Ridiculous Pegula fracking assertion made by Bulldog.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't that why Azalin started this board?

oh, not at all, sir. you've got me all wrong. I only wanted to bolster the bond of fellowship among Bills fans by removing such polarizing topics as political commentary and social issues. giving potentially contentious off-topic posts a new home was motivated by nothing but a genuine, warm-hearted desire to do good, and nothing at all to do with crushing the minds and spirits of otherwise innocent people in an effort to drag their wretched souls to a screaming eternity of torment in the flaming halls where the master's tender mercies are administered at the end of his burning trident.

PPP doesn't do that. I do that.

and you're due for a raise.

oh, not at all, sir. you've got me all wrong. I only wanted to bolster the bond of fellowship among Bills fans by removing such polarizing topics as political commentary and social issues. giving potentially contentious off-topic posts a new home was motivated by nothing but a genuine, warm-hearted desire to do good, and nothing at all to do with crushing the minds and spirits of otherwise innocent people in an effort to drag their wretched souls to a screaming eternity of torment in the flaming halls where the master's tender mercies are administered at the end of his burning trident.

... and the unintended consequences of such a goodwill gesture.

Well, now that this thread has been moved, I have to express my frustration that all issues related to conservation are "liberal-only" issues. It's foolish. I will admit that I know little about fracking issues as they relate to NYS (and I assume that the relevance varies between states), but I can say that fracking in California, where I live, is quickly becoming an unmitigated disaster. And, when I say "unmitigated," I mean that literally. The oil industry recently spent $1.5 million in less than three months in lobbying efforts to squash a moratorium bill (which had close to 70% public approval). It is clearly exacerbating the drought, and damaging agriculture. Many almond trees, for example, will be lost this year. It pumps millions of gallons of chemically tainted water (chemicals that the oil companies will not disclose under the guise of proprietary secrecy) into the ground, threatening the water supply. There is also mounting evidence that it is contributing to increased seismic activity. And when anything like this is brought up, it is received by a chorus from the right of "environmental extremists!" "liberal bias!" or "leftist hacks!"

Why? When did conservation (a word that shares the same root as conservative) become anathema to the conservative movement? Is the conservative movement that married to corporate entitlement that all environmental concerns must be dismissed off hand?

Well, now that this thread has been moved, I have to express my frustration that all issues related to conservation are "liberal-only" issues. It's foolish. I will admit that I know little about fracking issues as they relate to NYS (and I assume that the relevance varies between states), but I can say that fracking in California, where I live, is quickly becoming an unmitigated disaster. And, when I say "unmitigated," I mean that literally. The oil industry recently spent $1.5 million in less than three months in lobbying efforts to squash a moratorium bill (which had close to 70% public approval). It is clearly exacerbating the drought, and damaging agriculture. Many almond trees, for example, will be lost this year. It pumps millions of gallons of chemically tainted water (chemicals that the oil companies will not disclose under the guise of proprietary secrecy) into the ground, threatening the water supply. There is also mounting evidence that it is contributing to increased seismic activity. And when anything like this is brought up, it is received by a chorus from the right of "environmental extremists!" "liberal bias!" or "leftist hacks!"

Why? When did conservation (a word that shares the same root as conservative) become anathema to the conservative movement? Is the conservative movement that married to corporate entitlement that all environmental concerns must be dismissed off hand?

It's all about seeing the subtle shades of grey in a black and white world, my man. I'd skew conservative, but no more want chemically tainted water than you do. I'd skew conservative, but no more want to see a child with a critical illness be left out in the cold without access to health care. i'd make the argument that a liberal crusader like albert farnsworth gore is no more/less connected to 'corporate entitlement' than any robber barron capitalist that one might toss out to buttress the 'conservatives are married to money' argument.

on your thoughts re: frackalackin', i'd take you at your word that you believe what you say. on the other hand, i'd trust but verify. if we disagree, so be it.

While some states like California (or areas in the state) may not be suitable for fracking it doesn't excuse your dumping all that fresh water into the Pacific in order to save the Delta Smelt. California is just an irrigated desert and water is its most precious resource. When are you guys going to find some sensible solutions to you problems rather than bringing back a Jerry Brown?