Captains announced

eball

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Russell Wilson was named Captain before the start if his second season...

Wilson was also sensational in his first season, with a rating of over 100. The team won a playoff game too. The point is that he was exceptionally good. Manuel, like most rookie QBs, wasn't exceptionally good.

The quarterback is the defacto captain of the team. His lack of inclusion should be troubling to any fan.

I'm curious to see a list of veteran starting quarterbacks who arent captains of their teams. Any takers on compiling this list?

Edited by Just in Atlanta

The quarterback is the defacto captain of the team. His lack of inclusion should be troubling to any fan.

I'm curious to see a list of veteran starting quarterbacks who arent captains of their teams. Any takers on compiling this list?

Well, Big Ben wasn't named captain until his 4th year. Brady in his 3rd. And Thurman tweeted today about how Kelly wasn't always captain, either. The idea that this should be troubling doesn't jive with reality. EJ needs to be a leader on the field. That's all. Being a captain or not has little to do with that.

GO BILLS!!!

well since you brought it up maybe you would do the legwork. I started to and got tired quickly.

curious as to why a list of non captain vet starting QBs is relevant here, since EJ is not a vet starting QB.

You are telling me I should be troubled but I just can't get there. To each his or her own, we all don't need to be troubled.

I posted the list of captains from 2013 on the last page. Guessing not all captains for 2014 have been announce yet.

I'm tired just thinking about the legwork.

It likely took Big Ben several years to mature into a captain position. The Tom Brady fact is quite interesting though.

Lets also consider the voters. I dont think this is cut and dry from team to team.

Bills players voted well i think. Gives EJ a good goal to achieve too . Hearts and minds Right ?

Edited by 3rdand12

Um, EJ isn't a starting vet?

Change troubling to telling. This is a guy that this team is trying to push as the established starter. This is a guy you probably want a C on.

Perhaps if the GM were selecting the captains your statement would make some sense. But they aren't, and it doesn't.

Um, EJ isn't a starting vet?

Change troubling to telling. This is a guy that this team is trying to push as the established starter. This is a guy you probably want a C on.

Who has said that EJ is an established starter? Can you find literally one quote from anyone within the team (or anywhere else) that says that? The coaches and front office on this team know that EJ needs to prove himself this year.

There is a straw man argument that is being brought up over and over here, which seems to suggest that there are people who think EJ is a proven starter. If those people are out there I don't know who they are. If you can find them, feel free to tell them I said they were insane. More insane than someone who thinks it's troubling that a dude that started 10 games last year as a rookie isn't a captain this year.

do you consider him a veteran starting QB?

No but perhaps the term uncontested starter would fit?

Well, Big Ben wasn't named captain until his 4th year. Brady in his 3rd. And Thurman tweeted today about how Kelly wasn't always captain, either. The idea that this should be troubling doesn't jive with reality. EJ needs to be a leader on the field. That's all. Being a captain or not has little to do with that.

GO BILLS!!!

Weren't there many stories of Big Ben being very disliked by teammates? I remember stories of him even refusing to sign for teammates charity events. From the stories that came out during his rape issues, he came across as far from a leader early in his career.

Brady being his 3rd season or 3rd starting? As a rookie he sat, took over unexpectedly year 2 and came into year 3 a starter is why I ask. Doesn't make a big difference, but curious since it's being used as an example.

Edited by NoSaint

I want EJ to improve and to become a legitimate top 10 QB by all measures. He certainly has this year and probably next year to demonstrate if he is on that trajectory or not.

But in his last post game press conference of his 3 for 7 performance, he took the position "I did good, but the receivers dropped the ball". Regardless of whether or not that is true, it sure isn't going to win many votes for captain from the offense. Leadership involves personal accountability. And their is a general perception, fostered by the Bills management actions and words, that EJ is somewhat coddled. All of the players do this for a living. When the head coach says "everyone is competing for a job" and its patently obvious to everyone that everybody excludes EJ, that doesn't win him many votes either.

He is young and hopefully it all falls together for him. For what its worth, the Jets solved this problem by eliminating having captains a couple of years ago.

+1 .....great post ! ..... :thumbsup: