What`s up with Marrone?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly don't know what to make of Doug Marrone. I want to like him, but I find him hard to listen to, I don't think he has proven a thing as a coach yet. I like some of the reasoning for his demeanor here, I just wish I could buy them. He has always struck me (or at least since coming to Buffalo) as fairly negative and thin-skinned. I don't mind at all the notion that he just wants his team to be serious about winning, pre-season or not, but then, he doesn't really do anything to help insure that his team wins. It may be nothing (and really it is), but if he was so serious about winning the HOF game, why end the game, down by four points, with time-outs to burn. And why play a game of "playing not to get hurt" with your QB, who could use some work? All this might be cool, if from time to time, I haven't found myself wondering what the !@#$ Marrone is thinking along the sidelines, during real, regular season games. Seems he could use all the practice he can get, knowing how to manage timeouts, paly inside two minutes, etc etc. If you want your young team to keep their eye on the prize, play to win at all coats, and all the other clichés, you should probably coach the same way. I am not suggesting something like putting first stringers in in the fourth quarter, but use these preseason games to work out all the kinks with your team, and your coaching staff, rather than treating them like, you know, meaningless exhibitions. The Bills aren't good enough to waste opportunities like these. This isn't the Seahawks or the Broncos....and to whoever suggested that Marrone doesn't want his team to have built in excuses for losing, that sounds great, but I think Marrone does it all the time...I am fully behind EJ Manuel, but Marrone makes excuses for him at every turn.

Edited by Buftex

From what I've seen, and read about Marrone recently is that he is clearly frustrated with the line, and offense. He expects them to be better then how they are currently performing, and so do we all.

Henderson is playing so well at LT that I have to wonder if Glenn returns does Marrone keep playing both? Plus, the #2 & #5 picks are playing rather poorly recently, and their status remains unclear.

Its going to interesting to see how Marrone handles things going forward this year because he realizes that should the team fail to win many games. Then his status as HC is in certain jeopardy. I gotta wonder if he is still happy with his choices for his NFL inexperienced assistant coaches.

I'm so glad this thread is here. I am honestly at a loss with Marrone.

It strikes me a number of things are in play here and we won't know the truth, ever. There's so much you can read from his behaviour. One moment, I agree with all the various theories y'all have posted. Then I'm wondering if this is a sign of a coach who's unhappy in his position as coach and is looking to antagonize the media to in some way precipitate his departure.

Media relations in the modern NFL is as tough as it has ever been - so I have to credit anyone involved. People in government don't experience the kind of adversarial, negative and hatchet journalism that can appear from time to time in sports. (But not all the time - our Bills beat journalists I think on the whole are very fair and balanced.)

But on the other hand - what the heck did the journalists get out of that press conference? It's a mockery. You might as well not have the presser. Total waste of time. I just don't see how they are being sensibly equipped to do their jobs - and they have a role to play in the perceived success of the franchise.

There has to be a halfway house.

Nick...I am with you, although, I don't think he is unhappy with his job... just kind of worry-wart in general. He really does remind me a bit of Tom Couglin, before he started winning Super Bowls. There was an interesting article about Marrone at the beginning of training camp, where he basically says that he "always" mad (maybe it was another word, other than "mad", but something to that effect, can't find the article now),,,he said it is just part of who he is. We all know there have been plenty of good coaches in NFL history with this persona (Pacrcells, Belechik, Couglin come most recently to mind), as well as other sports, so I am trying not to make that to mean that he can't be successful. I just wonder if all players react as well to that kind of demeanor, all the time. You might say, "well screw the players", they are getting paid to play a child' game, yadda yadda yadda... but the truth is, in modern sports, players have nearly as much power as the head coach behind the scenes. I have no reason to suspect that Marrone has "lost his team" or anything like that, and accept that notion that it is just his style... but I do feel like there is some unspoken frustration going on, in this case. I remember, as a rookie NFL HC, I thought Marrone was extra chatty with the media...but it appears those days are over. I have also sensed the same thing, on occasion, with EJ Manuel. I think these guys are not deaf to criticism, and some kind of fall into these sort of defensive postures...winning is the cure all!

Buftex - I'm leery of reading anything from his presser performances as it relates to his relationship with the team. This isn't about that - it's about his relationship with the media and the tactics he is clearly intentionally employing with them. It's really the contrast from last year to this year that has me most puzzled.

It's almost like one of the media slept with his wife or something.

Buftex - I'm leery of reading anything from his presser performances as it relates to his relationship with the team. This isn't about that - it's about his relationship with the media and the tactics he is clearly intentionally employing with them. It's really the contrast from last year to this year that has me most puzzled.

