GO Bucks

YoloinOhio

Spent my first weekend ever in Columbus. Some of the nicest people I have ever met and a very cool, underrated city. Def see their appeal to recruits.

Btw, they could care less about their NHL team. Went to a bar on a Saturday with like 20 tvs and the blue jackets playing 5 minutes away and not one had the game on.

Spent my first weekend ever in Columbus. Some of the nicest people I have ever met and a very cool, underrated city. Def see their appeal to recruits.

Btw, they could care less about their NHL team. Went to a bar on a Saturday with like 20 tvs and the blue jackets playing 5 minutes away and not one had the game on.

sounds about right. They will start paying attention to the CBJ after football season, but only if they are winning. And even then they compete with OSU Bball. Edited by YoloinOhio

Cbus is great. Between the downtown/arena district area, the German Village, Short North artsy area, and of course campus, there are lots of different ways and places to enjoy the city. Big contrast to schools in communities that revolve entirely around the campus.

It's still a relatively young hockey town, and CBJ games are fun, but I agree the reception has underperformed expectations.

Cbus is great. Between the downtown/arena district area, the German Village, Short North artsy area, and of course campus, there are lots of different ways and places to enjoy the city. Big contrast to schools in communities that revolve entirely around the campus.

It's still a relatively young hockey town, and CBJ games are fun, but I agree the reception has underperformed expectations.

6 game home winning streak! Fire the cannon! Gotta see it live! Lol

I'm glad to see them doing well for once. They will still be relatively ignored until at least January or depending on how far OSU gets in football. OSU Bball looking like it's in for another long season :( so hoping CBJ will get us through the winter.

I'm so damn nervous about Sparty. I know they are banged up and have a very poor record but dantonio just seems to have our number. I will also never forget that November day in 1998!!!Saw stat today that OSU has faced MSU 7 times in November while ranked in the top 5. They've won twice. Those kids better be ready and not looking ahead!!

Edited by YoloinOhio

Yeah, I'm nervous too. This year has reminded us that highly ranked teams are not immune from traditional stumbling blocks (Happy Valley White Outs for the Bucks; Kinnick Stadium for UM) against unranked opponents. One silver lining for the Bucks is that none of the huge Sparty losses in recent memory (1998, 2013, 2015) happened at MSU. They were at the Shoe (ugh) or Indy. OSU has won many tough games at MSU -- hopefully they will get another one Saturday afternoon. There will be wind and rain, of course.

Huge win in a miserable environment. People will criticize OSU for squeaking out a win against an unranked team, but when was the last time any team scored style points on the road in a snow storm? Plus, it was a rivalry game. Before today, I hadn't truly considered the Spartans a rival because they are not a traditional powerhouse and I have longstanding respect and admiration for Coach D. But I ran out of love for Dantonio today while watching him empty his bag of tricks on the Bucks. F that guy and his program. Also, if I never see LJ Scott again it will be too soon - the guy absolutely gutted the Bucks D two years in a row.

Another ugly day for JT - the passing is not getting better (is Noah Brown still on the team?). The Oline has been a problem in every tough game so far this year - that's not changing either. I'm just glad that Urban put the game in the defense's hands at the very end. Best decision he made all day. I'm thrilled to get out of there with a W.

*ichigan Week!!!

Edited by Willyville Guy

Herbstriet called Penn St's turnaround "the story of the year in college football." Congrats on a remarkable season. Now please lose!

no you know Sparty is going to lose next week by 3 TDs. They shot their wad yesterday. I don't even know if they are aware they still have another game to play next week.

Just thrilled to see the Bucks win a great game against their biggest rival. It was a very emotional game with big ups and downs, and all of those kids just playing their hearts out for their teams. Hugely entertaining. Incredible way to end the season. I love college football for days like that. The rivalry is back to a boiling point. For Michigan, it sort of looked like the 2015 MSU game where they took a crushing loss but showed that they were ready to play a dominating rival evenly again.

What a defensive effort for the Bucks on Saturday and all year long. Meyer tells them to "swing! swing! swing!" as hard as they can until the final whistle, and that is exactly what they did. The D willed the team to victory through turnovers, huge stops, and -- perhaps most importantly -- holding Michigan to five yards of offense in the fourth quarter while the visitors tried to hold the lead.

As for the offense, ugh. The three-headed rushing monster of Barrett/Weber/Samuel again caused problems for a great defense. Each of them stepped up and made a play when needed to keep putting points on the board when everything was on the line. The passing, though, man -- it's completely off the rails. The guy with a broken collar bone outplayed our guy. I'm having a tough time imagining trophies and confetti without a competent passing game. We'll see if they get a chance to try to fix it this year. We'll also have to discuss Barrett, his regression, and next year at a later time in this thread.

