Please watch this! Especially at 2:45

PO'14

Tasker was a great Bill, but he sucks balls as an announcer. Only one worse is his partner. I'm sure he believed that just as much as in the 2nd half when he called for a defensive hold against TB and could not believe the zebras missed it. Repeated it a couple time. Horrible non-call. Then on the replay you could clearly see there was not even any contact at all, much less a hold. Unless they are telling a story about years gone by, you can't believe anything those 2 homer clowns say during a game.

About play calling in the 2nd half changing. I can't say because I left the house at halftime and didn't get back until about the 4th I think.. But the Bills 1st offense came out against the Bucs 2nd defense from what I hear. So I'm sure the play calling changed, and changed again when the Bills 2nd's took the field.

The offense played terrible in the first half. There is no harm or shame in anyone admitting that. It was glaringly obvious. Just deal with it and move on.

I'm not saying the Bills didn't play horrible in the first half. The entire offense and pass defense were really bad, I know this. The offense was running the same few plays over and over again, I didn't need Tasker to tell me, but it confirmed it for me. In my opinion EJ is a QB that had all the measurables they were looking for but was raw in many other areas. He's young and needs some help from the other areas of the team and most importantly the coaches, especially the first half of this year. But he's not going to be able to carry a team when the o-line is getting it's butt kicked on almost every play, when good gains are getting called back over and over again, when receivers are slipping and tripping and fumbling, when the OC is not helping him out in the least bit. When you have first and ten near mid field and finally get pretty good first down yardage on a pass to Chandler and there is a hold, now first and twenty again Spiller rips off a big run, nope wait illegal hands to the face now is first and thirty and the drive is over. If you watch the third quarter I think you'll be able to see there were some totally different plays called, like a fake hand-off boot-leg pass that looked sharp. I read a few weeks ago the complete playbook would be used and EJ was not limited in the playbook. I sure hope it's more than ten plays deep or else it's going to be a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong year.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don;t understand why you wouldn't want to work on something during games and what are they possibly going to run that a team will not be able to adjust to fairly quickly. Imo with Ej I would rather run the full offense as often as possible . We will see soon enough

Agreed. "Saving" stuff seems like a lame excuse.

Plus, didn't we hear from Marrone how all that matters in these preseason games is winning, and how they treated this week's game as a real game all week, including with how they prepared? So, they prep like its a real game, and then don't roll out a real gameplan?

Plus, didn't we hear from Marrone how all that matters in these preseason games is winning, and how they treated this week's game as a real game all week, including with how they prepared? So, they prep like its a real game, and then don't roll out a real gameplan?

That is a great point and I forgot about him saying that...

They still don't really game plan like they do for a regular season game, nor do they run the offense or plays that they will in game one. CJ came out and flat said it this week.

It doesn't really matter. I for one am not ever going to abuse a OC for his playcalling in preseason. There are all kinds of things we are not privy to that the coaches are trying out and looking to see.

That said, EJ has to be able to throw the ball to open receivers when the play is going, no matter what play is called. OL have to block their man across from them game planning or not. Dbs and Cbs have to cover their man when the ball is snapped regardless of game planning and vanilla schemes.

The only way the exhibition "limited play book" makes sense is if they have an entirely new play book.

Otherwise won't they be running, for the most part, plays they ran last year? Plays which any opponent will have seen on film? And once you spring these "mystery plays" you've been hiding until the first game, does that mean you'll not be effective the rest of the season because - Gasp- you've shown your cards?

I think it's all a bunch of psychological hooey.

Disclaimer: I have not played football since Little League, but I did stay at HI Express last night.

Edited by WotAGuy

by my count.. EJ dropped back to pass 23 times in the first half.

he was sacked twice, and went 11/21/84 yards - including going 2/4/17 on plays brought back by penalties, and the one pick.

6/9/35 to RBs - all short range

2/3/13 to TEs - all short range

3/9/36 to WRs - 8 short range and 1 deep

i'm sorry, but all this talk of 'not showing anything' is irrelevant to his performance.

In an effort to develop a pocket passing pro from an option QB collegian, they've replaced whatever natural play making skills he has with a set of rules - reinforced throughout the spring and summer - resulting in the mechanical man wearing #3 who looks little like the athlete they drafted. I'm not familiar with his FSU days, but i doubt EJ would have reached national attention had he played like this for the Seminoles.

