I hate Jeff Tuel; Not really hate, but you know what I mean

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This board never ceases to amaze me. The fact of the matter is we have no idea how good or bad either Tuel or EJ will end up being for another year or 2 at the very least. Just about every rookie struggles but so many of you expect our guy to be the exception to the rule and when he’s not want to run him out of town. Even some of the all time greats like Bradshaw, Staubach & Elway sucked it up their 1st year in the league. I’m sure if I took the time I could find more examples. EJ & Tuel are both young and pretty raw. We need to give them some time and have some patience. Maybe they develop, maybe they don’t. Finalizing a decision on either of them now is pointless.

Tuel has already amply demonstrated he is not the answer, any more than EJ is.

Sadly, what Tuel has, EJ lacks. What EJ has, Tuel lacks. We need the best skills of each to merge into one player. That won't happen anytime soon.

The next Jim Kelly for our team is not currently on the roster. Get used to that.

The teams next hall of fame QB isn't on the roster? Now that is true for all but what 3-5 teams?

You don't need a HOFer to win the Super Bowl. Russell doesn't look like he's canton bound just yet.... Eli, I haven't seen that case yet... Flacco? Not bloody likely...

Whether people like it or not, EJ is physically one of the most talented QBs buf has ever had.

Big time arm, can make every throw... Very Athletic.... Big time nfl size.

Everything else missing is coach-able. It might never materialize but it's just going to take some time. It's foolish to give up on trying to cultivate this high potential of a candidate after a ten game rookie campaign. GET USED TO THAT!

One good year, 2 mediocre, 2 awful.

He has his flaws for sure, but he also threw 49 tds and nearly hit 5,000 yards in his "mediocre" years. He just turned 26 too. He is a borderline top 10 qb and overcame injuries concerns early in his career.

This board never ceases to amaze me. The fact of the matter is we have no idea how good or bad either Tuel or EJ will end up being for another year or 2 at the very least. Just about every rookie struggles but so many of you expect our guy to be the exception to the rule and when he’s not want to run him out of town. Even some of the all time greats like Bradshaw, Staubach & Elway sucked it up their 1st year in the league. I’m sure if I took the time I could find more examples. EJ & Tuel are both young and pretty raw. We need to give them some time and have some patience. Maybe they develop, maybe they don’t. Finalizing a decision on either of them now is pointless.

You take your patience and get the hell out of here! We're ranting and running guys out of town!

...this...well said

Matt stafford. Missed 6 games and had worst numbers across the board than EJ. http://m.pfref.com/m?p=XXplayersXXSXXStafMa00.htm&t=0

Furthermore, he basically missed all of his 2nd year. Since then, he hasn't missed a game. I'm good, huh? :)

Your facts have no place on this discussion. This board has participants with far greater insight into what it takes to succeed at the nfl level and how to extrapolate rookie campaigns into career projections.

Forget that The NFL collectively spends 10s if not 100s of millions and years on this evaluation process.

Not only are you spot on... Manual actually had one of the top all time rookie QB campaigns.

I think his rookie passer rating is like top 15 ever.

Your facts have no place on this discussion. This board has participants with far greater insight into what it takes to succeed at the nfl level and how to extrapolate rookie campaigns into career projections.

Forget that The NFL collectively spends 10s if not 100s of millions and years on this evaluation process.

Not only are you spot on... Manual actually had one of the top all time rookie QB campaigns.

I think his rookie passer rating is like top 15 ever.

You act like the patient posters aren't the same guys who said Gabbert sucks, Skelton sucks, etc. etc. If EJ was on a different team, the consensus would change drastically.

I can't answer your question, but in Tuel's defense, those WSU teams were historically bad Pac-12 teams. I'm a West Coaster and caught a lot of those games and WSU had very little talent and even worse coaching (under Wulff). Tuel was constantly battered by the opposition. I always thought he looked pretty good and he put a little fear in me as a UCLA fan.

As a fellow west coaster I saw a lot of his games at Wazoo too and thought he stunk and was injury riddled. He got beat out by Marshall Loebbestael of all people. I wonder where he is now?

I hope he works out. But come on Bills. He's our second stringer behind an injury riddled EJ (who I do like)? That's a lot of eggs to put in Tuel Time's basket. I don't understand it.

(Not sure why that stuff is bolded.)

You act like the patient posters aren't the same guys who said Gabbert sucks, Skelton sucks, etc. etc. If EJ was on a different team, the consensus would change drastically.

I hated Gabbert before the draft. That said, if the Bills were dumb enough to draft him, I would be all for giving him a 2nd year.

