Perception of the Team. From an Ex Bills Fan

Dr. Trooth

I am going to cut the OP some slack. 14 years of losing (in really improbable ways) can do a lot of crazy things to people.

If he wanted to repent and return to us like a prodigal son, I would welcome him back home.

Come back, son. The riches of another 6-10 season await you. :D

Really? Guys like this would only switch back if they saw a Super Bowl win or at least an AFC championship for the Bills. I have admitted to attending more Seahawks games than Bills games over the past 17 years, but never became, nor will I ever become, relatively close to the Hawks fan that I am a Bills fan. Quitting on your team, in the context of any sport, is sacrilege and sufficient rationale for an extreme shunning.

Edit: I live in the Pac North West, the Hawks games are a proximity-based way to get my fill of NFL live experience. They just happen to currently be a great team to watch.

Edited by VanCity

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can associate with someone getting so fed up with the past owner that they jump ship to a different team, and If I had moved to a different locale I might have done the same.

It has been a very difficult 14 years, and knowing that the owner wasn't vested in winning over the team making a profit. His downright refusal to draft a QB with a first round pick, build a proper O line, hire a top NFL head coach.

Lets hope the new owner wants to win as badly as the greatest NFL fans on earth :D

I can't associate with it. I have been gone from Buffalo for nearly 30 years, kept season tickets for the first 15, and have never missed seeing a game. I live in MD but would never even think of "becoming" a Ravens or Deadskins fan. He was obviously not much of a fan to begin with. Good riddance and keep your uninformed opinions to yourself. Please spare me the 14 years of frustration stuff. Anyone else wants to jump off the train, feel free.

I just don't understand how you wake up one day and decide to go be a Steelers fan. I've got no respect for someone like you. Why waste your time here? Go post on a Steelers board about how awesome the Steelers are and how much those six championships meant to you. You have no heart.

I just don't understand how you wake up one day and decide to go be a Steelers fan. I've got no respect for someone like you. Why waste your time here? Go post on a Steelers board about how awesome the Steelers are and how much those six championships meant to you. You have no heart.

He can't, he wasn't a fan of the Steelers when they actually won those championships...

Why not just pick the team that just won the Super Bowl, then you can feel all warm and fuzzy about "your team".

First, no attempt here to disparage or launch an assault on you Bills fans or team in any way. Just my honest unbiased perception of the current state of the Bills. So, please, don't be offended. Some of it may be your own perception.

After being a fan as a kid, going way back to the mid 60's, and even attending one of the Bills four Super Bowls, I'd become disgusted with the ambivalence of the Bills ownership and what I'd been seeing for several years, especially from 2010 forward. It just was not my Bills anymore. So, I'd had enough, looked at it as a good marriage gone bad and finally run it's course. I divorced and flipped from being a Bills fan to being a Steelers fan. I still very much enjoy football and follow a few teams, but I'm done with the emotional investment in the Bills. The Steelers are what I wished the Bills were or could become. I mean, come on, what Bills fan wouldn't enjoy, on average, a legitimate expectation of the Bills being in the playoffs 63% of the time and a 20% expectation that they will get to the Super Bowl each year... one every eight years (8 Super Bowl Appearances in 40 years). And, I believe the Steelers will either be in the playoffs again this year and have a meaningful game in week 17.

You guys are dealing with considerable uncertainty in the Post Ralph era. The ownership, front office, coaching staff, and the potential for either relocation or a new stadium. It does make me a bit sad about any potential for relocation, but for you it's got to be gut wrenching as highly engaged Bills fan. I feel for you and I'm pulling for you to get the right owner and for the stadium thing to work out if that's what it takes.

Even if a new owner takes over tomorrow, though, and is committed to Buffalo, there's likely to be another purge & rebuild, this time perhaps from top to bottom... which may not a bad thing long term, given their performance over the past umpteen seasons. I do hope you Bills fans get an owner that is committed to winning instead of continually pulling at your heart strings and picking your pockets. You're long overdue. If anyone deserves a winner it's you Bills fans. But, it's going to take some time for the new owner to right the ship... example... new NFL owners Khan and Haslam. How are Jacksonville and Cleveland progressing right now?

