New sale of team thread

It was a 25 year deal I believe. It is actually the 1st naming rights deal (at least in the major US sports). The Bills do have the option to sell naming rights as far as I know. I'm about 95% sure on that but have elected not to. The new stadium will certainly have naming rights attached.

Correct. As a matter of fact RW did not like the fact that the county sold the naming in 1973. He was against it then and I believe that is why he choose not to sell the rights since 1998.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct. As a matter of fact RW did not like the fact that the county sold the naming in 1973. He was against it then and I believe that is why he choose not to sell the rights since 1998.

"The Ralph" sounds better than Rich Stadium any ways.

At the time, no it definitely did not. But after 15 years of mostly ralphing on themselves it definitely seems more appropriate than it did on the heels of 4 AFC Championships.

I kind of meant it as a tribute to Ralph Wilson. But your point is well taken.

Will they be renaming it to "Ralph Wilson Memorial Stadium?" Atleast while we're still there? I know that's a small thing to think about at a time like this, just curious.

That sounds about right to me :thumbsup: Edited by 3rdand12

A strategic bottoming out to rebuild. Big difference. Most pundits consider the Sabres loaded with grade A prospects. Wait two years.

This. Even Brian Burke said the Sabres are in a great position. The Sabres are building a strong foundation and will be very good for a long time. Most owners would not have the financial patience for this. We are lucky we have owners who think strategically and are patient. Nearly all Sabres fans are on board.

They just won't go away..

http://www.torontosu...two-bills-drive

"It was not known by late Wednesday afternoon whether the trust running the sale and its transaction team deemed the bid satisfactory, in order to advance the group to the sale's final phase."

Also suggests late August is when binding bids will be submitted. Valuable info from Kryk as always.

In fact if you read the whole story is sounds like there's even less to worry about than we thought.

Edited by billsfaninmanhattan

I, along with many others, was just hoping for them to say "uncle".

I know the idea is not originally mine and has been stated before, but I think it is totally possible the Toronto group is playing the long game here. They know they aren't winning here, but they are doing a favor to the nfl and the trust by staying in the race, hoping to get in the good graces of the owners for future consideration.

I know the idea is not originally mine and has been stated before, but I think it is totally possible the Toronto group is playing the long game here. They know they aren't winning here, but they are doing a favor to the nfl and the trust by staying in the race, hoping to get in the good graces of the owners for future consideration.

I subscribe to that idea. I also subscribe to the idea that Bon Jovi is a sore loser to go along with a 3rd rate musician and a treacherous slimeball.

Theory: Trust and Morgan Stanley realize there are very serious legal issues if the Trust were to select Toronto group as winning bidder because of lease (and perhaps language of Trust) that could trigger litigation. Every person who has a brain knows Toronto group wants the team in Toronto. As a result, as John Kryk reported, the Trust/Morgan Stanley rejected their bid for both legal issues (non-relocation assurance) and financial reasons (low bid).

The fact that the Trust/Morgan Stanley asked for better non-relocation assurance would be evidence that the Trust is aware of their intent. This could be used against the Trust and Trustees in any action that the state/county might bring if the Trust were to select the Toronto group to show that they were aware. I have a hard time believing that the Toronto group, at this point, could ever satisfactorily demonstrate that they do not intend on moving the team in a manner that would not risk exposure to litigation to the Trust and Trustees. They cannot put the toothpaste back in the tube. There is a reason why everyone refers to them as the Toronto group.

Again, the Trust should do the right thing and sell to the Pegulas. The reported bid is more than anyone has ever paid for an NFL team, they would be heroes, and there would be no risk of the state or county suing them.

Just my two cents.

The end is inevitable and I understand the game must be played. But if the reports are true, and no reason to dismiss them, and they truely low balled the bid they are just embarrassing themselves. Just let it go.

I subscribe to that idea. I also subscribe to the idea that Bon Jovi is a sore loser to go along with a 3rd rate musician and a treacherous slimeball.

yeah!! F#%* Bon Jovi and the steel horse he rode in on.

...And you name "the field Ralph Wilson field" to make everyone happy. So it would be "we're at the Geicho Dome for the big game on Ralph Wilson Field..."

i call BS.

I mean, we would be playing in a "big game"? That seems almost Jetsons-like.

Jon Bon Jovi's time is better spent being with his friend in Dallas in his time of need rather than wasting any more of his time trying to be a carpetbagger.

Edited by Peter