Top 3 Concerns

I have one general concern with this team and that's attitude. I'm not talking about them having bad attitudes, just that the team that we all root for has lacked a "pulse" so to speak.

This season rests on whether Marrone can get them to consistently play with a "take no prisoners" attitude.

I think we're all tired of the never-ending trend of slow starts. This team needs to fire out of the gate beginning with Chicago where I hope that Hackett comes out with a "guns-a-blazin'" mind set. Forget Chandler and Jackson...go Williams, Watkins, Woods and Spiller and try to throw 14 points up on the board before the Bears know what happened. A "take no prisoners" attitude from the opening kickoff is what's been lacking more than anything else IMO. They now have the horses to do this, so do it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My top three concerns:

1) EJ Manuel

2) EJ Manuel

3) EJ Manuel

The success of this team ultimately boils down to the quarterback. The most important position in footfall.

Actually, the Bills continually overemphasizing the sole importance of the QB role is EXACTLY the first reason the Bills have their decade+ record of missing the playoffs.

It is truly ironic to me that the ultimate impact of the amazing work Jimbo did for the Bills is that the Bills and our Superfan Ralph continually have shortchanged building a playoff worthy team.

one sees this in specific examples:

1. This fan was personally surprised in 1994 when the Bills did not acquire through the draft, DA, trade, or whatever a back-up QB to develop to succeed Jimbo. Jim was great. I saw no immediate need or desire to replace him. However, it was clear even to those of who loved his play that between his age, his bursa sac, and the possibility of "normal" NFL injury that setting up and acting on a succession plan at QB was an important thing for the Bills to do. It was actually a pretty weak QB draft class (trent Dilfer is the only SB winner I saw, but perhaps a FA. The Bills then doubled down on the decision to put all the eggs in the Jimbo basket by Mr. Ralph agreeing to an illegal handshake deal with Jimbo to not give him a new contract which might hurt the Bills management of the salary cap, but instead to reward him in his next contract. A concussion simply meant that there in gfact no next contract and the lengthy journey into the non-playoff night began.

2. The next year, it was so obvious we needed a plan B at QB that the Bills reached to get Todd Collins in the 2nd (many draft gurus had him going in the 3rd at best (ironically 1 QB available in the 4th round was none other than Rob Johnson. The bad thing about our addiction to doing stupid things to address our QB over-focus caused us not only to draft too early for Collins but we then rushed into a starter's role having him become our starter when he clearly needed to have a case of happy-feet trained out of him (if it ever could have). The TEAM paid the price.

3. Our desperation mounted as we then saw the Bills waste a 3rd round pick trading for Bill Joe Hobert. He was so bad we ended up cutting him in mid-seaspn.

4. Our over-focus on QB actually led to a good move in that Bills exec AJ Smith proved willing to take a risk to get Doug Flutie to sign a low cap hit contract with a ton of performance incentives and a promise to let him win or lose the QB job on the field. I wish all contracts were like this. However, our psychosis led Mr. Ralph to make a move that involved him signing a big check that only he could do. The Bills not only traded the big 1st round pick the market demanded for a QB (whether it was a good move or not) but even more football stupidly signed him to a guaranteed contract. This had the twin devastating impacts of guaranteeing RJs cap hit even if he turned out to be injury prone (which he was and could actually be seen in his brief early NFL career) and second, the size of the RJ deal basically assured him of being the starter and made our promise to Flutie a lie. When RJ got hurt as could have been seen as likely and DF performed as well as AJ Smith said he would, his achieved incentives not only rolled into our cap but also became permanent in his contract. We ended up with so much cap space allocated to the QB position we were forced to extend but eventually cut Flutie.

5. A series of the Bills trading draft picks, heavy pressure to be a savior (that no player is gonna make from Osman to Edwards to the pre-mature ordination of Fittzy proceed.

The thing I likemost about the current regime is that they are focusing as much or more on building a TEAM as the flailing around looking for the perfect QB some want ton do

2. Th

Here's mine:

- Injury Risk: we just don't have a lot if depth in some key areas and always seem to get the bug

- Secondary: with loss of Byrd and Gilmore not stepping up, this is defense's weakest unit

- Red Zone Offense: yards won't translate into victories if we can't score TDs in red zone. I like Chandler but just think he's too easily pushed around in red zone, doesn't get position like an NBA power forward. And our running game can't pound it in consistently enough

1. Hackett - Hasn't shown the ability to game plan around our talent.

2. Secondary overall - Its got potential, but I worry about consistency

3. Injuries - For what ever reason this team is decimated by injuries every year and we are thin at several key places

Honorable mention: EJ - I have confidence in EJ and like his future, but I am also a realist and know he still holds the keys to our season and still unproven.

Not that they rise to top 3, but after Saturday my 4 thru 6 concerns are:

- Punting: does moorman ever get off a booming punt anymore? Seems like returners are always running up about 5-10 yards from where they were positioned because the kicks are on the short side. This matters because field position is so important, and running starts makes us vulnerable to TD returns

- Offensive line: they just don't seem to have their act together and reg season is less than 2 weeks away. We can be as stacked as we want at the talent positions, but without quality performance from the o-line it won't matter

- Deep Ball: I know this is somewhat related to o-line protection, but still do we ever take a shot down field? Good teams always seem to find a way to take some shots down field

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

My top 3 concerns are:

Stopping other teams on 3rd down. We need more 3 and outs and can't let teams convert 3rd and longs.

Hackett's play-calling - specifically, I want him to abandon the no-huddle if it's the right thing to do and I want him to use Spiller in a way that he can get more all-purpose yards.

Special teams - I absolutely hate the fact that Danny Crossman is still collecting a paycheck and I hope he can change my mind.

You're top two are the ones that keep me up at night, Gugny.

If I were to tack on a third, it would be OLine, including the OLine coach. Are we better off there than we were during the Chan Gailey years? It doesn't seem like it.

EJ

OG

Coaching as a whole, although mostly Hackett.

I don't think Hackett is bad. Yet. He needs to prove he is up for the job though. Last year was an incomplete. As does Marrone as far as game time decisions and game planning. Our secret weapon hasn't been utilized yet either, which should help.

Backup QB is 3a.

EJ

OG

Coaching as a whole, although mostly Hackett.

I don't think Hackett is bad. Yet. He needs to prove he is up for the job though. Last year was an incomplete. As does Marrone as far as game time decisions and game planning. Our secret weapon hasn't been utilized yet either, which should help.

Backup QB is 3a.

Shhh. It's a secret.

Its been hard to get a good sense of the offense with Sammy out the past two games. Its like they are playing with one hand tied behind their back. When Sammy is on the field, this team will be better. Without him? A bunch of no TD drives. Plus Hacketts play calling has got to improve. Unless they are just playing vanilla in the pre season.

Here's mine:

- Injury Risk: we just don't have a lot if depth in some key areas and always seem to get the bug

- Secondary: with loss of Byrd and Gilmore not stepping up, this is defense's weakest unit

- Red Zone Offense: yards won't translate into victories if we can't score TDs in red zone. I like Chandler but just think he's too easily pushed around in red zone, doesn't get position like an NBA power forward. And our running game can't pound it in consistently enough

1) QB

2)BACK-UP QB

3) QB!

Here's mine:

The new illegal contact rules are going to kill GIlmores game, he has to adjust, or will never be more than an above average to average CB. I think it really could change the trajectory of his career