As for the Bills team right now. Believe it or not, I actually do see some good things, which I hope new ownership spots as well. But, I also see some big question marks, namely...

• Brandon. Brandon has been a good soldier for Ralph, just like Littman. He's a good guy that did his best to operate within the confines of Ralph's parameters. The question is, if the new owner makes the "W" a top priority does Russ have what it takes to meet those expectations? After 17 years in Ralph mode (no win mode) does he really know what it takes to win?

• Whaley. Good football mind, great professional. Like Brandon, he too operated within Ralph's parameters. Except for the drafting of Manuel (some blame it on Buddy Nix) he appears to have done a pretty darn good job of drafting, but as far as bringing in good veteran free agents... Legursky, Chris Williams, Alan Branch, Moeki, Rivers... it seems like Ralph mode to me, although Spikes seems to be a good one. Mike Williams seems to be a good aquisition, but who was behind that, Marrone or Whaley? Whaley does have a track record with a winning organization (Steelers). If the drafting of Manuel doesn't define him though, it may be the fact that he thought Sammy Watkins was the answer instead of being hell bent on getting a real QB. Watkins may well be very good, but will the new owner hold Whaley accountable for not having a QB that can get him the ball?

• Roster... seems solid. Potential top 5 defense. If there are holes it would seem to be OLB and OG... but a huge one at QB.

• QB.... Manuel? The perception of Manuel around the league, media, and most fans of football is not good. The media consensus is that he's somewhere between 30-32 of starting QBs and there's a reason for that. I'd heard about his struggles, but I only caught a part of one preseason game and my impression is that he just does not have the QB gene or natural QB mental acuity. Does not have pocket presence. Sees the rush way too much instead of looking down field, which causes him to make a misstep in the pocket, allowing his protection to break down. Result, sack or errant throw. He also does not get the ball out on time, and has a huge accuracy problem. A QB must make their decision and get rid of the football within 1.8 -3.0 seconds from snap to release 90% of the time. Check the stopwatch on your cell phone the next time Manuel plays . Better yet, have that cell phone stopwatch handy the next time you see Brady, Brees, or Manning play. It's consistently under 2.5 sec. And, Marrone's recent public discontent with the backup QB situation? That was brought up in a conversation with a couple of friends, one a Steelers fan, the other a Patriots fan and it was like whoa, all three of us thought... wasn't that a veiled shot at the QB situation in general, including, and specifically, at Manuel? Was it publically and emphatically directed as much at Whaley? I mean, what coach bitches publically about his backups if he's got an established starter? Does John Fox voice displeasure over Osweiller when Manning is his starter? Is Sean Payton worried about not having a good backup for Drew Brees? If Matt Ryan or Phil Rivers were the Bills starting QB right now instead of Manuel, do you believe Marrone would have expressed his displeasure with the backup QB situation publically, like he did? If either Ryan or Rivers were the Bills starter going into the season, would you care if the Bills backup QB was Tuel? Isn't the backup's job for an established QB to take a knee and once in a while hold the fort down for a game or two if the #1 goes down? If you have to bring in competition at QB, you have a problem. Roethlisburger, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Brady, Wilson, Rivers, Ryan, Stafford, Luck.... do any of those guys have competition? So, I get the vibe that Marrone doesn't believe in Manuel as a bonafide or established QB and was behind the aquisition of Kyle Orton, not so much to be a backup as to be a lifeline for the team when he pulls the plug on Manuel.

