I'm officially allowing myself to be excited about Mike Williams

YoloinOhio

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick! It's an emergency! I need to find my phone!

...because I f'n called it! :flirt:

Horrible and forced pun aside, back when we first got him, I expected him to be a starter on the outside. The fact that Woods and Watkins have been so good that they have him as WR 3 ought to make us giddy, His ability to go up and just get the ball is nothing new. I looked over his highlight reel, and it is just packed with him just snatching balls away, right when they look like guaranteed INT's.

That's why I was shocked he didn't come down with the TD in the HOF game. I love that route though, and I'm hoping we see a lot more of it when the season starts...only, you, with him catching the bal.

That said, I agree that individuals will not put up huge numbers because we will spread it around.

Williams, Watkins, Woods...the RB's...the TE's...what you say is true, and not to derail this thread...the biggest positive about SJ being in SF. He would not have adjusted well to 2-3 looks a game.

EJ will throw 6000 yards and 50 TD's. They'll all be happy then.

:lol: WR's are never happy, they always want more. :lol:

Yea I don't think you can compare our pass attempts to the Seahawks... we are going to be running the hurry up offense at times so we will be way up on their number of pass attempts. But I do think you'll see the ball spread about. Not sure this is a roster where you are going to have, for example, one guy totalling 1,000 yards and others lagging behind. See it more as an offense where you might have 3 or 4 guys in the 500-800 yard territory (I'm thinking Woods, Watkins, Williams and maybe Chandler).

When we acquired him, he was a potential threat to the locker room. A thug. A distraction.

When we slowly brought him into practice, he was a disappointment, a possible "surprise cut".

Kinda weird how wrong the media has been so far about this.

When we acquired him, he was a potential threat to the locker room. A thug. A distraction.

When we slowly brought him into practice, he was a disappointment, a possible "surprise cut".

to be fair, hes still very much a potential knucklehead/troublemaker.... but as long as he keeps positive, we should see good production out of him.

the surprise cut was just one guys report, wasnt it? and pretty much everyone called him an idiot, if i recall.

Edited by NoSaint

Horrible and forced pun aside, back when we first got him, I expected him to be a starter on the outside. The fact that Woods and Watkins have been so good that they have him as WR 3 ought to make us giddy, His ability to go up and just get the ball is nothing new. I looked over his highlight reel, and it is just packed with him just snatching balls away, right when they look like guaranteed INT's.

That's why I was shocked he didn't come down with the TD in the HOF game. I love that route though, and I'm hoping we see a lot more of it when the season starts...only, you, with him catching the bal.

Yeah, I'm right there with ya. I expect him to make that exact play for a TD at least three times this season.

Also, I've been ecstatic about him since day one, and for a the price we paid!? FUGGET ABOUTIT!

That said, we might not be able to afford to keep him next year.

Yeah, I'm right there with ya. I expect him to make that exact play for a TD at least three times this season.

Also, I've been ecstatic about him since day one, and for a the price we paid!? FUGGET ABOUTIT!

That said, we might not be able to afford to keep him next year.

I don't want to get ahead of ourselves... but if he plays well enough to want to keep him, why could we not afford his contract? All of our other WRs are on rookie deals.

There is a big difference between a knucklehead and a thug or a bad guy. I don't think Mike Williams was ever either of the last two. He was young and did some stupid stuff, but it was mostly things like buying a house in a place called "The Sanctuary" and having late night loud parties where the cops were called because of noise. The last time he was in trouble was because HE got stabbed, and according to his agent he got three stitches. Even his Syracuse career was young and careless stuff not bad guy stuff.

We do need him to not be a knucklehead and he seems on the right track.

That not doing well thing was as No Saint pointed out, one guy Rodak, who hates the team he is covering and does a crappy job. Then a few other people picked up that same erroneous report, as other writers found out the real reason he wasn't playing.

Thought the comment from Marrone in this recent article was very interesting (telling)

http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2014/08/doug_marrone_mike_williams_syracuse_buffalo_syracuse.html

"He's been outstanding," Marrone said. "He really has. I think, and Mike knows this, I think it’ll be a big transition when we go back to Buffalo for him. I don't think you could have asked for anyone to have had as good of an attitude, worked as hard as he has, have made plays like he has."

Seems Marrone thinks the real test will be how he can behave when he gets back in with his buddies back in Buffalo

I don't want to get ahead of ourselves... but if he plays well enough to want to keep him, why could we not afford his contract? All of our other WRs are on rookie deals.

I'm wondering about the weight of his contract vs. the weight of the rest of team and some other notables we have coming up on extensions: Gilmore, Glenn, Spikes, Dareus, Spiller...those just off the top of my head.

I'm wondering about the weight of his contract vs. the weight of the rest of team and some other notables we have coming up on extensions: Gilmore, Glenn, Spikes, Dareus, Spiller...those just off the top of my head.

I am sure Whaley is prepared to pay him if he is worth it. Most teams have at least one WR on a veteran contract.

Thought the comment from Marrone in this recent article was very interesting (telling)

http://www.syracuse....o_syracuse.html

Seems Marrone thinks the real test will be how he can behave when he gets back in with his buddies back in Buffalo

Yep. Being sequestered at SJF is one thing. Can't get into any trouble. Same goes for Dareus. Edited by YoloinOhio

Teams look at individuals as far as contracts but they also look at positions. The Bills are in decent shape even if they pay CaveMan his 6-7m over the next 2-3 years (I'd have to look up his contract). Sammy as the fourth overall makes pretty good money but not exorbitant. Woods as a second rounder makes very little. Goodwin and Hogan and. Easley make pennies in comparison. We can afford Big Mike easily as far as WR go.

He may well have come down with that ball in the HOF game if the DB did not have a hold of his right arm. He just could not quite get a second hand on it.

I'm looking at his contract details and his salary is only about 4-6 mil per for the remainder of the deal. I'm not sure how the cap numbers figure in but if he puts up anywhere near 1k yards its a great deal and very good trade bait if we did decide we couldn't afford him. Also, he's had some issues but most important is no arrests, and I don't think any drug issues so its not like he's a guy on the brink of a half season or more suspension ala josh gordon.

He may well have come down with that ball in the HOF game if the DB did not have a hold of his right arm. He just could not quite get a second hand on it.

I think in a reg season game that would have been at least close to DPI, especially with the rule enforcements on DBs.

I think in a reg season game that would have been at least close to DPI, especially with the rule enforcements on DBs.

I think he mis-timed his jump.

Doesn't matter if he mistimed it... that would be a catch if the DB wasn't bringing his arm down.

Well, it does matter if you believe--like I do--that if he timed it correctly, and engaged the ball at its apex (like he does 95% of the time), no amount of DB holding his arm would have prevented him from coming down with it.

Well, it does matter if you believe--like I do--that if he timed it correctly, and engaged the ball at its apex (like he does 95% of the time), no amount of DB holding his arm would have prevented him from coming down with it.

Right, he's human, so sometimes he won't play a ball perfectly. If the DB wasn't committing PI, he comes down with the TD. I agree that it likely would have been called PI in most games.