The O-Line Thread

I think there is a real chance given Marrone's comments that they start Henderson at LT and Glenn at LG unless Chris Williams step up a level in the remaining games. What I've seen out of Williams so far is incosistency - but as I've said before I'm no O-Line guru and I'm always interested to hear from those who know more than I - I don't think Williams has flat out sucked though. He has been up and down. I saw him move his guy around on one of the CJ runs, but he was awful in the short yardage situations (as it has to be said was Eric Wood... who I thought was poor on goalline runs last year too... when I look at the teams who regularly pound it in from inside the 5 their centres get more push than Wood does).

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there is a real chance given Marrone's comments that they start Henderson at LT and Glenn at LG unless Chris Williams step up a level in the remaining games...

IMO, there is a 0% chance they move a proven LT in Cordy Glenn for a still unproven Sentreal Henderson.

Henderson looked good, but he was by no means perfect or elite in his play. Glenn last year was pretty close to perfect.

To be clear Wayne - I wouldn't and I might be reading to much into Marrone's comments on Saturday, but when reporters were trying to get him to say he could move Henderson to bring back Glenn he repeated a few times that Seantral can be a starting LT in this league.

Edited by GunnerBill

To be clear Wayne - I wouldn't and I might be reading to much into Marron'e comments on Saturday, but when reporters were trying to get him to say he could move Henderson to bring back Glenn he repeated a few times that Seantral can be a starting LT in this league.

Maybe he wants to use him for trade bait???? You know how we don't like keeping good Left Tackles around, they're just too expensive . . . :cry:

Edited by CSBill

To some of the previous posters who've suggested either because they think so or presume Marrone to do so, that Glenn is moved to LG, I whole-heartedly disagree. I think Glenn has demonstrated that he can play very well to potentially elite at LT, arguably the second and at least the 3rd most significant position on Offense for a Right Handed QB...you simply don't fix what isn't broken, you leave Glenn at LT...now, Henderson played RT in college and God knows this team needs to solidify the right side of the line, and if in fact Henderson is really that good, you put him at RT and ask Pears to be the swing / backup tackle and as others have said, I would love to see CK at RG...his size and limited ability to go slide make him an ideal fit for RG...and Richardson can develop into that LG spot over the course of a year or two, or if he's good enough to move Williams off the line, then you have veteran depth...but for now, I leave Williams in there just so there aren't too many Rooks manning the Offensive Line...but to me, Henderson to RT is a no-brainer and CK to RG too...I would rather see CK struggle a bit with incomparable promise than see Legursky / Urbik take that spot, you know what you're getting, a sub-par RG position with virtually no hope of getting better. At least with CK, you can believe he will only improve as the year goes on and with Wood next to him, that would have to help his development...IMHO of course.

To be clear Wayne - I wouldn't and I might be reading to much into Marrone's comments on Saturday, but when reporters were trying to get him to say he could move Henderson to bring back Glenn he repeated a few times that Seantral can be a starting LT in this league.

I may be incorrect but , my ears / eyes popped up/opened when i heards / read this statement.

I think he said Seantrel can be a starting Tackle in this league . I took it as he has a chance to replace Pears not Glenn.

NOT Glenn . lordy folks . But he has said his best five .

The O line is very interesting to watch develop with Marrone toying at combinations . Lets hope the rookies develop as quickly as possible. Since they will have to stay on the roster to keep . someone would pick up any 3 of those guys

As they say . good problem to have for a change for Bills O line!

Legursky can't play

Still ?

I thought he would have the gotten the hang of it by now.

Urbik stays as b/u guard and center. Thats an easy one

Edited by 3rdand12

Urbik stays as b/u guard and center. Thats an easy one

They need a third center option on the roster. If Legursky is cut then they'll need to keep MacPherson or teach someone else the basics of the position. Center is like QB in that you really need three options on game day, even if one is only for an "emergency". If you don't have a viable center, the game is over.

Interesting notes from WGR 550 on camp day 16 about the line.

"Urbik struggles" & Bills’ Day 16 MVP: G Cyril Richardson http://www.wgr550.com/pages/9034669.php?pid=420959 "Bills’ Day 16 LVP: G Antonie McClain"

If we fans have learned anything about how this team operates in regards to expensive vets vs newer, less expensive players that become starters. Should Pears, Urbik lose their starting jobs I would have to think the Bills will then release them. Legursky will probably keep his job as backup center simply because he is less expensive. Should those two lose their starting positions the smarter thing to do would be to retain the better talent in Urbik as backup center / OG, and release Legursky. We will see.

This preseason game against the Steelers will show which starters can play on that line and who can't as the Steelers D line dominated in last years game at Pittsburgh. In any event the Bills players should get some good experience in going against a team that made them look so bad last season.

I may be incorrect but , my ears / eyes popped up/opened when i heards / read this statement.

I think he said Seantrel can be a starting Tackle in this league . I took it as he has a chance to replace Pears not Glenn.

NOT Glenn .

