GO Bucks

YoloinOhio

So today Meyer said that Jones is the starting QB. Jones has started every game this season, so I'm not 100% sure why this is big news. Maybe it means Jones will be allowed more time to work through early-game issues - instead of getting benched for Barrett if he has two poor series.

I'm more concerned about Ed Warinner trying to juggle OC responsibilities (especially play calling) and also coach the oline. That might be too much for one guy to handle. I heard something about the QB coach calling plays from up in the booth this week. We'll see how it goes....

So today Meyer said that Jones is the starting QB. Jones has started every game this season, so I'm not 100% sure why this is big news. Maybe it means Jones will be allowed more time to work through early-game issues - instead of getting benched for Barrett if he has two poor series.

I'm more concerned about Ed Warinner trying to juggle OC responsibilities (especially play calling) and also coach the oline. That might be too much for one guy to handle. I heard something about the QB coach calling plays from up in the booth this week. We'll see how it goes....

the change in OC has had a negative affect for two reasons. One, Warriner was a great OL coach but so far not in Herman's class as an OC. Second, the OL has suffered since he moved to OC which has exascerbated the other offensive issues. I don't know if Beck in the booth can help, but I am all for trying something new. I hope they find a deep threat to replace Devin (how on earth do they not have one waiting in the wings with all these 4 and 5 star recruits from Florida?) because if not they are wasting Cardale's arm.

I do hope they don't yank him after every bad series. Last week was so painful.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• 2 weeks later...

While I'm sitting here stressing every game and wringing my hands over how and why the offense isn't farther along, Urban has been saying all week that he feels the team is making substantial progress and is on the brink of an offensive breakthrough. Normally I'd write that off as coachspeak, but Urban has never been one to sugarcoat his assessment of where one of his teams is at a particular point in time. He sees something he likes.

Last year from the Michigan game forward every single player was super motivated to do his part to support the third-string QB -- practicing and playing hard to support Jones was a rallying point that helped bring the entire team even closer than it had been following the big conference games against Penn St. and MSU. That bond kept everyone loose as the lights became brighter and brighter. My guess is that the Miller-Barrett-Jones situation over the summer and earlier this season shifted the QB position from a rallying point to a distraction. They need to get back to the point where the team is rallying around Jones and not looking to see what he will do next or wondering if JT will be rotated back in. Easier said than done, but again Urban is seeing something that he likes.

He has to be. JT running the zone read brought back all of the warm and fuzzies. That is how this offense is supposed to work -- sick athletes running in every different direction and whomever makes an LB or DB panic first gets the ball. Jones in a pro style set was an experiment that might have worked if they continued to fine tune it over the course of the rest of the season, but there is no need. The swagger is back with JT in there.

The defense on the other hand.... Barkley is good, but 200 yards? Ugh. Something is wrong with Lee -- he must be hurt. Invisible for several games in a row now. But Joey Bosa is coming on strong so that helps.

As for Michigan, well, that is what I call "Blue Balls."

Edited by Willyville Guy