Good point...though his miserableness seems deep seated to me.. he always looks pissed. Found this article from his days at SU: http://orangefizz.net/2012/08/doug-marrones-media-day-crankiness-grabs-syracuse-fans-attention/

Being nice and forthcoming with the media gets him what exactly? They'll take what he says and make the story they want out of it anyway.

Q: "Why did Woods play into the 3rd Quarter"

A: "Because he was supposed to"

Read as - We have a plan and it doesn't matter that you know the plan, only that WE know the plan, and I don't feel like taking the time to explain it to you so you can twist it around, read too much into it, or run to Bob Woods and bait him for another response

Coach Marrone is a strange cat. Someone said he is being compared to Bill Bellyache. When I watched the post game PC that's what came to mind for me. Not a bad thing necessarily.

Then the whole bit about being mad we didn't win. I always thought pre season is about evaluating players. All he would say about that was they had a lot of work to do.

may be it's just the reverse psychology coach thing. Whatever it is, I sure hope it works.

He's made a lot of odd decisions so far. I'm not sold. Wins/playoffs will sell me big time though.

Go BILLS !!!

Nick...I am with you, although, I don't think he is unhappy with his job... just kind of worry-wart in general. He really does remind me a bit of Tom Couglin, before he started winning Super Bowls. There was an interesting article about Marrone at the beginning of training camp, where he basically says that he "always" mad (maybe it was another word, other than "mad", but something to that effect, can't find the article now),,,he said it is just part of who he is. We all know there have been plenty of good coaches in NFL history with this persona (Pacrcells, Belechik, Couglin come most recently to mind), as well as other sports, so I am trying not to make that to mean that he can't be successful. I just wonder if all players react as well to that kind of demeanor, all the time. You might say, "well screw the players", they are getting paid to play a child' game, yadda yadda yadda... but the truth is, in modern sports, players have nearly as much power as the head coach behind the scenes. I have no reason to suspect that Marrone has "lost his team" or anything like that, and accept that notion that it is just his style... but I do feel like there is some unspoken frustration going on, in this case. I remember, as a rookie NFL HC, I thought Marrone was extra chatty with the media...but it appears those days are over. I have also sensed the same thing, on occasion, with EJ Manuel. I think these guys are not deaf to criticism, and some kind of fall into these sort of defensive postures...winning is the cure all!

I think the differentiator here is that Marrone is actually really good with his players on a personal level. At least, this is what I pick up with the Dareus situation. He protects his player's personal lives, and seems to really care about who they are as people and getting better as people in the community.

I think that goes a long way toward building player relationships and building a family. Even if he's a pissy football coach, when he's doing that, his people know he has his people's best interests are at heart.

I personally think that his relationship with the media is a reflection of how his team is doing. They underperformed in the HOF game, he's pissed, and totally focused on that.

I think he is responding to the criticism he received last year about his "wordy" responses and willingness to give the media as much as he dared. Look at how he looks to that other guy when they ask him about injuries now, he's been coached. He's going completely opposite now and the fact that Hackett acts a bit free spirited and goofy at times must eat at him with how the offense performed. I think he bites his tongue with his assistants too much (Hackett) and it bothers him a lot. I know that when I have a talented employee that has pissed me off I'll do this rather than blow up on occasion. He has to light a fire under Hackett and EJ. EJ needs to be as ticked off as Marrone is and he won't be any good until he is in my opinion.

Edited by SJDK

Good point...though his miserableness seems deep seated to me.. he always looks pissed. Found this article from his days at SU: http://orangefizz.ne...fans-attention/

Look at that photo of Marrone in the article from just two years ago....

That's what the grind of being an NFL coach will do to you. I'd be cranky too, especially given the circumstances with his offense. He is an offensive coach, after all.

Look at that photo of Marrone in the article from just two years ago....

That's what the grind of being an NFL coach will do to you. I'd be cranky too, especially given the circumstances with his offense. He is an offensive coach, after all.

Yeah, I noticed a big change in his appearance last season, just between week 1 and week 17.

Being nice and forthcoming with the media gets him what exactly? They'll take what he says and make the story they want out of it anyway.

Q: "Why did Woods play into the 3rd Quarter"

A: "Because he was supposed to"

Read as - We have a plan and it doesn't matter that you know the plan, only that WE know the plan, and I don't feel like taking the time to explain it to you so you can twist it around, read too much into it, or run to Bob Woods and bait him for another response

this

He was always short in post-game press conferences last season. Normally in his mid-week presser though he was open and honest and pretty frank with the media and wanted to have a rapport with them. Maybe he is in uber serious training camp mode, maybe he has decided that he is not going to play their game from now, maybe he just still felt really p****d over Monday's game. Who knows? Does make it a bit awkward viewing at times though.