Other Teams scraps...QB Cuts? Games to watch for QB's on the bubbl

MClem06

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, and for the second year in a row, the front office apparently could not care less about the position. Oh, wait, they thought Thad Lewis was good. What a surprise.

Thaddeus was good. What happened to him if anything (keep in mind who is saying he got worse)? Why did he get worse? Why hasn't Tuel Time progressed? Smells like bad coaching.

Why don't we have someone better than Tuel Time and Palmer? Poor talent evaluation peraps?

I look at the QBs that other teams traded for or signed in the off season and they're all better. ie. McCown, Pryor, Grossman, Kellen Clements, Shaun Hill, Joe Webb, Colt McCoy. Some sharp decision makes at OBD figured that Thaddeus and Dixon and Tuel Time were all better. This smells like incompetence.

Edited by reddogblitz

Thaddeus was good. What happened to him if anything (keep in mind who is saying he got worse)? Why did he get worse? Why hasn't Tuel Time progressed? Smells like bad coaching.

Why don't we have someone better than Tuel Time and Palmer? Poor talent evaluation peraps?

I look at the QBs that other teams traded for or signed in the off season and they're all better. ie. McCown, Pryor, Grossman, Kellen Clements, Shaun Hill, Joe Webb, Colt McCoy. Some sharp decision makes at OBD figured that Thaddeus and Dixon and Tuel Time were all better. This smells like incompetence.

They are paid to make these decisions and they have failed miserably.

Thaddeus was good. What happened to him if anything (keep in mind who is saying he got worse)? Why did he get worse?

Here is my take on Thad for right or wrong.

I think he was a gamer. The guy's best skill was improvisation. He did that a lot when he played last year because he hadn't been here long enough to really know the playbook and to get coached. So he relied on his natural football instincts and natural athletic instincts which were good enough for him to pull out a couple wins.

But this year in camp, he had time to absorb the playbook and had time for the coaches to assess his ability to learn and implement their system. Obviously he couldn't do that. So he was rightfully cut. That is what I think happened. I don't think that was incompetence. They should have cut him. I liked Thad, but he is not a good quarterback. In my opinion of course.

Be on the lookout tomorrow because I'm sure Marrone will be dumpster diving to sign a few guys before the roster gets cut to 53. Not sure why this team waits until the very last minute to try and fill holes that the fans have complained about for months but whatever.

Fans don't coach in the NFL for a living but could see some of these issues coming months ago and yet the guys that eat, sleep and breathe NFL football couldn't try and solve these problems sooner.

if you say Thaddeus was good it can only be by how you saw him play in the games. He was going to be cut by the Lions. He wasn't highly regarded. He hadnt played all that well, outside of a late season game for the Browns.

Myself, I thought he played last season way better than I expected. The Bills coaches, front office, and a good number of fans thought he may indeed be a decent backup. Some didn't. The Bills, on purpose, didnt pursue a vet QB in the off season as a threat to be starter, or even as a threat to Thad. There were not a lot of great options but some.

But...

In OTAs, in training camp, and in preseason games, Thad sucked. Woefully bad. There were no good reports from anyone at any time. I held out hope that he was a "gamer" but he looked terrible in games, too. It's very hard to convince yourself that a guy who has played terribly in OTAs, camp, and games will suddenly be good. So I understand it. But Tuel hant been much better, and hasnt shown that he can be good in games.

Here is my take on Thad for right or wrong.

I think he was a gamer. The guy's best skill was improvisation. He did that a lot when he played last year because he hadn't been here long enough to really know the playbook and to get coached. So he relied on his natural football instincts and natural athletic instincts which were good enough for him to pull out a couple wins.

But this year in camp, he had time to absorb the playbook and had time for the coaches to assess his ability to learn and implement their system. Obviously he couldn't do that. So he was rightfully cut. That is what I think happened. I don't think that was incompetence. They should have cut him. I liked Thad, but he is not a good quarterback. In my opinion of course.

