GO Bucks

YoloinOhio

Fired up for tomorrow night!! Can't wait to see what I expect will be the best Dline in memory -- Bosa might be the best player on the team and he's not even guaranteed a starting spot. Very curious to see what the Oline--which is reported to be larger than the Browns' Oline-- looks like on the field with all those 6'7'' boys out there. Hopefully optimistic about a new offense that can help JT thrive once again. But most of all, I'm glad the wait is over. Snap the damn ball.

I echo all of that and am on pins and needles with hope the passing game actually works after the last two seasons of crap. Please please please. It is critical to this team's success and if it does, watch out.

Also - is Weber healthy? Concerned about that hammy. Dobbins is coming for his job.

GO Bucks!!!!!!

New Year, same JT

The most important thing that happened was those receivers making some plays in the 2nd half. They have talent, now maybe confidence.

I've become accustomed to the hours of misery that sometimes accompany watching OSU. The good news is they have the speed, depth, coaching and DL to dominate down the stretch of games. Lesser programs can't match that even if they can execute early. And that they did. IU is a good team.

Schiano needs to tinker with that secondary before 9/9.

Best headline:

Indiana almost beat Ohio State

J.K.

:)

Dobbins is the truth! and I still have my #2 jersey from Terrelle Pryor days too😬

My favorite play by far!! Fat guy (almost) TD!

https://twitter.com/11w/status/903469363486801920

Edited by YoloinOhio

So weird to go from no football to a tough conference road game at night. Not surprised at all to see a slow start in that environment - it's not like playing Akron. Indiana might have a better D, and certainly better WRs, than Oklahoma.

During the first half, watching Indiana's offense look like Chip Kelly's Oregon and Ohio State's look the same as last year, I wondered if we're overestimating Wilson. Hope not. The crossing routes make sense as a way to help JT because they force him to throw ahead of the receivers and hit them in stride rather than waiting for someone to run a complete route, come to a complete stop, and then throw the ball. Even on Dixon's TD we saw JT's tendency to throw to a WR standing still rather than throwing someone open. Still lots of work to do.

Can't help but wonder what this offense would look like with Haskins and Dobbins out there as full-time starters. In the meantime, I expect that JT and Weber (with a healthy dose of Dobbins mixed in) will work out just fine.

Where's Demario?

So weird to go from no football to a tough conference road game at night. Not surprised at all to see a slow start in that environment - it's not like playing Akron. Indiana might have a better D, and certainly better WRs, than Oklahoma.

During the first half, watching Indiana's offense look like Chip Kelly's Oregon and Ohio State's look the same as last year, I wondered if we're overestimating Wilson. Hope not. The crossing routes make sense as a way to help JT because they force him to throw ahead of the receivers and hit them in stride rather than waiting for someone to run a complete route, come to a complete stop, and then throw the ball. Even on Dixon's TD we saw JT's tendency to throw to a WR standing still rather than throwing someone open. Still lots of work to do.

Can't help but wonder what this offense would look like with Haskins and Dobbins out there as full-time starters. In the meantime, I expect that JT and Weber (with a healthy dose of Dobbins mixed in) will work out just fine.

Where's Demario?

i was wondering the same thing about McCall! I did see him dressed and on the sideline fwiw

9 pt favorite vs Sooners seems high to me

Edited by YoloinOhio

Ugh...Gerg Schiano and JT....this will be a long year for us.

yeah no kidding. They didn't recover from losing all the guys early to the draft like they did last year. Mass exodus of talent and inexperience in secondary is evident. I would have benched JT long ago or at least play Haskins part of the time. 2 QB system can work in cfb if done right. But urban just too loyal to a fault. Edited by YoloinOhio

Brutal. I've stayed on the JT bandwagon longer than most, but it's clear that the Bucks need to go in a new direction. No 2 QB system; just a clean break with respect and sincere appreciation for all he has done during his four years playing here. The guy is 3-0 against TTUN and deserves royal treatment. I still don't completely understand why he came back this year.

I also think the offense looks basically the same as it did under Warriner, which makes me wonder if Urban is really letting Wilson install a new offense. I was hoping to see OSU's offense resemble IU's (can't believe I just wrote that) but instead, it's just a bunch of QB runs and short, terrible passes - just like last year.

On D, I actually thought the corners were okay on the outside during the game. The LBs got gashed on the underneath stuff though. That position is a complete disaster in coverage. Run D looks good.

Lots of work to do before the next big challenge against Penn St., which looks very good to me.

As for Army, recall how much class Tressel showed in the Navy game years back. He gushed before the game about what an honor it is to share the field with servicemen. Both teams ran out on the field together. OSU did not run up the score. That is the model that should be followed this week.

Go Bucks!

Listening to Urban's press conference today, I get the feeling that he wants to try to get a look at another QB. But he doesn't want to remove JT as starter when his next option is Haskins. He mentioned he's not "game ready" and the 3rd qtr of the Oklahoma game isn't the time to throw him out there for th first time. Which begs the question, if Burrow hadn't been hurt, would he have gone there? Will he put one of them out there (since Burrow is throwing now) against army or unlv if the game is sewn up to get a look?

I think that's what he was saying, but I wouldn't wait until a game is sewn up to send one of them out. Being "game ready," as Urban likes to say, should mean being out there with the first team offense and a game on the line. Burrow already has garbage time snaps under his belt, so maybe he'll go out first. No matter who it is, I sure hope it follows an accelerated process. Otherwise, we're looking at JT all year and ending up 9-3.

