Anybody hear John Clayton's comments this morning?

eball

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That highschool QB looked pretty good for the better part of a season.

Water closet?

I'm assuming you mean Cassell. And while he is far from a great qb, he isn't going to start for his 3rd NFL team and has made a pro bowl & the playoffs. He might have just been decent to begin with.

But you're right. Belichick is such a genius he knows to pick Qbs inthe 6th and 7th round. :)

Honestly couldn't this statement apply to almost every team? There is so little difference in overall talent level across the league. Look at what Indianapolis did with and without Manning/Luck. There are great players everywhere. Look at St. Louis. They might win two games this year with perhaps a top 5 defense now that Bradford is gone. It is all about the QB. Russell Wilson is far from Brady, Brees, Rodgers, or even Luck but he plays well enough.

As many have said they shoudl just keep drafting a QB every year until they find a Romo or Brady. I thought this year it might be Murray but probably will be wrong on that. Trade down in the second round and get an extra pick and take a flyer on a QB sometime.

I know there a lot of BB haters here, but I do agree, swap QBs and coaches with NE and it's playoffs for the Bills. Buffalo actually has better overall talent than NE beyond QB. But the coaches at NE have a history of getting superior performance out of mediocre talent, while the Bills coaches have a history of getting mediocre performance out of superior talent.

I'm assuming you mean Cassell. And while he is far from a great qb, he isn't going to start for his 3rd NFL team and has made a pro bowl & the playoffs. He might have just been decent to begin with.

But you're right. Belichick is such a genius he knows to pick Qbs inthe 6th and 7th round. :)

Resuts matter. Cassell got him wins; not on his own, but, wins just the same. Where he was drafted doesn't enter the equation at least for me...

What did Belichick do without Brady? Nada. He became a great coach after Brady. His specialty, defense, has helped hold NE back for a while now.

I know we hate him but what if Edwards became a good qb? Guess who suddenly is a great coach? Dick Jauron. Great Qbs make great coaches. IMO, the best coaches in the NFL are Carroll and Harbaugh because they can win no matter who the qb is.

He won a playoff game with Cleveland (something the Bills haven't done since 1995) and went 11-5 with Matt Cassell (and 5th in offense that year!).They missed the playoffs that year because of tiebreakers despite being probably the best team in the afc by the end of that season. That season, they won their final 4 games and outscored their opponents 133-54. He also was the defensive coordinator for two giants SB winners, the 1996 Pats SB team, and the 1998 Jets team, which went 12-4.The His DC work with the Giants is rightly legendary -- better than any coordinator work in Buffalo Bills history. The Jets prior to his arrival were 29th out of 30 in points allowed; in the next three seasons their D finished 6th, 2nd, and 9th. He also had the guts to jettison Bledsoe for Brady in late 2001, which many coaches wouldn't have done. With regard to cleveland, it wasn't his fault that he had to coach a team that announced it was moving prior to the 1995 season, generating an unprecedented PR debacle for the NFL.

It's important to get the facts right. He's a HOF coach.

Edited by dave mcbride

I'm surprised Clayton said that. I see 5-11 because for a bad team a good pre-season does not always bode well; however a bad pre-season usually spells defeat. I have no faith in the offense because the line is poor. Spiller and Jackson were an outstanding pair of backs. A good Oline that keeps them from getting hit consistently in the backfield would have been a total pain in the ass to play against in a pass happy league. Organizations win to use a tired phrase and an organization that has drafted this high for this long should have more talent. The topper for me was Bryd the first home grown ProBowler in over 10 years and that dissolves in acrimony. Put another way if 10-6 is a reasonable expectation how does this Bills team force a good team to do something it doesn't want to? If the Dline was as good as advertised wouldn't they be able to stuff the run for a quarter? For a game? no matter what the talent level is at LB and DB is? I understand the Watkins gamble. I just think if you want to help the QB you build that line first and for that you some quantity at the top of the draft.

I think that is the assessment for most rational people here, the Bills will go as far as EJ can take them.

This should be the Fan motto right now .

If we are going to focus in the issue. Let it just be EJ .

The Bills FO already said it for us anyways.

Go Bills

Edited by 3rdand12

me2 but Ginger was hot!

idiots.

I am taking the old broad . and all her money.Mrs Thurston Howell the third!

then buy ginger And marianne.

the skipper too.

wth not ?

Bills will come out of the gate slow and build steam. Even if they take the Bears game . Which i can only hope they can at this point .

They have depth now and the Coach can keep them hitting the sleds .

Hackett might be able better execute this season after a year under his belt as and NFL OC. I think he has a lot to offer.

I do expect him to succeed this season if his QB can play steady. It will be the run game to open up the pass game . which Is all about execution imho

the D will find its home sooner then the O under Jim S. i might guess though.

Edited by 3rdand12

Lots of good points made here. The Patriots are obviously very good in the scouting department and coaching You can tell that by the fact that they tend to get very good production out of lesser known guys. When you add in the fact that they have one of the all time great quarterbacks, it is no wonder that they are perennially good.

Even though I hate the guy, I have to admit that Belichick is one of the best coaches in the NFL. He has had a number of different assistant coaches come and go. Yet they get good production pretty consistently. They are something to aspire to.

Even with all that said though, they don't win the AFC east year after year without Brady. Brady is BY FAR the biggest difference maker in that team. Their defense gives up less points because opponents usually start with a long field.

It's 100% true. The difference between us and the Pats is Brady. It's been that way for the last 5 years. We get 6 to 7 wins starting Lewis, Fitz, Edwards, & Losman. They get double digits because of one guy. It's really that simple.

Flip it this way. Imagine if Brady had our Wrs. That said, we also can't lose games where we score more than 24 points, which happened twice last year.

Besides qb, where are the Pats better than us? Oline used to be but now that's a question mark for them. I guess you could say their lbs, DBS, & TE. But I'd favor the Bills in dline, Wrs, & rbs.

Don't forget the coaching. It is a big difference between the Pats and the Bills during the 15 year run. Their coaches have been able to coach up average talent on the OL to keep Brady upright and the time to throw. They have converted a lot of no-name players into good to superstars. Even the year they lost Brady, they went 11-5 with Cassell.

Anyhow, we do now love John Clayton, and Go Bills! :nana:

Two years ago, Clayton had the same thought about the bills. He thought Fitz was mature enough to lead the team that had a very good DL and OL.

Billacheat is a cheater!!!!!!!! On top of having talented Brady - it makes for a tough team to beat. I say we start full on cheating this year - it's not like the NFL would do anything about it other than destroy any evidence. Then you could always throw in the Refs - let our players hold & not call it along with mugging WRs & then let our WRs run out of bounds & catch TDs without any calls, etc. Etc....

Not sure how this thread turned into a Bill Belichick thread, but I will say this: I believe he's the best coach in the history of the NFL.

C.Biscuit - you and I see eye-to-eye on the vast majority of topics, but I know we disagree on this one. The most common argument against BB is that he has had Brady and he did nothing prior to having Brady.

I challenge anyone to name the head coach of an NFL dynasty who did not have a superior QB.

Does anyone here think that Marv Levy would have led the Bills to the playoffs with Frank Reich for an entire season? Not a chance in hell.

BB did it without Brady. BB makes the personnel moves that help Brady to be successful. BB changes game planning as Brady ages and slows. Not a coach in NFL history masters the pre/post-game pressers like BB.

And don't even start with the cheating crap, please. That is a joke.

He's the best. Fair and square. And Bills fans just hate that he's been on the wrong side of the ball for all these years.