They've installed a clock in his head by timing his footwork to the routes, and when it hits 4 the ball is coming out - which is fine - except that he starts looking for his safety valve at 3. Look at the numbers.. I find it hard to believe that our talented WRs were draped by TB defenders on 13 of 18 pass plays (i'm counting 5 passes to the RBs and TEs as set plays). My biggest concern is that's how it still looks to EJ when he gets to 3. He has little confidence throwing deep routes, or he's had it drummed out of him - that and the running.

I'd rather they coached him to throw it deep, or run for your life, just to reset the kid.

Disclaimer: I have not played football since Little League, but I did stay at HI Express last night.

and it shows because you obviously fail to grasp the fundamentals of the game. i'll spell it out for you.

hackett is a boy genius. he hoots. he hollers. sometimes he exclaims "yeah, baby!" and fist pumps after a particularly successful play.

but that's not the point. let's say ej were to go out there and make a few completions. now how do you think future opponents would react? they probably would start preparing for it, right? the boy genius knows this so he does the opposite and orders ej and co. to stink up the joint. now future opponents come in thinking that it's an easy win, and there's no reason to game plan. they take it easy, maybe don't even arrange a curfew the night before the game. and that's when the bills strike! doing some crazy-ass plays and things you never even heard of -- like a three quarterback wishbone set. or running an exotic blitz while on offense! stuff that's never before been done in the history of the game.

total surprise attack. just like when the germans bombed pearl harbor.

Edited by Dirtbag

and it shows because you obviously fail to grasp the fundamentals of the game. i'll spell it out for you.

hackett is a boy genius. he hoots. he hollers. sometimes he exclaims "yeah, baby!" and fist pumps after a particularly successful play.

but that's not the point. let's say ej were to go out there and make a few completions. now how do you think future opponents would react? they probably would start preparing for it, right? the boy genius knows this so he does the opposite and orders ej and co. to stink up the joint. now future opponents come in thinking that it's an easy win, and there's no reason to game plan. they take it easy, maybe don't even arrange a curfew the night before the game. and that's when the bills strike! doing some crazy-ass plays and things you never even heard of -- like a three quarterback wishbone set. or running an exotic blitz while on offense! stuff that's never before been done in the history of the game.

total surprise attack. just like when the germans bombed pearl harbor.

Thanks for clearing that up. Makes total sense now. I'll be on vacation in Southern Utah for the first two games , but will be in Section 130 for the Chargers game. I'll buy you a $9 beer - stop by!

Thanks for clearing that up. Makes total sense now. I'll be on vacation in Southern Utah for the first two games , but will be in Section 130 for the Chargers game. I'll buy you a $9 beer - stop by!

let's drink 'til we puke like alan branch!

You guys should know football better than this. In preseason you don't show the playbook. So we are overreacting to a lot of this. However, many times in the season you run the play they are looking for which is when execution takes over. My concern is the lack of execution by the O-line mostly. When it is 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 you have to blow the other team off the line and when it's 3rd and 10 you have to pass protect. That's the concern. They are tinkering so much with the line it will be hard for the execution to look good. Maybe that is the issue - they are making the mistake of not getting players comfortable with what they'll be doing this year.

Remember the Kelly days? Everyone knew the plays the Bills were going to run but they still worked because they were talented enough to win their matchup. Hopefully things gel fast and they settle on some people in some places soon.

What does this have to do with a starting QB that can't even throw a screen pass accurately?

Actually I remember saying to myself a couple times in the second half, "now that's how you throw a swing pass." A couple throws to Spiller, etc., actually were well thrown....

Maybe it is because I watched the game on tape delay, or maybe I am just a hopeless romantic... Going in, I didn't know what exactly happened in the game, but thanks to some Facebook spoilers, I was lead to believe the Bills starting offense was awful, in epic proportions...true it was no masterpiece, and they killed themselves with a few bad plays, and stupid (or questionable)penalties...but I thought they did some nice things too. Call the watered down playbook a lame excuse, but there is simply no way for me to believe play calling won't be a bit more imaginative come week 1. This may be the most hysterical overreaction to a preseason loss that I can remember...

Not sure why this is supposed to make me feel better about anything. Nice beard, though.

Was just going to comment.. Very nice beard.. More impressive than Fitz's.

Edited by Meark

Not that I don't agree with your point on what Marrone said, but aren't both comments equally a crock of ****?

Not that I don't agree with your point on what Marrone said, but aren't both comments equally a crock of ****?

In an early press conference Marrone said he would show nothing in preseason. So to me he is either an idiot or pulling the wool over all our eyes.