EJ, WRS, etc., and a suggestion or 2.....

It occurred to me that if Watkins even ALMOST lives up to his hype, EJ will have no less than 3 wideouts who are clearly superior to Stevie Johnson. This of course is only my opinion, but a strong one.

Woods looks very good, and forgive me because I did not know just how good Mike Williams is. Not only that, Chandler is still there and the young TEs really don't look so bad.

The defensive front is so strong and deep that a player like Searcy can deliver big plays. Spikes is one true football player and Bradham looks like a different person out there imo. I consider the secondary to be at least average.

Sounds good, right? It's not. EJ was flat out terrible last night and if it continues, there needs to be 100% accountability. Not from EJ mind you. Not many people on this planet can be good NFL QBs.

As far as I'm concerned if he doesn't improve, Marrone and Hackett should not last the season. Whaley and Brandon (who I think hired Marrone)should also be shown the door. These men staked their careers on EJ, to include trading away a first round draft pick. They didn't draft a qb in later rounds when there were many out there.

In some way, this mess must be cleaned up. When EJ rolled out early in the game, he hit Williams with a nice pass. In the pocket he was awful and has a lot to learn.

The good news is that this team can win if EJ isn't horrible. Sadly, the latter is far from a foregone conclusion.

You point out EJ was terrible but fail to mention the entire offense was terrible and at the top of the list was the o-line. Giving up pressure from everywhere especially up the middle, penalties, I mean first and thirty, and that don't count negating a 8 yard pass to Chandler and twenty something yard run by CJ. The rest of the offense was slipping, tripping, fumbling, and bumbling their way around the field. EJ needs to improve, I'm not a total homer, but in no way is he going to be able to carry this team especially in the first half of the season. If you want to see what EJ needs look at Seattle, he needs a stout defense, good special teams, the o-line needs to be very good(which playing with the current lineup I think they will with a few weeks of playing together) RBs and WRs have to be better. Also having your #1 WR in the lineup would help. The OC has to call more than 8 different plays in the first half. That's was as vanilla play calling in the first half as I've ever seen. Again I know EJ needs to improve I'm not saying he doesn't, he's not going to be able, at least yet, to carry this team when everything is going wrong.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been watching pro football for 50 plus years. This offensive line needs time to come together. It may take half the season to do so. The first half of this game showed who EJ is right now. The second half showed us who EJ can become. I hope that the offensive coaching staff, head coach and GM are up to the task of developing the full potential for this team. Playoffs will not happen this year but this team can make great strides in the second half of the season. The best case scenario is for a slow start and a strong finish. The fans are going to need more patience. Bad coaching and bad fans can put us back to square one again.

Woods vs NE last year. Nice anticipation for 20 yd TD. Goodwin vs Jets. I am confident he will be serviceable this year. I'll keep track of your posts after he wins us five games this year with his passing...the other five wins will be run game and defensive takeaways.

The pretty pass to Stevie in the back of the end zone week 1 against New England.

I have been watching pro football for 50 plus years. This offensive line needs time to come together. It may take half the season to do so. The first half of this game showed who EJ is right now. The second half showed us who EJ can become. I hope that the offensive coaching staff, head coach and GM are up to the task of developing the full potential for this team. Playoffs will not happen this year but this team can make great strides in the second half of the season. The best case scenario is for a slow start and a strong finish. The fans are going to need more patience. Bad coaching and bad fans can put us back to square one again.

Yes, evaluate EJ, the players and the coaches at the end of the season.

These men staked their careers on EJ, to include trading away a first round draft pick.

It seems like Watkins has a strong chance to be the real deal; which is great because we need a go to play-making WR. The push and the heat the FO is feeling to get to the playoffs led them to make a poor decision IMO.

That being said, we should have just given up our 2nd rounder this year this year to move up. The first next year, with an unproven EJ is inexcusable and creates too many potential issues going forward...

That's not germane to the discussion of NFL quarterbacking. All too often EJ is criticized for making the very check down throw he didn't make in that particular instance. He tried to make something else happen and it ended up very badly.

There are times to hit the check down and times to make a play. On this play it was check down all the way.

This is an excellent post. Well balanced thoughts.

EJ didn't pass the eye test. Even though it's only preseason, the home crowd took a good look at him and booed him off the field, presumably in front of their kids. When has a QB ever been booed off the field in preseason? This is top news on NFL.com today. Fitzy was very disliked and had some dismal outings in preseason, but nobody booed.

Bad coaching and bad fans can put us back to square one again.

Bad fans? Sorry but a portion of the fans could have made better decisions than a lot of the idiocy we have witnessed.

Bills Fans are great. People see my license plate holder, open their windows and yell "GO BILLS!" And I am 450 miles away.

You and I didn't hire the sorry lot of coaches and GMs that have held this team back.

Nope, the fans are innocent and loyal to the core. I think we are the best fans in the NFL.

Bad fans? Sorry but a portion of the fans could have made better decisions than a lot of the idiocy we have witnessed.

Bills Fans are great. People see my license plate holder, open their windows and yell "GO BILLS!" And I am 450 miles away.

You and I didn't hire the sorry lot of coaches and GMs that have held this team back.

Nope, the fans are innocent and loyal to the core. I think we are the best fans in the NFL.

100x this. Anyone still rooting this team on is a real die hard, and blaming the fans for the staggering incompetence of management over the years is idiotic.

@ChrisTrapasso

EJ missed Woods down seam (hit as he threw) & missed Hogan on similar play later, but other than that, he was accurate. Check downs > sacks.

Relative to how much WCO QBs check down, EJ didn't do so too often yesterday. Getting ball to Spiller / FJax is smart.

Another thing: EJ's throws on comeback to Williams and Woods, seam throw to Chandler, and rollout / TD to Williams were high-caliber tosses.