Nope, he definitely said left tackle. He was asked where else Henderson could play with Glenn back and he said very defiently "Seantral can play left tackle in this league." If you want to watch it on the website it is Marrone's pre-Saturday practice it's about 00:50 seconds in and then he repeats it again at about 1:10 in.

Now I agree with everything everyone has said about you don't move Cordy Glenn and as well as he played last year you keep him in situ with your develping QB, it as judt the defiance with which Marrone spoke.... I kinda got the impression that he is considering Henderson there as a longer term option. It's interesting that Urbik lined up at LG yesterday with Richardson at RG with Williams out. I agree with all your sentiments.... play Seantral at RT and Glenn at LT, Wood is your centre and then the position battles in the final couple of pre-season games are at guard. I might be reading too much into Marrone's comments but it was what he said and the way he said it that made me think "ok hang on.... does he see Henderson & Glenn as a potential duo on the left side of the line."

Nope, he definitely said left tackle. He was asked where else Henderson could play with Glenn back and he said very defiently "Seantral can play left tackle in this league." If you want to watch it on the website it is Marrone's pre-Saturday practice it's about 00:50 seconds in and then he repeats it again at about 1:10 in.

Now I agree with everything everyone has said about you don't move Cordy Glenn and as well as he played last year you keep him in situ with your develping QB, it as judt the defiance with which Marrone spoke.... I kinda got the impression that he is considering Henderson there as a longer term option. It's interesting that Urbik lined up at LG yesterday with Richardson at RG with Williams out. I agree with all your sentiments.... play Seantral at RT and Glenn at LT, Wood is your centre and then the position battles in the final couple of pre-season games are at guard. I might be reading too much into Marrone's comments but it was what he said and the way he said it that made me think "ok hang on.... does he see Henderson & Glenn as a potential duo on the left side of the line."

Thank you for your diligence !

Marrone is driving me crazy , obviously.

This switching combinations from gaurd to tackle and viceversa and from ones to twos, then threes is hard to keep up with.

Either he is a genius or we are in trouble : )

vincec , I cant stand to have Legursky on the team . Just not very good at all. painful at times even

So E Wood K Urbik and ?

Legursky has to go. He isn't good enough for even a backup spot. Urbik should be the backup C, even if he wins a starting Guard spot. I'd much rather see Cyril Richardson (or anybody but Legursky) come in for Urbik if/when he moves to Center.

It's interesting to see that Tim Graham's projection only has the Bills keeping 8 offensive linemen. It seems crazy to me to only have one interior line backup on the roster for three positions. I'd be surprised not to see another interior guy kept even if it's not Legursky.

The most ideal situation is to have Cyril win that job. Push Urbik to backup C-G and cut Legursky. That puts us at 9:

Glenn

Williams

Wood

Cyril

Seantrel

Pears

CuJo

Hairston

Urbik

Problem that is in Legursky's favor is not enough backup Guards. What if Wood goes down and Urbik goes to C?

So if Legursky makes it does Cyril go to practice squad?

Does Hairston get cut?

Edited by Big Blitz

The most ideal situation is to have Cyril win that job. Push Urbik to backup C-G and cut Legursky. That puts us at 9:

Glenn

Williams

Wood

Cyril

Seantrel

Pears

CuJo

Hairston

Urbik

Problem that is in Legursky's favor is not enough backup Guards. What if Wood goes down and Urbik goes to C?

So if Legursky makes it does Cyril go to practice squad?

Does Hairston get cut?

I don't think Hairston gets cut. He's too versatile and probably too good. The problem is if they keep eight, although I tend to doubt it. If they keep nine, i think it's who you said. Urbik is the backup C. There are four guys who can play guard in Williams, Urbik, Richardson and Hairston, and four guys who can play tackle, or at least line up at tackle. If they keep eight, Hairston almost has to stay. But I don't see how 8 is possible less alone wise.

Then I think Macky or Wheeler goes to the PS.

Interesting read from ESPN, http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/12109/bills-camp-report-day-26

• "Second-round pick Cyrus Kouandjio has struggled for much of training camp and by all accounts had a rough afternoon Wednesday in one-on-one pass-rush drills. That changed Thursday when Kouandjio had some quality reps in that same drill. Coming back from his final rep, he got a fist bump and a pat on the back from coach Doug Marrone. It's a sign of progress.

From WGR 550 on day 17, http://www.wgr550.com/pages/9034669.php?pid=421251

"Manuel was sacked three times throughout the day but the collapsing pocket didn’t seem to rattle him at all. In fact, the Bills quarterback dropped all the way back and looked for whichever target had already won, or was in the process of winning, and delivered his passes with confidence."

Gonna be interesting to see how the first string line plays this Saturday. Henderson, Urbik, Wood, Richardson, Pears.

•  

Yes he did. You are correct, sir.

To me, the thing that Maronne is weighing in his mind is which one Cordy or Henderson has the largest upside, and if it's Henderson, is he good enough to put in at LT right away. If he thinks Cordy does not have as great an upside, then it's a tough choice, but I think he'd make that move.