I actually think he knows that they have limited potential with JT. They might beat most of the conference but not the top of the conference and certainly not a playoff team if it got that far without the ability to throw downfield. He actually made a remark about this when Cardale was selected over JT to start the year in 2015. It must just be that no one is ready yet that he feels can give them a better chance to win than JT. And burrow's injury may have impacted any plans to the contrary. I don't think he has so much loyalty to JT that he wouldn't replace him if he felt t was the right choice for the team. We saw that in 2015. I also think he puts a ton of stock in anything that impacts recruiting.

There have now been 2 (!) mega recruits who have tweeted they want Haskins to play - one commit who is a flip risk, Jaiden Woodbey, and Micah Parsons who some think is a silent commit. That's a VERY interesting situation for Urban. I often think he is more invested in recruiting than anything else.

Edit - 3 recruits now publically calling for Haskins! Jackson Carman tweeted today. That's 3 of the 2018 heavyweights.

The local radio is on fire with Urban though. Straight fire.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I don't think it matters who is OC - it's Urban's read-option and it's never going to change while's the HC.

The Army game was a step in the right direction. It'll be interesting to see if they look like a different team against PSU.

I could almost hear Buckeye nation going nuts when Haskins came in for garbage time - he looked good!

I don't think it matters who is OC - it's Urban's read-option and it's never going to change while's the HC.

The Army game was a step in the right direction. It'll be interesting to see if they look like a different team against PSU.

I could almost hear Buckeye nation going nuts when Haskins came in for garbage time - he looked good!

4-4 baby! :lol: If it wasn't Army, urbs wouldn't have taken a knee and we could have seen him take a shot to the end zone. He throws a great ball. If he didn't want to utilize Haskins skill set because he loses JT's read option stuff, why recruit him? I always wondered why he tries to bring in pro style QBs. He and Burrow both are better passers. Then he has Martell who is going to be JT Jr. (Hopefully a better passer though) Edited by YoloinOhio

I'm not sure where to set my expectations for this team right now. I see the offense improving each week - getting the ball out quickly to playmakers in space - but it's still very similar to last year and we've seen top-end defenses take that space away several times already. Hell, not even top-end defenses: Baylor hung 40 on Oklahoma this week. If Dobbins goes on a Zeke-like tear and the defense comes together anything is possible... but I'm concerned that I don't have a clear view of what the finished product would look like with the current group. So guess we just have to let them grind and see where it goes.

One of my biggest concerns is the secondary. It's like they can't defend the pass without getting DPI. I don't know if that's coaching or what.

Oklahoma's D vs Baylor was frightening to watch. I hope Weber and Dobbins can play together once Weber is healthy because I just don't see the passing game doing much against good Ds.

Yolo, what's the word in Cbus about Erick Smith? He made a couple of great plays earlier in the year and now he's not even on the depth chart. Great to see Fuller elevate his game, but there must be more to this story -- Smith appears to be in the doghouse.

he is definitely in Urban's doghouse and he rumor is that he got in a locker room fight with Dre'Mont jones which caused Jones leg gash.

If it follows the pattern of Rod Smith and others I think we've seen the last of Smith in a Buckeye uni

Edited by YoloinOhio

That's unfortunate. Urban's explanation that Jones "cut himself on a locker" seemed fishy - although perhaps it was just incomplete if Jones was cut after being thrown into a locker.

that is the rumor is that he hit the locker during the fight. Not sure if true but he was close to having nerve damage. Urban not pleased!

I'm just going to say it. Nick Bosa is the best player at Ohio State. Schiano is not wanting to rotate the DL like he planned because he doesn't want to take him off the field. He is drawing triple teams (!)

Also... Michael Hill back from suspension, Dre'Mont jones back to practice and Erick Smith outta the doghouse!

Edited by YoloinOhio

It says volumes about Nick that the OSU press is openly wondering if he is even better than Joey. Glad to see the rotation at DL tighten up as the season moves on and certain players distinguish themselves. We're seeing it at WR, too.

I'm worried about the situation at guard; maybe not so much for this week, but certainly for Penn St. the following week and the tough games ahead. The last thing JT needs is deteriorating protection as he and the receivers improve. Also, the need for inside protection will likely keep Weber on the field to pick up blocking assignments in situations when they might prefer to have Dobbins out there at RB.

Regardless, Ohio State is revving the engine. Beat Nebraska and then let's see what a difference six weeks can make for this team.

Agreed. Most fans have been begging for more throws to the TE since... Ricky Dudley? As the competition gets tougher and the WRs don't have as much space as they have been getting for the past several games, I hope Wilson continues to go to the TE to loosen things up rather than recoil into the mode of "JT to the right, JT to the left, JT up the middle."

I'm also happy with the way the WRs are coming into their own. Victor, Dixon and Mack look good out there. McLaurin finally made a signature play on a nice deep ball. But how about sneaky KJ Hill? There were two plays against Nebraska where he sat in traffic while the defense got cleared out, and then he popped up in space and JT hit him in stride. That showed a knack for timing his routes with the rest of the offense and some chemistry with JT. I sure hope to see that trend continue.

I think the games since the Oklahoma debacle have gone about as well as we had hoped they would. The entire offense--not just JT--looks to have made big strides. The bye week comes at a good time for the many guys dinged up. I am super fired up for the stretch run. "Championship November" begins in October this year!