GO Bucks

YoloinOhio

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hearing it will be receivers. So Braxton's decision to switch to h-back is timely.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/07/23/braxton-miller-ohio-state-move-wide-receiver

yes it sure is. Also will return punts... So maybe it's jalyn Marshall? Dontre Wilson? Hoping for anyone but Michael Thomas. I also heard a rumor about bosa and cardale for game 1. Getting interesting.

Anyway the Braxton news is really cool. I had heard he was taking reps at WR. He will be ridiculous.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Thomas and Smith on the outside

Marshall/Wilson in the slot

Samuels/Braxton at H

Filthy

Direct snaps to Miller with EZE and Vannett blocking.

No clue who will play QB.

All that excitement but now I'm worried about what's going on with these rumors. Kids these days....

Thomas and Smith on the outside

Marshall/Wilson in the slot

Samuels/Braxton at H

Filthy

Direct snaps to Miller with EZE and Vannett blocking.

No clue who will play QB.

All that excitement but now I'm worried about what's going on with these rumors. Kids these days....

Remember when Evan spencer threw the TD pass vs Bama? Imagine being a DC worried about that every time Braxton lines up at WR... Urban is the GOAT!

From the way it sounds, could be drugs (pot) and team issued suspension (not a Noah Spence situation) for the 2 WRs. Hearing Cardale skipped class (hardly worthy of a game suspension IMO unless he's not starting) and Bosa a violation of team rules. Just rumors.

My pure guess on the WR suspensions are Noah Brown and johnnie Dixon.

I sure wish we opened with a cupcake instead of on the road at night vs Va Tech!

Edited by YoloinOhio

Rumor now is Marshall and Corey Smith as the WRs. Sigh. Smith makes sense because he seems to have a 20 cent head. But I thought that about Devin at one time too and he redeemed himself.

I love Jalen's talent but would prefer to never see him back to return punts as long as I live.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I have never really understood Corey Smith. He dropped so many balls in the Va. Tech game last year, and never really seemed consistent over the course of the season, but Urban appears to love him and keeps sending him out there. My guess is that Urban will prove me wrong again and Smith will have a great year.

Marshall was a beast in the playoffs and earned back a lot of credibility with me. Moving him to the outside opposite Thomas (the real star in that group as far as I can tell) could be a very good thing.

Funny thing about the hoopla surrounding Braxton's move to receiver and punt returner -- apparently Urban said that he hasn't even seen the kid catch a ball yet due to NCAA summer rules. I hope the move works out; Braxton has been through so much as a Buckeye, and he has stayed loyal and carried himself with a ton of poise throughout. How firm thy friendship indeed.

So many playmakers everywhere we look -- just snap the damn ball already!

Canisius HS kicker Blake Haubeil (junior) verbally committed tonight at Friday Night Lights. Another commit for 2017. Kind of cool to have a kid from Buffalo playing for the Buckeyes. Last one was Doug Worthington.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Ouch - that would be a lot of talent sitting in Urban's doghouse. Not sure how many more chances Wilson in particular will get. I'm very interested to hear what these kids did and how it will be handled by the team/school/league/NCAA.

Not that it matters in the big picture, but I'm surprised the athletic department marketing people signed off on a B1G media-day announcement. There is plenty of PR "downtime" during the summer that may be a better time to announce bad news. Or maybe they think the news will be somewhat lost in the shuffle with all of the activity around media day. The AD never really seems to have a good feel for the media in these situations.

@TIM_MAYsports: Joey Bosa, Jalin Marshall to miss Ohio State opener at VaTech, violation of ath dept. policy sources say. Details at http://t.co/N9h8QRD125

@MarcGivlerBG: Receivers Corey Smith and Dontre Wilson also out for Virginia Tech game per a University statement #Buckeyes

allegedly it's a drug test for all (that will probably never be confirmed by OSU), it happened about 4 months ago, and they purposely dropped the news 3 hours before he is scheduled to take the podium so they can control the questioning or something.

Ok here's my new theory on why they announced it now. And by "they" I mean Urban, since he calls all the shots over there.

-He is a master of manipulation and psychology with his players. He knows that they are favored by double digits in every game this year. He knows that they played best last year when they were under dogs. He wants them to feel like they still have their backs up against the wall and are are coming from a place of "behind" being down these starters. The sooner he does this, the better

- he wants to take the focus off of the QB battle

- he thinks he has the talent to overcome the losses for this game, so much so that he doesn't care that va tech now doesn't have to prepare for Bosa

- Bosa has already been projected on some mock drafts as a #1 overall pick and he already has won the national championship. Other than a few relatively meaningless individual cfb awards, he virtually has nothing left to prove. Urban knows he has to motivate him this year because though I don't think he has the same mentality, he could go full Clowney. So while Urban could have probably swept this under the rug and punished him differently, bosa will have to deal with this and feel something extra to prove and overcome the character concern with his play.

- urban is laying down the law on how his program will be run. It doesn't matter who you are. He doesn't want another Noah spence situation pop up before a bowl game.

I heard it's the pot. Allegedly.

@schadjoe: Ohio State players were suspended for marijuana and academics per source

I think Bosa was academics

Edited by YoloinOhio

I think you’re onto something important. UFM needs to keep this team angry and focused, so I do not discount the psychological/motivational part of this.

Another thing could be the pressure he’s under to hold his players accountable and treat everyone equal. We know what “they” say about his time in Florida – showing favoritism, allowing certain players to operate above the rules that applied to the rest of the team, losing control. Hell, some jokers out there blame Meyer for Aaron Hernandez’s actions. We know that’s crap, at least since he’s come home, because he quietly benched Marcus Hall for the 2013 B1G championship following the fight and fingers that broke out during The Game. That showed Meyer has little tolerance for nonsense and is willing to bench his best players in big games for not behaving up to standards. This is an extension of that. He’s a new man now (at least in terms of player discipline) and wants everyone to know it.

And finally, I think he’s excited to see and show the depth on this team. I mean, people may have heard by now that Ohio State backups tend to do well when opportunities present themselves (ahem). His smirk during today’s presser leads me to believe that he’s excited to see some of the underclassmen get an opportunity to earn the privilege of playing time.

All of this relates to an overarching point. The Woody Hayes Athletic Center is loaded with athletes right now, all of whom are foaming at the mouth to get a chance to make a difference. Meyer is sending a message that the team needs to stay focused, nobody gets special treatment, and if a starter makes a mistake and has to spend some time on the bench there is no guaranty that the he will get back on the field when the punishment is over. Lots of pressure and competition in that building right now.