs some Colt 45s and a fine lady…..like the old Billy Dee Williams ads. If someone with talent can photoshop spikes into this pic, we may have something here….

Edited by filthymcnasty08