• Marrone. Is he a good HC, and more importantly the right HC for the Bills? Well, he was hired when the team was in Ralph mode, so it was only fitting, and true to form, that soon after he was hired, the Bills FO would proceed to emasculate him by getting rid of a vet QB that was serviceable (until a better option was available) then serving him up two vet QBs, one being a concussion or doormat away from ending his career (which happened) and another vet that never accomplished anything. If that wasn't enough, they draft EJ Manuel... a 4-12 year project, if ever. It's like out of the gate Marrone was set up to fail (that's about the time I'd had enough and bailed as a Bills fan). Will the new owner recognize what the FO served him up, or will Marrone take the fall because of the FO's ineptitude in handling the QB situation? I see Marrone as a HC that is in "win now mode". I can't say I see the same from the FO, or maybe they just don't know what it takes to win after being in Ralph mode for so long. In your eyes, has the FO demonstrated they know what it takes to win? I get the feeling that Marrone has a better feel for whether a guy can play at a high level than Whaley. Marrone seems to want high functioning players and Whaley seems to just want to plug holes. Is it just me, or do you see the same? Marrone wants a QB.... so give the guy a QB and then assess his ability as HC. Does Marv Levy go to the playoffs without Jim Kelly? What's the common denominator of every playoff team in the last several years? QB, and a few of those teams have great ones. It wouldn't surprise me if Marrone gets canned if the Bills don't make a quantum leap this year. Personally, and stating this as an ex Bills fan removed from the emotional attachment, I think that would be a big mistake, but hey... it's your team. If he does get canned I believe it will work out for Marrone. I can see him being the successor to Tom Coughlin as the next Giants HC in a year or two. Bills loss, Giants gain.

Right, wrong or indifferent, but respectfully, that's my perception of the Bills team, without bias. I do wish you a successful season (please beat the snot out of the Patriots Dolphins and Jets). I may check in with you guys once during or after the season. Peace be with you. Go Steelers, but Go Bills too.

Well written and rational. Very interesting hearing it from this type of perspective. Excellent post trooth!

Can we just close this thread and ban the "former fan?" There is no reason to keep a stated troll around.

Because banning things is how we solve issues and debate in modern society. How about actually debating someone rather than taking the easy route of suppressing their argument through force? Or is that too difficult?

Bye ya! and Eff off again, just like last time you posted your stupid crap. And Taskers Ghost and Bills Vet, you two should jump ship too lol, I have had you on ignore forever. Why do you guys do this to yourselves? Do you hire hookers to kick you in the nuts too?

There's a lot of intolerance of others opinions around here. As Patton once said, "if everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

I frankly don't care who you ignore because it's clear that you can't tolerate anyone who thinks differently. If you accept failure in the name of fan-hood, more power to you. I don't and if that's worthy of your bluster here, so be it.

Why are so many posters here acting like whiny little bitches who got stood up for the middle school dance?

He bothered enough to write a well thought out opinion of the current state of the Bills from an outsiders perception but also as someone who has in the past followed the Bills closely. It was far better than most drivel I have seen in the media lately.

I did not see anything insulting in what he wrote, and I have to think that most football fans see things the same way.

Time to sack up and grow a pair.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I've rooted for the Bills since a kid in 1960. They're my one and only team. If they leave town and Buffalo has no team, my interest in pro football will be very very low, if at all. When they lose I love to complain about them and tell everyone what I think is wrong. When they win, I'm filled with joy and happiness and brag alot. Either way, I'll always be a fan of the Buffalo Bills as long as I or the Bills are in existence,

I listen to Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller on the NFL channel on SiriusXM radio a lot and their perception of EJ is the jury is still out. In their opinions the Bills will go as well as EJ takes them. EJ has all the talent in place around him and can go to the playoffs if he performs at a high level.

Why are so many posters here acting like whiny little bitches who got stood up for the middle school dance?

He bothered enough to write a well thought out opinion of the current state of the Bills from an outsiders perception but also as someone who has in the past followed the Bills closely.

I did not see anything insulting in what he wrote, and I have to think that most football fans see things the same way.

Time to sack up and grow a pair.

It's actually the best post I have read on this site in a while. It was a good break from all the nonsense that is posted here on a daily basis..

The Bills do not look good right now. This is Marrone's make or break year and he has thrown all the chips on Manuel to do the job. That's good as this is Manuel's make or break year. Using up two number one picks on Sammy is a gutsy move but it had better pay off right away...just sayin...I have a feeling that if we do not get to the playoffs this year the coaching carousel will begin again and the new guy will start looking for a qb.