And check the numbers. EJ's college career was far superior to Gabbert's. EJ's rookie year was better across the board than Gabbert.

http://m.pfref.com/m?p=XXplayersXXGXXGabbBl00.htm&t=0

Same with Skelton. http://m.pfref.com/m?p=XXplayersXXSXXSkelJo00.htm&t=0 But didn't we trade Mario Williams for him anyways?

As a fellow west coaster I saw a lot of his games at Wazoo too and thought he stunk and was injury riddled. He got beat out by Marshall Loebbestael of all people. I wonder where he is now?

I hope he works out. But come on Bills. He's our second stringer behind an injury riddled EJ (who I do like)? That's a lot of eggs to put in Tuel Time's basket. I don't understand it.

(Not sure why that stuff is bolded.)

He didn't win the job yet. Lewis, who's won NFL games, will get to play with the 2s this week.

I'll agree if you clarify. Steve or Vince?

Tuel was a non-drafted free agent. So we know right away he is not Manning or Luck. Still there is something in him that the coaching staff likes. He has come back with a stronger arm this season which is a plus. He seems to be decisive and flexible. We have seen him in one preseason game. Let's give him a break and see what develops. What other options do we have?

I hated Gabbert before the draft. That said, if the Bills were dumb enough to draft him, I would be all for giving him a 2nd year.

And check the numbers. EJ's college career was far superior to Gabbert's. EJ's rookie year was better across the board than Gabbert.

http://m.pfref.com/m...abbBl00.htm&t=0

Same with Skelton. http://m.pfref.com/m...00.htm&t=0 But didn't we trade Mario Williams for him anyways?

He didn't win the job yet. Lewis, who's won NFL games, will get to play with the 2s this week.

Gabbert gets two years in the Biscuit world, but Tuel doesn't. Can't make this up.

Gabbert gets two years in the Biscuit world, but Tuel doesn't. Can't make this up.

I never once said to cut Tuel. I just think he's a backup at the absolutely best. And it's crazy that a first round pick has a longer leash than an undrafted free agent with a 4-21 college record. Crazy?

P.s. As terrible as Gabbert is, he had a better qb rating than Tuel when both were rookies. Tap out kid, you're losing. :)

Sadly, what Tuel has, EJ lacks. What EJ has, Tuel lacks. We need the best skills of each to merge into one player. That won't happen anytime soon.

The next Jim Kelly for our team is not currently on the roster. Get used to that.

I LAUGHED at the notion of Tuel being taken as a UDFA. He was a lousy college QB with mediocre arm strength... I never thought he'd make the roster, but with limited competition, it wasn't hard to imagine.

That aside, EJ manuel has yet to separate himself from his understudies. -When we took him, he was the best QB available. Of that, I have zero doubt. However since that time EJ hasn't progressed in a way that would make him a viable NFL starter. Yah, I know about the injuries, blah, blah... Plus the OC is TERRIBLE. -All that is understood. Still, there appears to be more questions about his ability to operate the offense. -Why is he still blowing through his progressions? What's with the dowward trajectory on his shorter throws? -Three batted balls in one series is pretty alarming.

All these things are leading me to believe that Jeff Tuel is a bigger threat to EJ than we think. And if he's not, then he f#*ing SHOULD BE. Jeff throws a nice ball. Jeff is calm going through his progressions. -Moves OK in the pocket. Jeff's accuracy doesn't seem any worse than EJ's at this point. EJ is bigger, stronger, and allegedly more mobile, but at this juncture, I CAN'T honestly say he's a better QB... Therefore (Drumroll please) JEFF TUEL SHOULD GO WITH THE 1's AT CAROLINA.

Give him the start. See what he does. If he stinks, we lose nothing. It may even help expedite the decision on backup QB.

If he's awesome, then EJ has a major problem... Could be the kick in the pants he needs to get better FASTER. If Tuel can operate Hackett's dry, primitve, and predictable offense better than EJ can, then he should be given consideration as starter. It's only fair.

I'm nowhere near being a fan of his, but if there was ever a "Tuel time" -it's now.

Edited by #34fan

He (Tuel Time) didn't win the job yet. Lewis, who's won NFL games, will get to play with the 2s this week.

Thank goodness. However it seems that the coaching staff is really high on this guy for some reason. He was the number 2 at the start of the season last year until he laid that monstrous egg in Cleveland.

Thad is not pretty. He's not the most accurate guy either. But he did last year what you need a backup to do. Win about half the games by playing ball control and not flubbing up too much. With a little help from the D and kicking teams (Cinci and Patsies games) we may have won 4 out of 5 with him in there.

Edited by reddogblitz

I never once said to cut Tuel. I just think he's a backup at the absolutely best. And it's crazy that a first round pick has a longer leash than an undrafted free agent with a 4-21 college record. Crazy?