As for Harbaugh, I think it was a terrible look for him to spend an eight-minute press conference complaining about the refs. It was a great and physical game--the last rivalry game for his many seniors--and he chose not to even acknowledge any of that. The spot was a very close, very tough call. There is no good angle. You can say he looked short, and I can say it looked like forward progress carried the ball to the 15 yard line -- the truth is nobody knows. The ref called a tie in favor of the runner at home, which is perfectly normal. There was no evidence to overturn the spot. I don't understand the outrage as anything other than sour grapes. Maybe it's because I'm from Buffalo: I've seen a clear-as-day overhead photo of Brett Hull with his skate in the crease on the front page of the paper; I've seen the replay of Wycheck throwing that forward pass; I watched that puck go in through the side of the net against the Penguins; I've seen evidence of the refs deciding to "just give it to" the Patriots. I know what it's like to see my team get absolutely effed by the refs with evidence to prove it. The spot on fourth down is far more subjective and does not qualify. Michigan fans howling otherwise are just pouring out their salty tears for Buckeye fans to drink.

I know there were other calls that could have been made or should not have been made, but that's pretty much every game. I note that there were no offensive holding calls against Michigan either, as they aggressively tried to protect their injured QB, and a Buckeye got a penalty for not having his friggin' mouth guard. Bottom line is that Michigan blew a lead and lost the game because of turnovers and a disappearing offense. It happens.

As for the playoffs, I have a feeling the Bucks will get in, but there can’t be any realistic expectations with a QB who can’t throw a five-yard slant. The only thing we can hope for is that his intangibles will show up when needed again, which doesn’t seem sustainable. Just keep feeding Samuel, keep playing defense, and keep swinging swinging swinging.

Go Bucks!

Ah ... very well stated. I have so much to say about that game and so little time. Soooo much shade for Peppers and Harbaugh. What a shitshow those two provided. But A few highlights

- an unforgettable experience and roller coaster

- JT has ice in his veins. He's an absolute savage. He is struggling with accuracy. But after re-watching the game...

- there were multiple dropped passes. They need to get Campbell out of there and put in KJ Hill or Bin Victor or anyone else

- Isaiah Prince is a major liability going into the playoffs. They need to figure out what to do - I think they were giving him help with dressing Brandon Bowen as a TE and giving prince help. They need to address it immediately.

- on the flip side Jamaro Jones looked great at LT vs a ridiculously good DL.

-They had no answer for Samuel (Held on at least 65 percent of pass plays - Hooked around the waist a

Never called.) Peppers (B1G DPOY lol) could not handle him in man coverage. Hairball can cry all he wants about the refs but he got calls and non-calls his way too.

-Weber does all the little things. Gets the tough yards and the huge blocks. Most underrated guy on the team IMO.

-OSU Rushmen package with Lewis, Bosa, Hubbard, Holmes is unbelievable. UM veteran OL could not stop.

-Michigan had the edge in many categories on Saturday but the mental part of the game was not one of them. They just melted down along with their coach at the end of regulation and OT. It was fascinating. OSU was the smarter, better conditioned and more mentally strong team and it showed. That's coaching. 44 freshmen (unexpectedly) went 11-1 with that brutal schedule. 3 top 10 wins. Only loss was to a top 10 team in a night road game as the opponent came off a bye - a week after playing and beating another top 10 team in a night road game as the opponent came off a bye. No one has OSU's resume.

As far as JT... he is what he is now with 1-2 games left. They aren't going to fix him in a month. There are contributing factors like the RT lack of protection and WR not stepping up but I don't think his accuracy issues are correctable at this point. Though I think Michigan's D was phenomenal, it won't get any easier vs Clemson or Bama. I do think that playing in a dome setting for the playoffs will be a fast track for the offensive players that will be a huge difference in level of execution from some of the monsoons, wind and snow games we had in the regular season.

Edited by YoloinOhio

The game is over - Congrats to Ohio State.

I saw this today on facebook though and remembered what I didn't like about the game. The pass interference calls, or lack there of. Quite a few of them.

Again, congrats on the win.

https://www.facebook.com/harbaughgoblue/videos/906108036187767/

Thanks. Everyone agrees on the Conley PI, I think. I didn't look at the FB link but not sure if they only included calls they thought should have been made in michigan's favor. I was at the game, and there were a number of calls not made the other way as well (specifically defensive holding on Delano Hill/Peppers trying to cover Curtis Samuel and holding/PF on Kyle Kalis. They were obvious too. Not the best day for the refs.

