GO Bucks

YoloinOhio

Lol. I've been in a dark place ever since the first quarter of that train wreck. There were issues on offense all year long with few exceptions, and Buckeye fans mostly just hoped that with a month to prepare Urban and JT would somehow make those issues go away. But instead there was no magic and the playcalling didn't help either. Oh well - the defense deserved better.

Always heartbreaking to see Carmen Ohio after a loss, but I'm glad they do it.

Lol. I've been in a dark place ever since the first quarter of that train wreck. There were issues on offense all year long with few exceptions, and Buckeye fans mostly just hoped that with a month to prepare Urban and JT would somehow make those issues go away. But instead there was no magic and the playcalling didn't help either. Oh well - the defense deserved better.

Always heartbreaking to see Carmen Ohio after a loss, but I'm glad they do it.

Tim Beck sounded like a guy about to be fired or demoted after the game. His contract expires in April. I could see Chip Kelly coming in because he is tight with Urban and we just hired his former DC from the Eagles, bill Davis, to replace fickell. But I think Chip might take a year off and a more viable hire is Kevin Wilson from IU.

I truly didn't think we would win, but expected it to be more competitive (obviously). It was hard to swallow for sure. The reality is this team of 42 freshmen was a year away from a playoff run, but overachieved and got in early (to their and Urban's credit), then ran into a much better team.

The silver lining is that losses like this shake someone like Urban to the core. There are issues that have needed to be fixed offensively for 2 years, and I think this will force him to make some hard decisions and big changes. I don't think JT will be back and I don't think the playcalling, QB coach and possibly WR coach will be the same structure.

They still are dripping with talent on both sides of the ball and are going to be better next year. Urban is going to be on a mission and Gene will give him whatever coaches he wants.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Kelly is an interesting thought, and it would be pretty incredible to have two former NFL head coaches as the coordinators, but it feels like a long shot and I'd be very happy with Wilson.

yup. - agreed. Only way I could see it is if Chip really couldn't stand being away from coaching (I've heard he's a maniac workaholic football obsessed guy). Because he's going to walk away with about about 5 years of coaching contracts to be paid out to him between SF and Phil. Can sit a year and then be hired into the next college HC job of his choice. Edited by YoloinOhio

Big day.

It looks like this is trending toward Wilson as OC and Warriner heading back to OL. I've been asking for this result and I'd be psyched with it.

I have to admit though that the QB coach from the 49ers coming on board is making me daydream about Chip Kelly.

They also should excuse Zach Smith, I think, and find someone new for the receivers.

Riveting stuff!

JT announced today that he's coming back for his senior year. Lots of unhappy Buckeye fans out there who were excited about Haskins or Burrow. Here's to hoping that a new staff can help JT round back into form.

And Tate Martell!

Open QB competition this spring with the new coaches?

JT is the all-time QB TD leader in the history of Ohio State football. Martell will be in a high school science class tomorrow morning. I just don't see how you can open it up like that. The kid from USC forces the question, but I can't see Urban handing the keys to anyone other than JT. He already graduated - I kind of wish some booster would give JT a car dealership in Worthington already and be done with it.

Meanwhile, how come the Wilson deal isn't done yet?

And aren't you a little salty to see Drayton go to Texas? I am.

JT is the all-time QB TD leader in the history of Ohio State football. Martell will be in a high school science class tomorrow morning. I just don't see how you can open it up like that. The kid from USC forces the question, but I can't see Urban handing the keys to anyone other than JT. He already graduated - I kind of wish some booster would give JT a car dealership in Worthington already and be done with it.

Meanwhile, how come the Wilson deal isn't done yet?

And aren't you a little salty to see Drayton go to Texas? I am.

the Drayton hire is HUGE for Herman. I still think he's using Tim Beck mainly as a recruiter and the OC title will not include play calling or coaching QBs. Smart.

I am really nervous about the QB situation to be honest. Haskins is chomping at the bit. I don't want him to transfer. I actually think Martell is going to redshirt. I want JT to thrive under the new coaches but I'm worried he won't.

I'm not sure burrow ever expected to start here. But Haskins did.

I think the Wilson hire has a timing issue with the number of assistants they can have on staff at the same time.

Noah Brown, who by my count had two good games as a Buckeye, has declared for the NFL draft. I wish him the best but am really surprised by that decision.

Meanwhile, Gibson tweeted out this morning that he'll be back in Ohio on Monday. Is he coming back? Hope so.

Strange days in the WR room.

