Bills sign QB Jordan Palmer

FluffHead

Here is one all you Anti-Ejites can frame: "The one thing we dont want to do is just to hold on to people just to make ourselves look right, general manager Doug Whaley told Ben Volin of the Boston Globe on Monday. Thats a lesson weve learned. Hey, lets cut bait and move on."

http://m.espn.go.com...542&src=desktop

Except for first round picks, eh?

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good move...at this point (unwise to be in this predicament). It's too late to get someone to challenge EJ and most of these guys want to start. You needed to find a veteran happy to help EJ and Tuel to get them in the best possible frame of mind to start. The Bills made the mistake of betting everything on Manual this off-season when they should have had a plan B. Lewis was no help to the other two. At least Palmer may be able to help them between the ears. Look, everyone was hoping EJ would be great by now but that was always unrealistic, ESPECIALLY considering the team around him. He is improving...slowly - and hasn't imploded yet like Edwards and Losman, etc.

QB is a very fragile position and you need to develop confidence. It's kind of hard to do that when everyone overreacts to the mistakes and ignores the good play. If we all worked under that kind of pressure we'd quit. I swear if guys I know are criticized even once they can't handle it! Maybe Manual needs some support?

The issue isn't what's available now, the issue is why did this FO put us into this situation in the first place. No Plan B !!!!

1- They could have drafted a QB in middle rounds as a backup and contingency (Savage, McCarron and/or Mettenberger)

2- They could have signed a vet backup and have them push EJ and compete (Vick, McCown)

3- They could have made a trade (Cousins, Hoyer)

4- They could have kept their 1st round pick in 2015, just in case EJ isn't the guy

Good organizations contingency plan. This one isn't good and didn't.

All eggs are still in the EJ basket. If he isn't the guy, we are screwed this year and most likely next year.

Let's all hope EJ is good, because for this FO, HOPE IS A PLAN

You sound a little bit like someone who shows up for Thanksgiving dinner and is shocked to find turkey and cranberries on the table. Yes, all the eggs are in the EJ basket; that's the idea, and that's the reason for trading up for Sammy, signing a QB coach, fiddling with the O. No way were they going to sign a vet to "push EJ," and no way were they going to tell McCown the starting job is wide open. Do you not yet get it? They are all in on EJ and so long as he makes progress this year, they'll be all in with him next year. Stop being surprised by turkey and cranberries. Edited by yungmack

No they don't. That's the exact opposite of what I said.

Trust me, we all understood your implication. You don't know why the braintrust at OBD doesn't see what you already know -- EJ is a bust.

You sound a little bit like someone who shows up for Thanksgiving dinner and is shocked to find turkey and cranberries on the table. Yes, all the eggs are in the EJ basket; that's the idea, and that's the reason for trading up for Sammy, signing a QB coach, fiddling with the O. No way were they going to sign a vet to "push EJ," and no way were they going to tell McCown the starting job is wide open. Do you not yet get it? They are all in on EJ and so long as he makes progress this year, they'll be all in with him next year. Stop being surprised by turkey and cranberries.

Plus McCown would have to Brain dead to believe it is an open competition, but thats besides the point.

Bringing in a guy that isn't clearly better than EJM would be a mistake. Not because EJM is "too sensitive" to fend off competition, but because it could divide the team. BAD MOVE.

EJM is the guy, and while it might be nice to have a better backup, this team isn't at a point where a backup can "save a season". There is no one that would come in for a few games, throw the 12 or so passes per game that the coaches would call for him (not counting hail mary's and clock stoppers), and have much more impact than Tuel.

The hand-wringing over the backup QB on this board is over the top. This team has way bigger concerns.

how many teams have cut landon cohen?

Well then hire him as a QB coach. Don't blow a roster spot on him. That's crazy.

From the SI article:

"They drilled daily. But Palmer believes the greatest advantage he can give them is the knowledge he gained by bouncing around the league. Palmer has had to adapt to six different offensive systems, and each time he had to learn the playbook quickly or get cut."

Palmer was cut---6 times by 4 teams! 3 times in the preseason!

I know, right? I went in order and did my reply, i was certain someone in the following 12 pages would have replied in kind....

No, too long. Surprised it took 13 pages to hit that softball

Yungmack:

I am surprised how they are handling the QB positioned, actually shocked and disappointed.

QB is by far the most important position in team sports.

Not having a Plan B, is not akin to showing up for Thanksgiving and finding turkey and cranberries. That analogy would make sense if we had a proven QB. EJ is still a huge risk. Not having a Plan B is more akin to not having backup systems on a jetliner.

I was happy last preseason when they went to camp with a competent veteran QB to compete or backup EJ

Yungmack:

I am surprised how they are handling the QB positioned, actually shocked and disappointed.

QB is by far the most important position in team sports.

Not having a Plan B, is not akin to showing up for Thanksgiving and finding turkey and cranberries. That analogy would make sense if we had a proven QB. EJ is still a huge risk. Not having a Plan B is more akin to not having backup systems on a jetliner.

I was happy last preseason when they went to camp with a competent veteran QB to compete or backup EJ

I would have been more comfortable had they shored up the BACK UP position in the offseason, but there never was even a million to one chance that they were going to do anything whatsoever that would have seemed like undermining EJ and that includes a mid-round QB pick. It comes down to this: the Bills are all in on EJ. More than that, I really think they believe he's going to be a great one. We may doubt EJ but they don't.

My analogy to Thanksgiving has to do with a certain waste of time that goes on around here with helpful advice to the FO about who they could drag in at the last minute as a starter for the Bills. Ain't happening this year and I doubt it's happening next year. And the sooner posters get over that particular fixation, the better their emotional and mental health will be. EJ is the starter, and the only starter, on the Bills and the FO is more than comfortable with that so we might as well be too.

Darn good interview. He's already more valuable than Tuel. ;)

I'm sure he could give that "I'm so thrilled to be here" speech in his sleep at this point in his career.

Don't you have to be on the field to be a "coach on the field"?

I'm sure he could give that "I'm so thrilled to be here" speech in his sleep at this point in his career.

Don't you have to be on the field to be a "coach on the field"?

Plus, he's not one to just throw superlatives around willy-nilly!!

Jordan Palmer @JwPalms Follow

I'll be wearing #bears gear and supporting the bears for the rest of my life. Regardless of what happens. This is the best org in the NFL.

4:20 PM - 24 Aug 2014