Bob in Michigan - thanks. It really was a great game. The way things are going, we might see a rematch this year!

I saw the linked video earlier today. I understand the instinct to complain about the refs. What I don't like about the video is that it singles out the individual refs and accuses them of purposefully manipulating the game because supposedly they are Buckeye fans. I think that's where this "controversy" crosses the line from ordinary grumbling to a loony-toons conspiracy theory. I'm not saying that's you--you've been nothing but civil--but it's an unfortunate message that I believe started with Harbaugh and has caught fire within the Michigan community.

Ohio State outgained Michigan 235-61 after the Wolverines went up 17-7. That should bother Michigan fans far more than the refs' hometowns, in my opinion.

Looks like Fickell, Coombs, and Schiano are all interviewing for head coach or coordinator positions at other programs. I wish those guys nothing but the best, but it would be a shame if the Bucks experience at big setback at key coaching positions just as the kids come of age.

And more immediately, I hope none of this distracts from Clemson.

Looks like Fickell, Coombs, and Schiano are all interviewing for head coach or coordinator positions at other programs. I wish those guys nothing but the best, but it would be a shame if the Bucks experience at big setback at key coaching positions just as the kids come of age.

And more immediately, I hope none of this distracts from Clemson.

i think Urban always knows he can lose assistants at any time and likely expected to lose Schiano - the rumor is he always has assistants sign a 2 year agreement but did not do that with Schiano. He likely has replacements ready to go. I don't love the lack of continuity in system but then again with all the players we have leave for the NFL after 1-2 years of playing it's often a fresh group anyway.

As far as distractions during the playoff, that's a concern but wasn't an issue with Tim Herman in 2014. I think it depends on the coach and the situation. Looks like Bama will be dealing with same thing with Lane.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I'd like to see Urban pick up Kevin Wilson to run the offense, move Warriner back to OL duty, and I guess let Beck go back to full time QB coach. Urban loves the way Wilson calls games and has always heaped praise on the guy. He runs the same offense Urban wants to run, and he had success with far less talent than he would have at Ohio State. Yeah, sounds like he was rough with the players during practice at IU - but maybe that can be managed.

I'd like to see Urban pick up Kevin Wilson to run the offense, move Warriner back to OL duty, and I guess let Beck go back to full time QB coach. Urban loves the way Wilson calls games and has always heaped praise on the guy. He runs the same offense Urban wants to run, and he had success with far less talent than he would have at Ohio State. Yeah, sounds like he was rough with the players during practice at IU - but maybe that can be managed.

i wouldn't be surprised to see him hire Wilson, either. Urban won't be criticized for hiring him with the issues he had at IU because he's Urban. Schiano had a lot of issues in Tampa and urban doesn't care because he knows him and thinks he's a good coach. I think if Wilson isn't in a position of power like HC he can just focus on OC - that would be huge. Wonder who he will want for DC (I think Fickell is gone and Coombs will go with him). I think Schiano is less of a lock to leave and if he stays that would be great but still need a couple assistants. Honestly the guy I think they could afford to lose the least is Larry Johnson, Sr. He is an unbelievable DL coach. Edited by YoloinOhio

So it looks like Torrence Gibson is moving on, although it's not clear where. That's too bad. All year long we bitched about how none of the receivers could get separation - and he was supposed to be the guy to get that done. Frustrating, especially in light of Urban's unusually public objection to the suspension earlier this year. I wish Gibson well.

Meanwhile, with all of the D1 head coach vacancies now filled, it looks like this year's coaching drain is done. Keeping Schiano and Coombs is a big win. Looking forward to a good hire to coach LBs. Still hope to see some changes on the offensive side of the ball.

Gibson has only himself to blame as to why he's not going to be the next great OSU WR. Still, it sucks. He had so much potential.

I know Urban was pissed about the university's decision but it's not because he did nothing wrong. Urban just wanted the punishment to be lighter and on his terms. But he was already in Urban's doghouse from his freshman year. Just really lacked the maturity and toughness to play for the S&G.

Lots of excitement about Haskins playing the Watson role during practice lately. Apparently the kid looks great.

as you can imagine this has also made many fans worried about the D. Like, so how good does he look? Does this mean the D can't stop Watson because Haskins is lighting them up on scout team? We're screwed!

Wonder if we will get a trick play next week a la the Evan Spencer to Michael Thomas TD vs Bama? Maybe a little Haskins action?

• 2 weeks later...