P.s. As terrible as Gabbert is, he had a better qb rating than Tuel when both were rookies. Tap out kid, you're losing. :)

You do realize how stupid it is to spout stats and the "small sample size" argument together, right?

No they are they same. And by the same expert evaluation criteria, Brady, Rodgers, stafford, Brees, Eli, Rogers, romo, keap would all be out of the league.

All these guy were either lousey as rookie starters or not even good enough to start on thier team year 1.

Luck is borderline, Flacco just Barry lousey....

Pretty much rg3, cam, Ben r, Matt Ryan and Wilson are the only quality starting QBs in the league base on rookie performance.

No they are they same. And by the same expert evaluation criteria, Brady, Rodgers, stafford, Brees, Eli, Rogers, romo, keap would all be out of the league.

All these guy were either lousey as rookie starters or not even good enough to start on thier team year 1.

Luck is borderline, Flacco just Barry lousey....

Pretty much rg3, cam, Ben r, Matt Ryan and Wilson are the only quality starting QBs in the league base on rookie performance.

Well then, let's get one of those guys.

I LAUGHED at the notion of Tuel being taken as a UDFA. He was a lousy college QB with mediocre arm strength... I never thought he'd make the roster, but with limited competition, it wasn't hard to imagine.

That aside, EJ manuel has yet to separate himself from his understudies. -When we took him, he was the best QB available. Of that, I have zero doubt. However since that time EJ hasn't progressed in a way that would make him a viable NFL starter. Yah, I know about the injuries, blah, blah... Plus the OC is TERRIBLE. -All that is understood. Still, there appears to be more questions about his ability to operate the offense. -Why is he still blowing through his progressions? What's with the dowward trajectory on his shorter throws? -Three batted balls in one series is pretty alarming.

All these things are leading me to believe that Jeff Tuel is a bigger threat to EJ than we think. And if he's not, then he f#*ing SHOULD BE. Jeff throws a nice ball. Jeff is calm going through his progressions. -Moves OK in the pocket. Jeff's accuracy doesn't seem any worse than EJ's at this point. EJ is bigger, stronger, and allegedly more mobile, but at this juncture, I CAN'T honestly say he's a better QB... Therefore (Drumroll please) JEFF TUEL SHOULD GO WITH THE 1's AT CAROLINA.

Give him the start. See what he does. If he stinks, we lose nothing. It may even help expedite the decision on backup QB.

If he's awesome, then EJ has a major problem... Could be the kick in the pants he needs to get better FASTER. If Tuel can operate Hackett's dry, primitve, and predictable offense better than EJ can, then he should be given consideration as starter. It's only fair.

I'm nowhere near being a fan of his, but if there was ever a "Tuel time" -it's now.

No head coach in the league would do this. NO HEAD COACH IN THE WORLD WOULD DO THIS in our scenario.

Ej. Drafted #1. Is without question, debate, wonder, wish, or anything like that NOT THE STARTER OF THIS TEAM RIGHT NOW.

Only a Tuel fan would suggest this.

After the free preseason game we got, no coach would do what you're suggesting.

That would be like giving up on your first round pick. Teams do that sure. But not when he showed flashes of being a top qb and also when injuries were a factor.

Fans may give up on a #1 draft pick and go with the undrafted qb who was hot LAST YEAR in preseason but took a dump on the field when it really mattered. Fans may do that. But not coaches.

So my friend, I say this to you: I am so glad you're not the head coach of this team.

I hate to disappoint some people but Tuel isn't going anywhere and until EJ separates himself from the backup QB's.... this is going to be a preseason long narrative. Both EJ and Tuel seems like super nice guys, engaging and hard working. You just never know how their careers will turn out? Tuel appears smart and confident from his interviews so maybe the dude will have the light come on faster than EJ? I did like the KC game, up until that one fateful pass. I liked some of the things EJ did too last year and hated some. RIght now i can't honestly say EJ is way ahead of Tuel. Just haven't seen proof of it on the field.

http://m.pfref.com/m...abbBl00.htm&t=0

Same with Skelton. http://m.pfref.com/m...00.htm&t=0 But didn't we trade Mario Williams for him anyways?

I like this move. Using the tier system, Lewis will play with a better oline, better wr core. The 2's. Tuel will play with the 3's.

So what will happen this Friday?

Will Thad guy Thad outperform Tuel?

Will Tuel outperform That guy Thad?

I cant wait till Friday!!!!

Well then, let's get one of those guys.

Perfect! No clue why the front office hasn't figured it out.

