Colts Release Kelvin Sheppard

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an hilarious argument. "The fallout slaughtering of the Colts in this trade" resulted in 11 wins for the Colts and how many for the Bills? I like Jerry Hughes, but the Colts didn't screw up their first round qb choice and the Bills did. In the big picture the Hughes trade is not a real difference maker-it's not significant in the overall success of either team. That is why their GM doesn't get slaughtered-they have back to back 11 win playoff seasons.That achievement is not even in sight for the Bills' GM.

That's one way to look at it. Another way to look at it is they really had no choice to make whatsoever. It was clearer-cut even than the Manning pick. Yeah, their GM might've lucked into Luck, but don't kid yourself about who's better between him and Whaley.

You need to have your head examined for post-concussion syndrome, Kirby.

Kelvin Sheppard was the worst starting LB we have fielded in quite some time. Started for a year and a half, and I don't recall a single play he ever made that was of any significance. When the Dougs took over, he was their first order of business, and the jettisoning of him told me they might at least have a clue.

Easy there...Not that Kirby needs me to say anything...But that's my boy there...At least add a wink or something...Your take was valid...Is the insult really necessary to advance the conversation?... B-)

You need to have your head examined for post-concussion syndrome, Kirby.

Kelvin Sheppard was the worst starting LB we have fielded in quite some time. Started for a year and a half, and I don't recall a single play he ever made that was of any significance. When the Dougs took over, he was their first order of business, and the jettisoning of him told me they might at least have a clue.

Please find where I said that he was a good STARTING LB?!? The question is he better than ANY LB on the roster? If he is then bring him in, if not move on. It's like the people that say that they would rather Hogan than Stevie. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Thanks KOK. I like the spirited disagreements with valid points, but get so turned off by guys that make personal attacks. It's unnecessary, and denegrates the author for losing their cool.

FWIW, I loved the move for Hughes and turned out great. The next time people keep bashing whaley, look at so many of the good picks he's made. anyone complaining about kiko?

All GM's including Polian made mistakes.

Thanks KOK. I like the spirited disagreements with valid points, but get so turned off by guys that make personal attacks. It's unnecessary, and denegrates the author for losing their cool.

FWIW, I loved the move for Hughes and turned out great. The next time people keep bashing whaley, look at so many of the good picks he's made. anyone complaining about kiko?

All GM's including Polian made mistakes.

:thumbsup:

Easy there...Not that Kirby needs me to say anything...But that's my boy there...At least add a wink or something...Your take was valid...Is the insult really necessary to advance the conversation?... B-)

Sorry guys, I was not intending a personal attack at all, but making a joke with reference to his username. :oops: Of course Kirby Jackson was a decent fringe/nickel CB for us, and I was going to say stick to the defensive backfield.

And I guess it shows just how strongly I feel about what an awful LB Sheppard was in the league when he was here.

Edited by HankBulloughMellencamp

Sorry guys, I was not intending a personal attack at all, but making a joke with reference to his username. :oops: Of course Kirby Jackson was a decent fringe/nickel CB for us, and I was going to say stick to the defensive backfield.

And I guess it shows just how strongly I feel about what an awful LB Sheppard was in the league when he was here.

I think that some due credit should be given to the coaching Staff during Kelvins tenure. Wanny probably scarred him pretty bad . Much less Edwards and Fewell . But wannstadt messed up alot of players .

The Hughes trade was a very good trade, but it is a bit hard to go overboard praising the front office for trading a flop that should never have been drafted, not to mention the fact that the guy actually started. Of course, Whaley is a huge upgrade to that old doof Nix, so that may explain a lot of things.

It's not just the Sheppard/Hughes trade. These moves have all been pretty good too:

1. Trade for Mike Williams - yes, I know he hasn't played a regular season game yet but that has all the makings of a good trade.

2. Free agent pickups Brandon Spikes and Corey Graham.

3. Getting a 4th for Stevie Johnson when he was clearly extra baggage.

4. Dan Carpenter pickup.

5. Whether you like EJ Manuel or not, trading down from 8 to 15 and picking up a 2nd and then drafting Kiko Alonso was terrific.

6. Signing Kyle Orton.

7. Personally, I love the Sammy Watkins trade up. I think he will be vindicated on that one because I think Watkins will be a top 3-5 receiver in the league.

There are moves that haven't worked out (re-signing Branch, but who knew he would totally take the money and become a slug?), waiting on a backup QB can be criticized, but overall I think Whaley's the best GM the Bills have ever had except for Polian. He's better than Butler, who was a fantastic scout but not a great GM (rode the Polian coattails for the most part).

And that was a mistake in hindsight i bet.

Just a strategy. A lot of coaches who are known to be offensive or defensive guys do it to some degree. Chan did it to the extreme but that wasn't really his problem. His problem was choosing the wrong guy to hand over all the reigns to, and then, even worse, when it clearly wasn't working, he didn't step in and demand change. So in that respect, you're right. That was a mistake in hindsight, not being more involved so he lost the defense. It could have worked if he hired, say, a Pettine or a Schwartz.

The Hughes trade was a very good trade, but it is a bit hard to go overboard praising the front office for trading a flop that should never have been drafted, not to mention the fact that the guy actually started. Of course, Whaley is a huge upgrade to that old doof Nix, so that may explain a lot of things.

Most of the credit wil be going to Whaley down the road , for the quality of players he brought in even with some muffs.

I feel strongly that Whaley's defining effort Will be and Is , what he has done to revamp the scouting staff.

This group is doing very well and has potential yet.

No one can deny that our defense is Top Notch talent wise ? This part of the Bills org. is the best we have had in forever. Aquiring and maintaining .

It's all good...And what Bills fan does not remember the incredible Kirby Jackson!!! :thumbsup: