A few takes from the game/preseason so far

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

-The OL struggles in short yardage because they can't get low. Not just the several 6'8" guys either, even Wood and Urbik. On the 4th down play at the goal line Wood had been stood up the play before so he overcompensated and flopped on the ground and his man went over him and got to Jackson's feet. I know people think Wood is great here but that inability to hit that low point and still be in control in short yardage is what keeps him from being in that pro bowl class. Urbik is stout but he's not athletic enough to turn his defender and seal and he definitely can't get low. Not sure who had the idea to put him at TE but you'd be better off with a TE out wide on a DE IMO. Not sure we are going to see improvement in these short yardage situations this year. There is a lot of talent on the OL but they are better equipped to pass block.

EJ said something to the affect of ... "I'd like to go play action at the goal line but that's what Nate called". Maybe they are saving it for the regular season, but it looked eerily familiar to last seasons goal line issues.

Edited by Juice_32

Last year I wasn't as down on Hackett as some. I thought they really needed to establish a physical inside game to take pressure off of EJ and his non-existent receiving corps. This year I expect less give-away downs. Whether Hackett/Manuel oblige remains to be seen but there is no reason yet to expect that there will be less of them. One thing I think is certain, if they intended to run up the middle a lot they should have gotten an OG who can impact the run game.

I'm confused about the offensive intentions. 1. They give up a first-rounder next year to get a top WR. That's fine, i guess (at least until next year.) But then, 2. they go and get Bryce Brown when they already have two premier RBs. So now they have so many good receivers, EJ should be throwing all day, but they have 3 top RBs who need to get the ball too. What the hell? You only have so many offensive downs. Who gets the ball? What's the philosophy?

And then you run the ball up the middle 3 times a row!!! Jesus H. Christ! I know it's pre-season, but so what? Call some plays for your stars!

Like I say, I'm confused. Help me out.

I think poor decision making has been his calling card to date. That's how you go from being the top HS RB in the country to a non-existent college career and nearly undrafted despite first round ability and good health. He then showed two poor on-field decisions last night. He was knocked in Philly for running to the sidelines and not finding the cutback opportunities and that may be a football IQ thing as well.

I am concerned about his ball handling because he had a problem two years ago and still carries the ball FAR away from his body. He lost the football at the end of one of his runs last night. With his past history and the urgency he should have to prove himself(and get paid) he should be carrying the ball high and tight like Tiki.

This is the same complaint on CJ. So we have some dumb RB's. I dont agree but as long as they keep moving the chains,,,, I dont care.

I didnt like when he ran out of bounds ob the 3rd down run. Mental mistake and completely correctable. I like Brown a lot, and thought he looked good when he got a few games with Philly.

We had near tops in the league last year in our back field,,,, They improved it this year!

Anyone else notice that Alan Branch appears to be totally washed up? Wtf happened to him? I'm wondering if he gets cut and Cohen makes it in his place.

Yes. Looks out of shape. Like he took signing bonus and pulled the chute. He and urbik should worry about their spots. Urbik may make it by default, but if we see Bryant/Charles/Cohen getting snaps with the ones next week it may be a sign that branch is in serious trouble.

Does he bring anything to the table in terms of special teams? Fumbling is a no-no, but that's been touched on. Can he keep his QB from getting killed? Unless he fits the part of an NFL RB, he could be a rocket surgeon in his spare time and will get cut. :)

He fits the part about as well as CJ does. The Bills clearly wanted to add another RB in addition to Dixon, no chance he gets cut. Being active on game day is another question

Last year I wasn't as down on Hackett as some. I thought they really needed to establish a physical inside game to take pressure off of EJ and his non-existent receiving corps. This year I expect less give-away downs. Whether Hackett/Manuel oblige remains to be seen but there is no reason yet to expect that there will be less of them. One thing I think is certain, if they intended to run up the middle a lot they should have gotten an OG who can impact the run game.

Totally agree on LG. Cost us two games last year (Cincinnati and KC). Also FJ is not a good short yardage back. He just isn't . Starting to remind me of a slower McGahee based on new body type and patience, but just isn't a good short yardage back. Personally I think he runs a little high for that task, but just me. Also, perhaps it would help to be under center on those down and distances now and again, especially at the goal line.

