Bills season tickets are over 46K & they announce a new policy

bbb

Most since 2009 and have a few more weeks to go. Impressive.

But, I don't get this new policy:

"The team will no longer announce games as sellouts prior to 72 hours before kickoff, according to Marc Honan, the team's chief marketing officer.

Honan said the Bills were seeing "wild fluctuations" in the ticket market after announcing games as sellouts.

"Fans would go to the secondary ticket market," Honan said, "and end up paying as much for an outdoor seat as they would for a club seat."

For one, if the game is a sellout, what does it matter what happens on the secondary market. And, I don't even get what he's talking about - "paying as much for an outdoor seat as a club seat". - Does that mean the clubs go lower or the regular seats go higher?

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/08/12/season-ticket-sales-46000-bills/

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably both. Long time club seaters dump their tickets at face value or below and stay home and watch on TV while late comers pay up to get tickets anywhere they can . Something like that. Especially in bad weather.

If the blackout policy is eliminated, there will be a lot of empty seats in the Ralph. And the league wants a new stadium? who is going to pay for it? Are NYS and Erie county paying $1b for a stadium while half the fans stay home and sit in bars watching on TV? Plus RWS ticket prices probably increase 50-100% once a new owner is done paying $1b for the team.

This stadium demand is the 800 lb elephant in the room, IMHO. Could take a long time, but I cannot find a party for whom is makes sense to invest that kind of $$ in that market for 10 -15 events per year... but in L.A....

"The team will no longer announce games as sellouts prior to 72 hours before kickoff, according to Marc Honan, the team's chief marketing officer.

Honan said the Bills were seeing "wild fluctuations" in the ticket market after announcing games as sellouts.

"Fans would go to the secondary ticket market," Honan said, "and end up paying as much for an outdoor seat as they would for a club seat."

For one, if the game is a sellout, what does it matter what happens on the secondary market. And, I don't even get what he's talking about - "paying as much for an outdoor seat as a club seat". - Does that mean the clubs go lower or the regular seats go higher?

It means sellout announcements incinuate a supply shortage to the marketplace allowing sellers to increase prices. It sounds to me like a "if anyone is going to make extra profit on ticket sales it should be the bills, not resellers"

I'm still wondering with the new price tag what kind of ticket price hike will be needed to make any business sense....

In the past when the bills would announce a sellout, they would be refering ton all non club seats being sold out. In almost all cases, individual game club seats could still be purchased for the sold out games, of which many go unsold (you see all those empty red seats on game day). People think the game is a sell out, go to stubhub and purchase overpriced seats at the same price as what club seats would have cost. Bills are upset as they're losing money and will make an emphasis to sell unsold club seats for individual games.

Sell outs to lift a blackout dont include club seats. And the point is, the general public can still purchase individual club seats at face value, direct from the Bills. Next "sellout" just look at all the empty red club level seats or M&T club seats that went unsold.

Don't want to come off as a pessimist because 46K is an improvement from recent years, but I disagree that 46K is an impressive number. I have to believe that that puts the Bills in the bottom tier of the NFL in terms of ST holders.

I dont think its bad at all. Each one of us 46K should be given medals of loyalty as they havent made the playoffs in the 2000s, havent won a playoff game in like 20 years and are going for a 7-peat of last place finishes. 46K too isnt bad. NFL average attendance is like 64K.

About 10 teams have waiting lists. I have little doubt the Bills will need one when/if they become an actual competitive member of the NFL.

Don't want to come off as a pessimist because 46K is an improvement from recent years, but I disagree that 46K is an impressive number. I have to believe that that puts the Bills in the bottom tier of the NFL in terms of ST holders.

Do you have any numbers to back up your beliefs?

the bills feel they are losing revenue (which they are).

instead of getting 100% of the revenue from unsold expensive club seats. they're only getting 10% of the inflated aftermarket ticket prices for regular seating from the NFL ticket exchange, which in many cases is just as much as the club seat price direct from the bills.

why cant they just say:

"Game will not be blacked out, but seats are still available at Buffalobills.com?"

why deceive?