First, no attempt here to disparage or launch an assault on you Bills fans or team in any way. Just my honest unbiased perception of the current state of the Bills. So, please, don't be offended. Some of it may be your own perception.

After being a fan as a kid, going way back to the mid 60's, and even attending one of the Bills four Super Bowls, I'd become disgusted with the ambivalence of the Bills ownership and what I'd been seeing for several years, especially from 2010 forward. It just was not my Bills anymore. So, I'd had enough, looked at it as a good marriage gone bad and finally run it's course. I divorced and flipped from being a Bills fan to being a Steelers fan. I still very much enjoy football and follow a few teams, but I'm done with the emotional investment in the Bills. The Steelers are what I wished the Bills were or could become. I mean, come on, what Bills fan wouldn't enjoy, on average, a legitimate expectation of the Bills being in the playoffs 63% of the time and a 20% expectation that they will get to the Super Bowl each year... one every eight years (8 Super Bowl Appearances in 40 years). And, I believe the Steelers will either be in the playoffs again this year and have a meaningful game in week 17.

You guys are dealing with considerable uncertainty in the Post Ralph era. The ownership, front office, coaching staff, and the potential for either relocation or a new stadium. It does make me a bit sad about any potential for relocation, but for you it's got to be gut wrenching as highly engaged Bills fan. I feel for you and I'm pulling for you to get the right owner and for the stadium thing to work out if that's what it takes.

Even if a new owner takes over tomorrow, though, and is committed to Buffalo, there's likely to be another purge & rebuild, this time perhaps from top to bottom... which may not a bad thing long term, given their performance over the past umpteen seasons. I do hope you Bills fans get an owner that is committed to winning instead of continually pulling at your heart strings and picking your pockets. You're long overdue. If anyone deserves a winner it's you Bills fans. But, it's going to take some time for the new owner to right the ship... example... new NFL owners Khan and Haslam. How are Jacksonville and Cleveland progressing right now?

As for the Bills team right now. Believe it or not, I actually do see some good things, which I hope new ownership spots as well. But, I also see some big question marks, namely...

• Brandon. Brandon has been a good soldier for Ralph, just like Littman. He's a good guy that did his best to operate within the confines of Ralph's parameters. The question is, if the new owner makes the "W" a top priority does Russ have what it takes to meet those expectations? After 17 years in Ralph mode (no win mode) does he really know what it takes to win?

• Whaley. Good football mind, great professional. Like Brandon, he too operated within Ralph's parameters. Except for the drafting of Manuel (some blame it on Buddy Nix) he appears to have done a pretty darn good job of drafting, but as far as bringing in good veteran free agents... Legursky, Chris Williams, Alan Branch, Moeki, Rivers... it seems like Ralph mode to me, although Spikes seems to be a good one. Mike Williams seems to be a good aquisition, but who was behind that, Marrone or Whaley? Whaley does have a track record with a winning organization (Steelers). If the drafting of Manuel doesn't define him though, it may be the fact that he thought Sammy Watkins was the answer instead of being hell bent on getting a real QB. Watkins may well be very good, but will the new owner hold Whaley accountable for not having a QB that can get him the ball?

• Roster... seems solid. Potential top 5 defense. If there are holes it would seem to be OLB and OG... but a huge one at QB.