Or better yet, pick up a third rounder that goes to the probowler and then add a 5th rounder who will be buried in the depth chart at first but grows into a hall of famer.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

He beat out Loebbestael in both 2010 and 2011. Loebbestael received extended playing time in 2011 because Tuel was hurt and Loebbestael had strung together a bunch of impressive games in his absence. Really can't pin that on Tuel other than the fact that he is injury prone.

I'm laughing at myself for defending Jeff Tuel, a guy who I don't even really like or want to see as our starter. I just feel he's getting unfairly attacked because our prized investment (Manuel) isn't paying off as quickly as we'd hoped.

Our undrafted free agent who has shown the pro game isn't to big for him (KC) who faired well against the Giants first, second, and third string players the other night sucks now?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want him to start but if an undrafted rookie free agent QB can hold his own against a top 5 defense, I'd like to see what he can do.

Our undrafted free agent who has shown the pro game isn't to big for him (KC) who faired well against the Giants first, second, and third string players the other night sucks now?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want him to start but if an undrafted rookie free agent QB can hold his own against a top 5 defense, I'd like to see what he can do.

You mean the game where the other offense didn't score a touchdown and still won? Where he was helped by 200 rushing yds and still lost. the one where he comlpeted less than 50% of his passes? The one where he had a wide open WR in the endzone and threw a pick 6?

That one?

You mean the game where the other offense didn't score a touchdown and still won? Where he was helped by 200 rushing yds and still lost. the one where he comlpeted less than 50% of his passes? The one where he had a wide open WR in the endzone and threw a pick 6?

That one?

You do realize we only had 200 yards rushing because KC was afraid of Tuel's arm? Right?

That one?

that's exactly the one. Please don't think I'm trying to turn Tuel into a starter. At all. But the game doesn't look to big for him. That is a big deal.

That one?

that's exactly the one. Please don't think I'm trying to turn Tuel into a starter. At all. But the game doesn't look to big for him. That is a big deal.

I usually don't like to be the grammar police, but you did it 3 times. TOO BIG, not to big. To big what? Come on man, you don't want to sound like a Tool do ya?

our prized investment (Manuel) isn't paying off as quickly as we'd hoped.

The night EJ was drafted everyone here and on TV said he was a project and he would take time to adjust to the pro game and learn what he needed to and improve what he needed to improve. I knew this would not go well in 2014 and it's not.

Patience is a virtue (except when it comes to football!).

I usually don't like to be the grammar police, but you did it 3 times. TOO BIG, not to big. To big what? Come on man, you don't want to sound like a Tool do ya?

The night EJ was drafted everyone here and on TV said he was a project and he would take time to adjust to the pro game and learn what he needed to and improve what he needed to improve. I knew this would not go well in 2014 and it's not.

Patience is a virtue (except when it comes to football!).

one of my favorite bands ever. I'd love to sound like tool!

NFL coaches should have open competition at every position, QB included. I don't care if you were drafted in the first round. If someone beats you out, that's life. NFL coaches play it safe because they are playing to keep their jobs. That's why many players keep their starting positions around the league. They (coaches) know the backlash of benching a first round QB would be a PR nightmare and possible unemployment.

DITTO !! We need to trade them both for Mallet !!

NFL coaches should have open competition at every position, QB included. I don't care if you were drafted in the first round. If someone beats you out, that's life. NFL coaches play it safe because they are playing to keep their jobs. That's why many players keep their starting positions around the league. They (coaches) know the backlash of benching a first round QB would be a PR nightmare and possible unemployment.

You're right and wrong.

If their first round QB that they drafted gets beat out, they'll start the guy who beats him out. But they would never, ever, say anything like that until it happens.

The PR nightmare starts when they give pieces to the media. If Tuel flat-out beat EJ in everything, I have no doubt Marrone would start him.

You have no idea how football practice works. You need to give your starter as many reps as possible. It's not high school.

The only place where Tuel is on the same level as EJ is by a few wackos here. Tuel has not outperformed EJ as a qb ever in his life. It's the reason EJ is a starter while Tuel is competing for a backup job.

No they shouldn't.

It's not always a positive thing.

They create controversies.

They hurt the team/locker.

Confuses the team.

Affects the confidence of the starter (See Kyle vs Tebow)

Affects the rythim of the offense and receivers.

Yeah I know it's an exxagerated example, but should they have a qb competion in Denver? Hell no. They have the best qb of all time.

Right now the true starter, Ej Manuel, wether anybody likes it or not, needs to practice with the starters. Plain and simple. It has nothing to do with head coach job security.

I guess the ultimate question is: what are the expectations of Tuel?

If he can be developed into a good decision maker, good in the pocket, protects the ball, questionable arm/can't make all the throws type of QB, that seems like a guy we want as a backup.

Same goes for Thad, frankly.

Based on what I have seen, Tuel seems more likely to get there.