Greed, which will be the collapse of the league eventually. How many corporate ticket holders will care or buy tickets In Buffalo?

new ownership unless they not only save the team from leaving. cannot keep tickets at price levels that for some teams are where they were in the early ninety's. $25 or $30 endzone seats. are you kidding me. At jarrah's palace a obstructed view standing only seat is over $100.

Who made this policy? brandon? he may be gone despite the wonderful 14 losing seasons he has been a part of since he was hired. Forget his awesome regionalization job. he sells a garbage product year after year.

Just like if a new stadium is ever built. How many people in WNY would pay for PSL's? My guess is not many. The exonomy cannot support those things.

Greed, which will be the collapse of the league eventually. How many corporate ticket holders will care or buy tickets In Buffalo?

new ownership unless they not only save the team from leaving. cannot keep tickets at price levels that for some teams are where they were in the early ninety's. $25 or $30 endzone seats. are you kidding me. At jarrah's palace a obstructed view standing only seat is over $100.

Who made this policy? brandon? he may be gone despite the wonderful 14 losing seasons he has been a part of since he was hired. Forget his awesome regionalization job. he sells a garbage product year after year.

Just like if a new stadium is ever built. How many people in WNY would pay for PSL's? My guess is not many. The exonomy cannot support those things.

thats where I am. There is a cap of what people will/are capable of paying. Sabres like to throw out that they are in the bottom 3rd of the NHL in pricing, but if you look at comparisons, the 'common' seats now are actually very competitive. Its the premium seats/seats on the glass that dont cost a ton that drag the average down.

Bills can do the same thing once they are competitive. Cap season tickets, create the perception of perpetual demand, and creep the ticket prices up. People dont cancel with the threat of a waiting list.

A new stadium with all the frills, expensive seats, PSLs, etc cant be sustained here. At least cold turkey after/during a nearly generation-long failure.

In the past when the bills would announce a sellout, they would be refering ton all non club seats being sold out. In almost all cases, individual game club seats could still be purchased for the sold out games, of which many go unsold (you see all those empty red seats on game day). People think the game is a sell out, go to stubhub and purchase overpriced seats at the same price as what club seats would have cost. Bills are upset as they're losing money and will make an emphasis to sell unsold club seats for individual games.

This.

Fans get screwed by paying too much to resellers for crappy seats and Bills are stuck with great seats that cost about the same as the resold junk seats.

But all this becomes moot as you will know 72 hours before the game. That's plenty of time to score seats. I just wish they would do more to punish the resellers, while making it easy to legitimately sell your unused tickets. Resellers hurt everyone.

Greed, which will be the collapse of the league eventually.

The NFL over the last 15-20 years is all about building new stadiums to increase revenue and the most recent CBA basically requires the NFL to do just that. What's ironic is more people are choosing to remain at home and watch the game without all the added costs of tickets, parking, concessions, and their time.

There's no doubt the league's popularity has exploded over the past 10-15 years. Yet, there are also other options available, particularly for more budget minded fans who can't get to the stadium to watch. I think the NFL is flying to closer to the sun than ever before.

damn, i was really expecting roger goodell to chime in by now. since he's m.i.a., i'll do my best:

/slips on blue blazer

//adjusts striped tie

///dyes hair a sandy brown

"the national football league values and appreciates its many fans. policies like this reflect this sentiment since they are designed to greatly enhance the fan experience. thank you for your continued support in making the national football league the greatest sporting entity in the world and good luck to your team this year."

Edited by Dirtbag

This.

Fans get screwed by paying too much to resellers for crappy seats and Bills are stuck with great seats that cost about the same as the resold junk seats.

But all this becomes moot as you will know 72 hours before the game. That's plenty of time to score seats. I just wish they would do more to punish the resellers, while making it easy to legitimately sell your unused tickets. Resellers hurt everyone.

Actually, a lot of the "resellers" you rally against are the ones who make the Bills viable in the first place. Lots of people from out of town are season ticket holders, and often times eat substantial portions of the ticket price for games in nov and dec when the weather is bad. I hope a new stadium is a dome.