New sale of team thread

I have been following this extremely close on a daily basis and I have yet to see anything from what I would consider to be a pretty reputable source that has shown to be off. There have been a lot of reporters, including several from the (allegedly horrible by some here) BuffNews, that have been all over this story. Things that appeared to have been leaks have all been possibly if not likely true, and there has been little to nothing that has refuted it. As of right now, I would tend to believe those leaks to be pretty accurate.

So if the reported numbers aren't publicly refuted then they are true? My bar is set a lot higher than that. I think we're now in the territory where just the "grown-ups" are playing, and they're subject to the NDAs. The grown ups (OK, maybe not necessarily Trump) don't feel the need to correct the record if the reported numbers aren't true. For example, if JBJ actually bid $1.4B, he wouldn't leak that his actual bid was higher than what was reported. He wouldn't need to since the court of public opinion just doesn't matter - it's only about the number that Morgan Stanley is looking at.

What am I missing? As I read it, the story that you link to never states that Pegula's bid is the highest. Edited by BillnutinHouston

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes as long as those rules don't run them afoul of the golden egg which is their anti trust exemption

True. But it's easy to argue TV markets, what constitutes football market, why Toronto is different, etc, without rocking that applecart.

So if the reported numbers aren't publicly refuted then they are true? My bar is set a lot higher than that.

No, for that reason and about five others mentioned above, all combined, I strongly believe it to be quite close if not true and I would bet on it.

He wouldn't need to since the court of public opinion just doesn't matter - it's only about the number that Morgan Stanley is looking at.

I guess that this is where we disagree Billsnut (and I usually agree with you). The winning bid isn't decided by Morgan Stanley it is decided by that 4 person group. If I were Pegula I would show up at Training Camp, at the HOF game, etc... It would apply a certain level of pressure to the trust (not that they don't want Pegula).

Personally, I think that it's a foregone conclusion but the public adulation can't have anything but a positive impact on his candidacy. "Why wouldn't we pick this guy? What is Terry Pegula missing that we are looking for?" He checks all of the boxes.

No, I am saying that there have been a lot of insider reports about the process that fit in with exactly what has been going on. The decent ones IMO have yet to refute one another, which is usually what happens. I also have some insider connections who concur, and others here do, too, which has closely followed what they have been told by people close to it.

Surely we cannot know for sure, but one can have a very, very good guess when you combine 1] solid reporting, 2] insider information, 3] trustworthy (relative, I know) third-party infor, 4] a serious amount of knowledge of this topic's history, 5] give it serious thought, and 6] add good solid common sense. When all of those things add up to a very logical scenario, it's a damn good bet.

I would bet you anything you want that Terry Pegula is the next owner of the Bills. It's not just a hunch.

Well I suppose it depends upon how much you trust alleged inside information about a closed bid process with a NDA in place where the winning bid is expected to be over one billion dollars. Me, I think it is about as likely to be accurate as Kate Upton is likely to give me a booty call tonight ;) And there can be no accurate "reporting" without accurate (inside in this case) information.

And no matter how much you Billieve, unless you are someone on the inside, it most certainly is a hunch (one I happen to agree with) at this point.

Well I suppose it depends upon how much you trust alleged inside information about a closed bid process with a NDA in place where the winning bid is expected to be over one billion dollars. Me, I think it is about as likely to be accurate as Kate Upton is likely to give me a booty call tonight ;) And there can be no accurate "reporting" without accurate (inside in this case) information.

And no matter how much you Billieve, unless you are someone on the inside, it most certainly is a hunch (one I happen to agree with) at this point.

If information classified by the US Government can be leaked and reported on, so can a team sale. I trust the reporting.

Competing markets in the NHL. It's an NFL rule. But I think Kelly's answer provides better depth.

NFL rules do not permit owners of another major pro sports franchise to own a NFL team unless those two teams are in the same market

They make a exception because of the Leafs. :lol:

The answer is easy. They make their own rules, change and apply them as they like, depending on what makes them the most money.

As HR Directors say, "case by case situation."

