Perception of the Team. From an Ex Bills Fan

Dr. Trooth

I don't live in Buffalo, and I never have, my dad grew up on the west side, attended Saint Joe's and passed the burden of Buffalo and it's football team onto me

Your story is exactly why I want the Bills to start winning NOW. My daughter has no attachment to Buffalo, has visited it just once, and can pick any team to root for she chooses, and yet despite all the Bills' screwups, and despite having a roommate who is a super Brady/Pats fan, she is a Bills fan because she knows I am. I am just afraid that her patience will wear thin with more losing seasons. A couple of playoff games in the near future could well hook her for life (or until the Bills move to whereever).

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh, I don't believe you can transfer NFL allegiances. At least not passionate ones. One can become indifferent to the team who lets you down for decades, and find some vicarious pleasure in another winning in a way you respect, but being a fan is about your own history and experiences following the team more than anything else. Allegiance to childhood memories and your hometown are non-transferable. I think many of us who have become apathetic over the years (me included) are more likely lying dormant awaiting the return to glory.

Lone exception: If the team leaves town it's over. Done. Deal breaker.

Fortunately, it looks like that won't be the case.

Your story is exactly why I want the Bills to start winning NOW. My daughter has no attachment to Buffalo, has visited it just once, and can pick any team to root for she chooses, and yet despite all the Bills' screwups, and despite having a roommate who is a super Brady/Pats fan, she is a Bills fan because she knows I am. I am just afraid that her patience will wear thin with more losing seasons. A couple of playoff games in the near future could well hook her for life (or until the Bills move to whereever).

I have a baby on the way and the wife wants to get a couple of Bills onesies or shirts for game days. I'm a bit reluctant to. I have an embarrassing picture of myself in a hand me down Tampa Bay creamcicle shirt that still haunts me in the photo album. I'd hate to think the kid would feel the same way if this team doesn't return to respectability.

I have never lived in Buffalo (born in Fl) but my dad and his side of the family are from western NY and I have been a Bills fan since I was a kid.

I'm 26 and after plenty of chances to start rooting for the jags, bucs or dolphins I realized I would be a Bills fan for life. Winning is not the only important thing, personally I enjoy watching the games with my pops and him talking about the glory years keeps me looking forward to when we will be good again. Enjoying the positives and not letting the negative stuff bring you down is a good strategy not only for life but for following the Bills as well. And if we suck by week 10 guess who will still be watching and rooting for our team? The 95% of this board who are real fans, myself proudly included!

If you run away from your team you probably run away from a lot of things in life.

Frankly you seem like a huge p***y who pretends to be some outsider but is really just a dumbass.

“Fight on, my men,” Sir Andrew Said

“A little I’m hurt but not yet slain.

“I’ll just lie down and bleed a while,

“And then I’ll rise and Fight again.”

if you flip teams you were never a fan to begin with. A true fan cannot flip teams. They stick through thick and thin. its in their blood.

So the OP is just filling everyone here full of ****

In fact if the Bills were to leave Buffalo I would stop watching the NFL all together

I have a baby on the way and the wife wants to get a couple of Bills onesies or shirts for game days. I'm a bit reluctant to. I have an embarrassing picture of myself in a hand me down Tampa Bay creamcicle shirt that still haunts me in the photo album. I'd hate to think the kid would feel the same way if this team doesn't return to respectability.

The TB creamcicle jersey was a great look. I bought one for my son about two yrs ago and I'm sorry that he's finally outgrown it. Im hoping to gind him a new one in his size.

There is only one fan base I could see myself joining in the event of losing the Bills, and that is Cleveland. Its a terrible team from a rust belt city on Lake Erie, so I probably wouldn't miss a beat. But even then, I couldn't possibly be as passionate about my fandom.

I've been a Bills fan for as long as I remember. Followed them pretty much every day. I have lived in Columbia SC, Wisconsin, Illinois, and St. Louis. Never stopped being a fan.

Just like you guys. It will never leave me. Can't shake it. Don't want to.

However, I have become a fan of the St. Louis Blues. I still like the Sabres. Used to love them. But I think hockey is a different sport. It's so emotional that you either embrace what's close or it's hard to maintain the love. I still root for them, and watch them when they're on TV, and pay attention to what they're doing. But I have switched to the Blues. Just being honest.