Edited by Willyville Guy

I am surprised that Noah declared because I don't think Scouts will be very high on him unless he can play TE. He had too many drops and couldn't get open down the stretch. Good blocker though and came in at 250 as a freshman. He lost weight before the season and then gained it back. I do think he probably looked at Victor and Mack and two 5 stars coming in, Grimes and Lindsey, plus our lack of passing game with JT and thought he might as well go. Already lost a year with the broken leg,

I really hope Gibson is going to be back. Saw the tweet and I don't know why OSU wouldn't let him re-enroll after the suspension. Hopefully he's back, it would be huge.

Kids go play football at OSU because they want to get to the NFL. Can't blame them for taking their shot when they can. Note though that lots of players graduate, too.

Bummer about Samuel and Gibson. I can see Samuel doing well in the NFL. As for Gibson, I wonder if he'll try to play QB somewhere. Hope they find what they'r'e looking for.

Meanwhile, Demario McCall and Bin Victor, come on down!

• 2 months later...

5 star DT Taron Vincent (son of Troy) committed today.

DL is getting nasty. Vincent, Chase Young, Nick Bosa, Jonathon Cooper, Malik Barrow, Haskell Garrett & Jerron Cage.

Then there is Micah Parsons, who the Buckeyes are trying hard to flip. Where are you going to run?

Throw it? Nah. Jeffrey Okudah, Shaun Wade, Kendall Sheffield, Marcus Williamson, Isaiah Pryor, Amir Riep and Jaiden Woodbey.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• 3 weeks later...

Spring Game notes:

Touch tackling to start the game suggests that the coaches are more concerned than usual about injuries and depth. Not a great sign but it’s only April. Funniest take I saw was Ben Axelrod’s comment that touch tackling was a tribute to the 2013 defense. :lol:

The QB situation is as we predicted. JT is the unquestioned leader of the team and a great running QB. He was also the third best passer in the Spring Game. His only deep ball attempt was intercepted. The other two (three!) looked silky smooth. I’m concerned that if the passes are still ugly early on in the season, the fans in the Shoe will start clamoring for one of the kids. Wilson and Day need to get this right.

WR is still unsettled. Good to see Dixon finally get out there and show his stuff – if he can avoid injury then he seems like “the guy” to me. Sounds like the coaches plan to rely heavily on McLaurin, who did not impress me much last year. Hopefully he can make the leap. I’m still high on K.J. Hill. Victor may have a maturity issue.

H-back looks sweet with McCall and Campbell. On the RB side, it’s interesting that Dobbins is already challenging A. Williams on the depth chart. Not sure what the issue is with Williams, or if Dobbins is just a stud.

Defense looked nasty up front. CBs got abused a little bit – hopefully that suggests nothing more than improving WR play, but it’s tough to ignore the amount of talent that has left for the NFL from the back end. Plenty of work to do for Coach Coombs.

Last year the story coming out of the Spring Game was what a great weapon Torrence Gibson would be at WR – and we know how that story ended. So as usual, none of this my amount to a hill of beans but it was good to see a packed stadium and the team on the field.

I loved what I saw from the offense last week, particularly because the offense is usually behind the defense at this point and I'm not worried about the D. It will be hard to be replace the big 3 in the secondary and we have a lot of youth back there but again, tOSU had proven to be able to reload and often be even better - this is due to the recruiting successes and I believe player development under Schiano. The DL is is going to be absolutely nasty especially with the talk of playing Hubbard at LB and essentially having 5 pash rushers.

Biggest question mark for me is again the WR development. It's critical and they did look good. I am really rooting for Dixon to break through after the injury issues he's had. But they have so much young talent -- will it ever come to fruition? One thing I saw is TE usage. Pretty excited about AJ Alexander.

I'm really struggling about JT. I know folks will say it's crazy but I'd rather see Haskins or Burrow. It will never happen though and I need to accept that. I appreciate what JT has done, but I just think the other two are better QBs while JT is better at running for the 1st down, running the read Option. The most I can hope for is Urban somehow using 2 QBs. He's done it before with success but it has to be very strategic. Regardless, I hope JT comes out and makes me look like an idiot!

GO BUCKS!

Edited by YoloinOhio

This is crazy... what a recruiting class!

FIRST-ROUND PICKS FROM 2013 CLASS

PLAYER SELECTION TEAM

Joey Bosa No. 3 Los Angeles Chargers

Ezekiel Elliott No. 4 Dallas Cowboys

Eli Apple No. 10 New York Giants

Darron Lee No. 20 New York Jets

Gareon Conley No. 24 (2017) Oakland Raiders

@benaxelrod

18 of Ohio State's 22 2014 national title team starters now in the NFL, plus Billy Price who's still in school. Pretty remarkable team.

Imagine reading this tweet the day after Braxton Miller went down.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• 2 months later...

I-O!

The SB Nation preview is a good read. Interesting that it says Urban doesn't always trust JT's decision making in the passing game. I had always thought that JT's reads were what kept him in the #1 spot. Anyway, I'm pumped for the season.