I think the gamer theory went out the window with the bad PS game performances (which mirrored practice). Now I suspect coaching and/or bad 2nd team offensive talent, for example - hate to say it - Kouandjio

Edit, sorry I didn't totally read your post, looks like you are suspecting coaching too, only from the players ability to handle it side. That could be, but Im still wondering about the coaching itself

Edited by Just Nguyen Baby

Call me crazy but something tells me Chase Daniel is going to make an impact in this league at some point. Also he would easily be the number 1 on the Bills.

He doesnt have the size or arm. Guys like him never make it. If you don't have the size you better have a cannon, like Brees and Wilson. He's not a great scrambler either. I cant think of one player who ever really made it in the NFL like Chase Daniel.

While hating the fact that we may have to roam through other peoples garbage to "upgrade" our QB backup position, I was just looking at teams that have Depth at the QB position that would be a possible scrap heap for the Bills if Palmer looks like dookie tonight. Since It's only preseason this may be a good reason to watch teams other than the Bills for these "on the bubble" Players:

Baltimore: Keith Wenning 3rd stringer - Bad show so far but former 10000 yard college career at Ball state. Won against Miami threw 6 tds in the game.

Washington: Colt McCoy - former starter for the brownies we all know the story here, undersized but big heart.

Cincy: AJ MCCarron or Matt Scott - the Bungles have 4 QB's right now so there will be opportunity here to watch how they play in their last chance.

Pitt: Landry Jones will probably end up being a PS guy and he looked horrible in their last outing.

Colts: Chandler Harnish - They've been reserving this guy , no nfl game exp to speak of but threw a td and 180 yds in this years preseason games so far.

Titans: Zack Mettenberger - Developmental guy 3rd string no exp.

Broncos: Zac Dysert - if they only keep 2 QB's.. which they may want 3 since Manning is up there in age.

Cheifs - They have 4 QB's and Chase Daniel is their back up which could change. Tyler Bray & Aaron Murray are the options behind Daniel.

Raiders - Trent Edwards... Just checking to see if you were still reading. No thanks, Capt checkdown can get cut and play arena football. He's 4th on their depth chart.

Giants - Curtis Painter - Some real game exp - 8 games started for Indy 1500 yds 6tds 9ints ...

Eagles - Matt Barkley (listed as 3rd str) starting their 4th preseason game

Lions - We'll get a look at their 3rd stringer Kellen Moore tonight, but so far this preseason he's at a 115 passer rating not too shabby.

Vikings- Ponder - NFL experience , may end up chopped if they don't trade him.

Pats - Mallet - Pats evidently have been looking to get something for him.

Joe Webb tanked any chance the Vikes had in that playoff game. He had them pining for Ponder. I put him almost in the Brad Smith category. He's got talent, but he's not an NFL QB.

Learning experiences and I wouldn't really mind our back up having play off experiences. He does well with a decent amount of time and can seemingly make all the throws. But I liked him in Minni too.

Good work, OP. Thanks!

It should come as no surprise that I'm hoping to see Manuel on the list. Of all the QB's mentioned who could get a Turk visit, he's the worst. JMO.

I'm sorry, what?

I highly doubt they see the waiver wire. If Bills were worried about losing Tuel last year, no way do teams put QBs with real talent on waivers. Bills will have to work out a trade.

So they keep 4 QBs gambling on a trade? Roster spots are pretty valuable these days. Only way that works is if there is another guy on the roster with a short-term injury, on inactive with great depth behind him, PUP situation or the new IR from which you can return.

After tonight's game, where Kellen Moore carved up up our defense, I almost feel sorry for anyone who thinks Kellen Moore can be an NFL QB.

What about an NFL backup?

So they keep 4 QBs gambling on a trade? Roster spots are pretty valuable these days. Only way that works is if there is another guy on the roster with a short-term injury, on inactive with great depth behind him, PUP situation or the new IR from which you can return.

The only shot we have is with teams who have 4 QBs, and even then they may get creative. There's a reason QB is the hardest spot to fill on a team

Ponder would be best but I think the Vikes would be smart to hold onto him. I like Chase Daniel but he has a decent contract and doubt he is cut.

Matt Scott and Trent have already been cut

Matt Scott is a Russell Wilson type of player. Like him as a backup.