I'm confused about the offensive intentions. 1. They give up a first-rounder next year to get a top WR. That's fine, i guess (at least until next year.) But then, 2. they go and get Bryce Brown when they already have two premier RBs. So now they have so many good receivers, EJ should be throwing all day, but they have 3 top RBs who need to get the ball too. What the hell? You only have so many offensive downs. Who gets the ball? What's the philosophy?

And then you run the ball up the middle 3 times a row!!! Jesus H. Christ! I know it's pre-season, but so what? Call some plays for your stars!

I highly doubt all 4-5 backs will be active on game days. Brown will most likely be an insurance policy this year but make no mistake the Bills are a running team first.

on one of Andersons runs for a 1st, I think it was his second, and came on a third and mid to long. Hughes set the edge just fine. The LT got way outside the numbers and had a pretty blatant hold. Hughes makes that play without the hold easy. he was right there.

on one of Andersons runs for a 1st, I think it was his second, and came on a third and mid to long. Hughes set the edge just fine. The LT got way outside the numbers and had a pretty blatant hold. Hughes makes that play without the hold easy. he was right there.

It was the first run; I remember exactly what you're referring to on that play.

It was blatant.

Fred also did a terrible job at getting low by the way. He hit the hole pretty hi. They were begging for a read option on both 3rd and 4th down. Also putting one WR would have atleast given a little hesitance that we might throw. DIdn't think there was a need for 2 jumbo packages in a row

EDIT: referring to going for it on the goal line

Edited by Mango

Good insights. Your concerns make me nervous! (because I know Schwartz won't be up to Pettine's scheming)

I also have big doubts about the OC and his ability to make use of our offensive talent like CJ and Watkins.

I liked Pettine, but let's not make him out to be something he's not. His defense ranked near the bottom in many key statistical catagories. He fell in love with the sack, but we never did anything to improve on the run defense. He had an MLB play out of position and we suffered for it. I think Pettine was hoping the big sack numbers would help him land a HC job - which it did , but I think Schwartz as DC will focus on the run defense as well as attacking the QB - I think our defense will be much better this year.

Best point in the OP was the recognition of "comfort throws" for EJ.

That's something that Hackett didn't do at all last year, and it really hurt the offense IMO.

Hopefully we'll see more of that.

I think they know him better now. They tried to get him started with some short throws last year and those aren't throws he does well yet. His screen passes to Spiller are painful to watch. Between EJ's inability to put the ball on the money and CJ's general battling of the passed football it's a thing of ugly.

I think the simple answer is you want as much talent on the team as you can get. You will always hear about how important depth is, now we have a team that has that critical aspect to the team. Wait until late in the season and look at how we use the players. Injuries happen, matchups make for different lineups.... lots of things change over the course of a season. As for the philosophy, I think it's still run first, pass second. We have a offensive line that still isn't settled yet and Manuel is still in the learning stage. We will run the ball more than last year, but if the line improves and EJ does as well, we become a very difficult offense to face because of the WR talent we have. This isn't anything to worry about, it's a very good thing.

I highly doubt all 4-5 backs will be active on game days. Brown will most likely be an insurance policy this year but make no mistake the Bills are a running team first.

Completely agree, and the loading up at WR is to make us dangerous when they load the box and fall for play action. Sammy is the kind of guy who can score in a hurry. We have to make them pay when we take our shots. No one is confusing EJ with Peyton, so the box WILL be loaded. It's no secret that we're a running team.

I liked Pettine, but let's not make him out to be something he's not. His defense ranked near the bottom in many key statistical catagories. He fell in love with the sack, but we never did anything to improve on the run defense. He had an MLB play out of position and we suffered for it. I think Pettine was hoping the big sack numbers would help him land a HC job - which it did , but I think Schwartz as DC will focus on the run defense as well as attacking the QB - I think our defense will be much better this year.

Pettine's D is designed to disrupt the passing game in a pass happy league.

Last year(and so some extent the season before) there was a market correction and some teams started having success running the ball again.

Enter the new contact rules in the passing game.

If the preseason officiating is any indicator, teams with pure passers at QB and pass disrupting offenses are going to get another boost.