Looking at the posts above following the spring game, I'm reminded that Wilson called several plays for the tight end - which every OSU fan in the world wants to see more of every year. That, combined with the upcoming decision of Jeremy Ruckert, the #1 TE in the country and some people's #1 overall, makes for an enticing opportunity to further expand the offense under the new coordinator.

I-O!

The SB Nation preview is a good read. Interesting that it says Urban doesn't always trust JT's decision making in the passing game. I had always thought that JT's reads were what kept him in the #1 spot. Anyway, I'm pumped for the season.

Looking at the posts above following the spring game, I'm reminded that Wilson called several plays for the tight end - which every OSU fan in the world wants to see more of every year. That, combined with the upcoming decision of Jeremy Ruckert, the #1 TE in the country and some people's #1 overall, makes for an enticing opportunity to further expand the offense under the new coordinator.

Ruckert is 100% crystal ball to Bucks, I'm praying that holds on. He's an absolute monster.

AJ Alexander was the TE who looked really good in the spring game and then recently tore his ACL. Which sucks. But Baugh is returning, and they have some other young guys like Jake Haussman waiting in the wings and I heard Rashod Berry may switch over to TE because the DL is so loaded.

Edited by YoloinOhio

https://twitter.com/Birm/status/887024747166523392

Ruckert to Ohio State. Nice.

yup. And another L for Michigan :). This 2018 class is legendary (again). Friday Night Lights is this week and I wouldn't be surprised to see commitments from targets kamryn Babb, Jason Oweh, Tyreke Smith or Blue Smith (but he's going to have to change that first name). Jackson Carmen isn't committing until December but he's a near lock. Then it's s scramble for the rest of the spots. I have a good feeling about Micah Parsons by the time it's all said and done but Nebraska and Penn State are trying to hold on to him for dear life at the moment. He'd be their biggest signee and is an add-on here. Edited by YoloinOhio

• 3 weeks later...

Cris Carter just said on BTN that Chase Young looks like Jadeveon Clowney out there in practice. True freshman. Dear lord. He's already bigger than Tyquan Lewis.

Schiano said this is the most talented DL he's been around including at Tampa Bay.

Also, Urbs grew a camp beard. Not messing around :lol:

Edited by YoloinOhio

Cris Carter just said on BTN that Chase Young looks like Jadeveon Clowney out there in practice. True freshman. Dear lord. He's already bigger than Tyquan Lewis.

Schiano said this is the most talented DL he's been around including at Tampa Bay.

Also, Urbs grew a camp beard. Not messing around :lol:

Since camp started I've been pretty happy (that's an understatement) with the talent I see on both sides of the ball - although some questions need to be answered at WR and o-line. I've been even more satisfied with the coaches at almost every position, which is surprising considering a year ago I was stressing over the brain drain that follows a Natty and huge NFL draft results. I guess getting the coaches sorted was the only good thing that came out of getting blown out by Clemson last year. Anyway, after your post yesterday I had a little Buckeye bounce in my step.

Until, this is, I saw on the Buckeye boards a crazy rumor about Coach Marotti heading to the Steelers? :sick: I hope that turns out to be false.

Edited by Willyville Guy

Since camp started I've been pretty happy (that's an understatement) with the talent I see on both sides of the ball - although some questions need to be answered at WR and o-line. I've been even more satisfied with the coaches at almost every position, which is surprising considering a year ago I was stressing over the brain drain that follows a Natty and huge NFL draft results. I guess getting the coaches sorted was the only good thing that came out of getting blown out by Clemson last year. Anyway, after your post yesterday I had a little Buckeye bounce in my step.

Until, this is, I saw on the Buckeye boards a crazy rumor about Coach Marotti heading to the Steelers? :sick: I hope that turns out to be false.

saw that too but nothing corroborated. Give the man a huge raise, Gene!!

Michael Hill suspended first few games per Urban but they have depth at DT.

• 3 weeks later...

Rain in the forecast for Bloomington. And wind. There is some !@#$ing hurricane in Texas that will impact the Midwest...

And the season held so much promise. Only to die at the feet of Mother Nature and urbans play calling in inclement weather.

On to Basketb....err...Wrestling

Save us, Kevin Wilson. Buckeye Nation turns its lonely eyes to you.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Great: rain. We're screwed.

I'm glad the backup QB competition is over but feel bad for Burrow. It took an injury to decide a competition that nobody expected would extend all the way to a week before Game 1. The kid just won't back down. I'd be surprised to see him transfer, even if it's objectively in his best interest, just because I can't see him conceding like that. I expect him to stay and fight like hell for playing time and continue to push everyone else along the way.

Six friggin days until the redemption tour begins. Looking forward to a young, angry football team.