• QB.... Manuel? The perception of Manuel around the league, media, and most fans of football is not good. The media consensus is that he's somewhere between 30-32 of starting QBs and there's a reason for that. I'd heard about his struggles, but I only caught a part of one preseason game and my impression is that he just does not have the QB gene or natural QB mental acuity. Does not have pocket presence. Sees the rush way too much instead of looking down field, which causes him to make a misstep in the pocket, allowing his protection to break down. Result, sack or errant throw. He also does not get the ball out on time, and has a huge accuracy problem. A QB must make their decision and get rid of the football within 1.8 -3.0 seconds from snap to release 90% of the time. Check the stopwatch on your cell phone the next time Manuel plays . Better yet, have that cell phone stopwatch handy the next time you see Brady, Brees, or Manning play. It's consistently under 2.5 sec. And, Marrone's recent public discontent with the backup QB situation? That was brought up in a conversation with a couple of friends, one a Steelers fan, the other a Patriots fan and it was like whoa, all three of us thought... wasn't that a veiled shot at the QB situation in general, including, and specifically, at Manuel? Was it publically and emphatically directed as much at Whaley? I mean, what coach bitches publically about his backups if he's got an established starter? Does John Fox voice displeasure over Osweiller when Manning is his starter? Is Sean Payton worried about not having a good backup for Drew Brees? If Matt Ryan or Phil Rivers were the Bills starting QB right now instead of Manuel, do you believe Marrone would have expressed his displeasure with the backup QB situation publically, like he did? If either Ryan or Rivers were the Bills starter going into the season, would you care if the Bills backup QB was Tuel? Isn't the backup's job for an established QB to take a knee and once in a while hold the fort down for a game or two if the #1 goes down? If you have to bring in competition at QB, you have a problem. Roethlisburger, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Brady, Wilson, Rivers, Ryan, Stafford, Luck.... do any of those guys have competition? So, I get the vibe that Marrone doesn't believe in Manuel as a bonafide or established QB and was behind the aquisition of Kyle Orton, not so much to be a backup as to be a lifeline for the team when he pulls the plug on Manuel.

• Marrone. Is he a good HC, and more importantly the right HC for the Bills? Well, he was hired when the team was in Ralph mode, so it was only fitting, and true to form, that soon after he was hired, the Bills FO would proceed to emasculate him by getting rid of a vet QB that was serviceable (until a better option was available) then serving him up two vet QBs, one being a concussion or doormat away from ending his career (which happened) and another vet that never accomplished anything. If that wasn't enough, they draft EJ Manuel... a 4-12 year project, if ever. It's like out of the gate Marrone was set up to fail (that's about the time I'd had enough and bailed as a Bills fan). Will the new owner recognize what the FO served him up, or will Marrone take the fall because of the FO's ineptitude in handling the QB situation? I see Marrone as a HC that is in "win now mode". I can't say I see the same from the FO, or maybe they just don't know what it takes to win after being in Ralph mode for so long. In your eyes, has the FO demonstrated they know what it takes to win? I get the feeling that Marrone has a better feel for whether a guy can play at a high level than Whaley. Marrone seems to want high functioning players and Whaley seems to just want to plug holes. Is it just me, or do you see the same? Marrone wants a QB.... so give the guy a QB and then assess his ability as HC. Does Marv Levy go to the playoffs without Jim Kelly? What's the common denominator of every playoff team in the last several years? QB, and a few of those teams have great ones. It wouldn't surprise me if Marrone gets canned if the Bills don't make a quantum leap this year. Personally, and stating this as an ex Bills fan removed from the emotional attachment, I think that would be a big mistake, but hey... it's your team. If he does get canned I believe it will work out for Marrone. I can see him being the successor to Tom Coughlin as the next Giants HC in a year or two. Bills loss, Giants gain.

Right, wrong or indifferent, but respectfully, that's my perception of the Bills team, without bias. I do wish you a successful season (please beat the snot out of the Patriots Dolphins and Jets). I may check in with you guys once during or after the season. Peace be with you. Go Steelers, but Go Bills too.

Little-known fact that Dr. Trooth is a professional writer. He got paid thirty pieces of silver to write this.

I have decided that I am now a Seahawks fan. If someone could please let me know who the best team is in every other sport, I'd appreciate it because I'm a fan of them now as well. I'm also an ex-fan of loyalty.

The Bills are a good QB and good OC from being a contender. I'm expecting to see Orton starting at some point this season. While it took to the 5th preseason game to get the O-line settled, it happened way too late as it's going to take some time for the O-line to gel. Seeing the O-line unable to open holes in the run game and seeing Glass Joe get hit against the Lions backups was not a good sign. If Marrone was smart, he'd can Hackett ASAP. I feel the defense has improved, same with Special Teams, but the offense has regressed significantly which will be the reason why the Bills will fail (again) this year. I'm going with the 14 year average of 6-10 (again), give or take a game or two. Sorry, no blind optimism from me (until Pegula is the new Bills owner).