Not a Schwartz fan. I think he is not only NOT a genius but a stubborn hardhead about his wide nine 4-3. Good DC's are adaptive. I think he is not. We will soon know.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

Anyone else notice that Alan Branch appears to be totally washed up? Wtf happened to him? I'm wondering if he gets cut and Cohen makes it in his place.

I would love Cohen on this team. I never got the branch love.

It is preseason.

I think they know him better now. They tried to get him started with some short throws last year and those aren't throws he does well yet. His screen passes to Spiller are painful to watch. Between EJ's inability to put the ball on the money and CJ's general battling of the passed football it's a thing of ugly.

Not sue which game you watched last night.

IMO its the best Bills team in preseason I can remember. They just look ready, I have had no issues with EJ at all, I actually think he has played well.

I agree with this.

I think it's simply because they are more talented than they have been in a long time.

That said, they could have been even better if they had kept all the talent they could have.

IMO the easiest way out of the losing box they are trapped in is to bludgeon their way out with sheer talent.

What they have here now is not top of the league talent, it's playoff competitive talent.

People around here like to compare any Bills team to the Kelly era teams and while I think in many cases the point is not relevant because of the many changes in the league.........those Bills got out of their rut by marching out league-best type talent.

They bludgeoned their way out of anonymity.

What people need to remember is that getting back to respectability is just the first step. My biggest concern is that the team will lose confidence in Marrone before they establish any success.

To me the biggest takeaway from last season was that the team basically quit after the heartbreaking Chiefs loss.

After that point, they showed up some weeks and not others and the effort and concentration was even intermittent during games.

Had they battled thru they STILL would have had a very good chance at the playoffs IMO, but they went out and let early momentum get away in Pitt and TB and choked against Atlanta.

Early in the season, they weren't doing that.

They came out focused and played hard every week, IMO.

IMO it's going to be a challenge for Marrone keeping these guys engaged week-in and week-out after he failed to provide them with different results.

Everyone is up beat in preseason but what happens when adversity hits in the regular season?

Completely agree, and the loading up at WR is to make us dangerous when they load the box and fall for play action. Sammy is the kind of guy who can score in a hurry. We have to make them pay when we take our shots. No one is confusing EJ with Peyton, so the box WILL be loaded. It's no secret that we're a running team.

This is why they were practicing the red zone run into the guts.

Marrone really wants to control the line of scrimmage on short yardage . Like seriously .

I expect at some point when the O line is settled they will be doing just that there is enough talent there .

It was a hell of a game for those of us who where worried about many things > play calling from the offense and defense were pretty solid . and the execution was much improved.

Really enjoyed watching the game last night , How often have i said that ?

I agree with this.

I think it's simply because they are more talented than they have been in a long time.

That said, they could have been even better if they had kept all the talent they could have.

IMO the easiest way out of the losing box they are trapped in is to bludgeon their way out with sheer talent.

What they have here now is not top of the league talent, it's playoff competitive talent.

People around here like to compare any Bills team to the Kelly era teams and while I think in many cases the point is not relevant because of the many changes in the league.........those Bills got out of their rut by marching out league-best type talent.

They bludgeoned their way out of anonymity.

What people need to remember is that getting back to respectability is just the first step. My biggest concern is that the team will lose confidence in Marrone before they establish any success.

To me the biggest takeaway from last season was that the team basically quit after the heartbreaking Chiefs loss.

After that point, they showed up some weeks and not others and the effort and concentration was even intermittent during games.

Had they battled thru they STILL would have had a very good chance at the playoffs IMO, but they went out and let early momentum get away in Pitt and TB and choked against Atlanta.

Early in the season, they weren't doing that.

They came out focused and played hard every week, IMO.

IMO it's going to be a challenge for Marrone keeping these guys engaged week-in and week-out after he failed to provide them with different results.

Everyone is up beat in preseason but what happens when adversity hits in the regular season?

Coach Marrone has spoken to this last year and this.

Whaley has given him the players this year.

This year is going to be about coaching. all of them .

I think last night will go along way to form the attitude correction needed team wide.

Successful on game day goes a long way for this team. Coach Marrone is right . Bills need to win in the preseason with whoever is on the field .

Go Bills.

Thanks for the excellent contribution BOB !