EJ is the guy, but....

Whaley originally intended in 2013 to ease him in and play the veteran Kevin Kolb. All that changed with Rubber Mat-gate.

So now we have Orton and EJ is still struggling some. Would you be upset if they made EJ #2 and let him continue his development backing up Orton who would start?

I don't know how much of a learning curve there is to the Bills offense, or how quick Orton can pick things up. But considering the pressure on Whaley not to flush the season and have Cleveland get a high pick, and the fact that he was willing to let EJ ride the bench before he was forced to play him, and his willingness to flush Lewis and Tuel, I think that this could happen.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Orton is a career .500 QB. In Bills world that is pretty darn good.

i don't think his signing is a threat to EJ as a starter as all. he is at

Least adequate if not a average back up. Which is leaps and bounds better than 3 days ago.

Losing that first round pick may prove painful next spring though.

Whaley originally intended in 2013 to ease him in and play the veteran Kevin Kolb. All that changed with Rubber Mat-gate.

So now we have Orton and EJ is still struggling some. Would you be upset if they made EJ #2 and let him continue his development backing up Orton who would start?

I don't know how much of a learning curve there is to the Bills offense, or how quick Orton can pick things up. But considering the pressure on Whaley not to flush the season and have Cleveland get a high pick, and the fact that he was willing to let EJ ride the bench before he was forced to play him, and his willingness to flush Lewis and Tuel, I think that this could happen.

No way that happens, even though it might result in more wins his year, and might even be better for EJ long term. This FO needs to find out this year if EJ can play and, if not, develop a plan B in the offseason. They have also painted themselves into a corner by repeatedly proclaiming EJ "the Man." Too late to back out now. Edited by mannc

QBs are just not eased in anymore and in retrospect I don't think it would hv mattered if he was, still would hv horrible mechanics, would be inaccurate, etc. They are too far in with EJ to go backwards which would just be dumb IMO. If they ever decide to go with Orton which won't be anytime soon it will be bc EJ isn't playing well and the team is struggling.

We already know about EJ. I hate to say it...but you guys have watched everything that I have. Put EJ on the practice squad. Dig him up in a few years. He's currently not an NFL caliber QB. Orton gives us a shot at a wildcard this year. EJ....even if he stays healthy is too easy for DC's to defend. He's no good. Yet.

I agree that Kolb was meant to be a measuring stick to know when EJ was ready to play, especially given that it was widely recognized that he was raw coming out of college. I think the coaches will give EJ every opportunity early on in the season to maintain the starting spot while Orton learns the offense, however if he falters I could see them going to KO as a stopgap, possibly in game if EJ is sucking it up, possibly for a game or two for EJ to get his head on straight.

My reasoning is: 1) the FO needs to win this season, or they're out 2) expectations on EJ are sky-high, and are likely to affect his play to some extent, regardless of how he appears to be embracing them 3) KO's play should be "overcomable" by EJ as he progresses if he really is going to be the franchise QB. Ultimately, I think KO gives the team the opportunity to have some patience in developing EJ in season while still maintaining some expectation of making the playoffs.

Yes. I would be upset. It would reveal this staff to be fickle, unhinged and poor at planning. If they wanted EJ to be in a fight for his job, that is a decision that should have been made in January. Handing the reins to a guy who has been here a week and didn't go through camp with his brothers is sure to strike a sizable divide in the locker room.

Legitimate or not based on his play, EJ needs to be the guy. They have not prepared for any other situation. I think that he hasn't done enough to lose the job, and Orton sure as hell hasn't shown enough here to have earned it. If after six weeks it looks different and you need a season-saving move, fine.

why?

come on.

All I know is that they had to scale it back for him last year. Maybe his grasp on it isn't as strong as we think.

I'll take EJ's preparation, dedication, and hard work to know his team's system over that of Johnny Fools Gold every single day of the week.

Okay.

All I know is that they had to scale it back for him last year. Maybe his grasp on it isn't as strong as we think.

Eric Wood has been here for more than a few years now and spoke pretty highly of EJ's preparation. That bond and that respect from your center are important. If he says so, I believe him.

Orton does nothing for the future of this team. We need to find out if EJ can play....or not...

This is the type of thing that worries me. It's completely possible that ej can play. At the same time it seems like he is being told to hold back. I've seen maybe 3 "deep" passes by him in the preseason. Either they are limiting his deep ball to hide it since he had issues last year or it is an issue that can't be overcome.

I got it's not the latter.

Eric Wood has been here for more than a few years now and spoke pretty highly of EJ's preparation. That bond and that respect from your center are important. If he says so, I believe him.

He also threatened to kill a team mate. Do you believe that too?