I will never love any sports team the way I love the Buffalo Bills. It's a disease that I am proud to have.

Well Dr. Tooth this might get me a warning point and this thread deleted but this is how I feel. You sir are a scum bag as a fan. Please do all of us a favor and never post on this board again. I have been a fan of this team for over 45 years and have seen my share of some really bad times but I have seen some good times to. This is a good young up and coming team with just a few players away from being a contender. So when the band wagon comes around stay away from it and for the future of our team the Bills are not going anywhere. I have to say I have never been so disgusted with a thread since joining this board. you in my opinion have got to be the biggest disgrace of any football fan their ever was. I for one will always bleed the red, white and blue of the Buffalo Bills which I am very proud to be a fan of. GO! Bills!

"I WILL NOT BE IGNORED DAN!!!!" *putting furry bunny rabbit in a kettle of boiling water*

I've been a Bills fan for as long as I remember. Followed them pretty much every day. I have lived in Columbia SC, Wisconsin, Illinois, and St. Louis. Never stopped being a fan.

Just like you guys. It will never leave me. Can't shake it. Don't want to.

However, I have become a fan of the St. Louis Blues. I still like the Sabres. Used to love them. But I think hockey is a different sport. It's so emotional that you either embrace what's close or it's hard to maintain the love. I still root for them, and watch them when they're on TV, and pay attention to what they're doing. But I have switched to the Blues. Just being honest.

I will never love any sports team the way I love the Buffalo Bills. It's a disease that I am proud to have.

I moved away to Houston four years ago. Never stopped being a fan of either team. Granted Houston only had an AHL team at the time, which I got attatched to. So there are no other passionate hockey fans. Also got Center Ice so I never lost touch with them. And the closest NHL team is Dallas, and I'm still bitter about '99.

After being a fan as a kid, going way back to the mid 60's, and even attending one of the Bills four Super Bowls, I'd become disgusted with the ambivalence of the Bills ownership and what I'd been seeing for several years, especially from 2010 forward. It just was not my Bills anymore. So, I'd had enough, looked at it as a good marriage gone bad and finally run it's course. I divorced and flipped from being a Bills fan to being a Steelers fan. I still very much enjoy football and follow a few teams, but I'm done with the emotional investment in the Bills. The Steelers are what I wished the Bills were or could become. I mean, come on, what Bills fan wouldn't enjoy, on average, a legitimate expectation of the Bills being in the playoffs 63% of the time and a 20% expectation that they will get to the Super Bowl each year... one every eight years (8 Super Bowl Appearances in 40 years). And, I believe the Steelers will either be in the playoffs again this year and have a meaningful game in week 17.

So, when your marriage goes bad, and "run its course," you divorce, and jump into another one? I would suggest that a better, more apt analogy (unless you really are a cur), rather than "marriage gone bad," would be "bandwagon not going anywhere." Obviously, a bandwagon that only sees six, or so wins a season is not much of a bandwagon. And so, you hopped off, and climbed aboard another one. Fine. But, at that point, looking over and informing us (an "us" you no longer belong to) of your "unbiased opinions," will be perceived as intellectually dishonest nose-thumbing.

That is my unbiased opinion of you: an intellectually dishonest nose-thumber.

Dr. Trooth needs to be "sent for". This is the Bills Mafia.

Dude talks about Bills fans with the analogy of a jealous wife. Ok cool. Gangs have a name for his kind also.

Dude has more posts than me on TBD and I bleed Bills. I post at least 10-20 posts a week. This dude sure does post a lot for an "ex" Bills fan.

We're the "jealous ex" according to him. Well then I guess he's the "stalker" then huh?

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

Really? Guys like this would only switch back if they saw a Super Bowl win or at least an AFC championship for the Bills. I have admitted to attending more Seahawks games than Bills games over the past 17 years, but never became, nor will I ever become, relatively close to the Hawks fan that I am a Bills fan. Quitting on your team, in the context of any sport, is sacrilege and sufficient rationale for an extreme shunning.

Edit: I live in the Pac North West, the Hawks games are a proximity-based way to get my fill of NFL live experience. They just happen to currently be a great team to watch.

He would have to come back when we were still on the bottom. You can't jump back on when things are up.