If information classified by the US Government can be leaked and reported on, so can a team sale. I trust the reporting.

Then again, what group has it's head up its ass further and for a longer time, the US government or the Bills Trustees ;)

Is there a way to jump to the end on your phone? That's why I love new threads and hate old ones.

Big pet peeve of mine, glad you brought it up. I usually flip the site to full version,scroll to last page,then flip back to mobile version. I'll try the app.

Go Bills! All hail El Pegula!

I have a very different definition of hunch then.

Put it this way: I have a good friend, one of a few different ones who know something about this issue and are very, very well connected to the team. One of them sent me a text a couple weeks ago saying "that the Toronto group is very serious, and they are going to come in with a very strong bid. I'm hearing it's going to be 1.2b and Pegula is going to have to match." When two weeks later, different sources are throwing out those exact numbers as the bids, I tend to believe this may be accurate. But that is just me.

There were reports that other candidates - besides the ones we all knew about - were quietly putting together bids. Apparently this turned out to be way wrong.

Incidentally, on June 19 I predicted Pegula at $1.27B. Got my fingers crossed that I'll win the Final Sale Price Contest. Far more importantly, though, I'm hoping Pegula wins his contest!

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/168509-bills-final-sale-price-contest/page__hl__bids

There were reports that other candidates - besides the ones we all knew about - were quietly putting together bids. Apparently this turned out to be way wrong.

To me, that doesn't at all say it turned out to be wrong, I would bet anything that several entities were quietly putting together bids. Then they could have heard through the trust, or bank, or Bills, or other sources, that the first bids were going to be in the 1.2 and 1.3b range and then other candidates became quietly closing their bids.

Or, lately, through various channels, they came to find out that there was no way in hell that they could move the team once they got deeper into the process.

To me, that doesn't at all say it turned out to be wrong, I would bet anything that several entities were quietly putting together bids. Then they could have heard through the trust, or bank, or Bills, or other sources, that the first bids were going to be in the 1.2 and 1.3b range and then other candidates became quietly closing their bids.

Or, lately, through various channels, they came to find out that there was no way in hell that they could move the team once they got deeper into the process.

Quite possibly true. Maybe wrongly so - but I was surprised to read there were only 3 bids submitted.

I guess that this is where we disagree Billsnut (and I usually agree with you). The winning bid isn't decided by Morgan Stanley it is decided by that 4 person group. If I were Pegula I would show up at Training Camp, at the HOF game, etc... It would apply a certain level of pressure to the trust (not that they don't want Pegula).

Personally, I think that it's a foregone conclusion but the public adulation can't have anything but a positive impact on his candidacy. "Why wouldn't we pick this guy? What is Terry Pegula missing that we are looking for?" He checks all of the boxes.

Not sure where we disagree. My point was that bidders do not gain anything by publicly positioning themselves as being the highest bidder. In fact the process (through the NDAs) discourages that.

I do agree with you (to a point) that if Pegula were to show up at the HoF game or training camp, it would give the fans some jollies and maybe put some type of weird pressure on the trust from a PR standpoint, however I think we can conclude from his actions to date that Pegula has NO interest in putting the trust in this position, has no interest in cheap publicity stunts and has calculated that taking the high road is the surest route to success. I happen to think his approach is the correct one. But I also don't see where JBJ would gain by publicly posturing, either.

Not sure where we disagree. My point was that bidders do not gain anything by publicly positioning themselves as being the highest bidder. In fact the process (through the NDAs) discourages that.

I do agree with you (to a point) that if Pegula were to show up at the HoF game or training camp, it would give the fans some jollies and maybe put some type of weird pressure on the trust from a PR standpoint, however I think we can conclude from his actions to date that Pegula has NO interest in putting the trust in this position, has no interest in cheap publicity stunts and has calculated that taking the high road is the surest route to success. I happen to think his approach is the correct one. But I also don't see where JBJ would gain by publicly posturing, either.

I apologize, I misunderstood. Pegula to me is the only one that has anything to gain by playing the media game but that's not really his thing. To me he did his posturing by his really aggressive early bid.