• QB Kirck Cousins 6' 3" 214
    • QB Brian Hoyer 6' 2" 215
    • other
    • no trade

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Spiller but I can't see him re-signing here unless we have a good year and make the playoffs. I'd trade him for a first round pick if I could get it. RBs continue to decrease in value and as good as he's been at times, we've never won more than 6 games with Spiller on the team.

I'd only trade Spiller if the NFL allowed trades later in the season, the Bills were out of playoff contention, AND the team thought he would command huge money to re-sign.

In that case, I would trade him to Denver for Brock out of the choices given. Mostly because it would help Denver have a better chance of winning a SB and CJ is a great guy who deserves to be part of a good team.

The best part of Denver having a better chance? New England* has a worse chance. Always do what helps the Bills first, and what hurts New England* a close second.

All that said, I don't see Spiller going anywhere. He probably won't cost top RB money to re-sign, he is a high character guy, and he has elite talent. I want to KEEP those types of players.

Edited by TheFunPolice

You put him on the trading block just to see if someone overpays. You never know.

Exactly. I think a better question would be "would you trade Spiller for a 1st round pick in 2015?"

Look at what the Browns got for Richardson. If you could get that, things might be interesting.

Big difference from my point of view in trying in vein to explain a certain situation to others rather then simply regurgitated someone sucks 30+ times in three threads. I do believe I was very detailed in what I posted, and it wasn't what I would consider a crusade by any means.

In fact, I feel more confidant about those past line posts considering the Bills have addressed the line with three draft picks this year, and with 5.5 million to a free agent OG. I had deep concerns over losing Andy Levitre, and from what I saw those posted concerns were more then justified.

And from the LaCanfora report, the concerns about Spiller might be more than justified.

You were in-depth with your posts, but I seem to recall you hijacking other topics to post a page about our O-line troubles. Similar to what you are complaining about. A crusade is a crusade, no matter how many stats you bring up.

Keep CJ. Run him til he pukes. If he doesn't want to sign with us next year we'll worry about that then.

Trading him for draft picks this year when we're all in going for playoffs or we all get fired, makes zero sense.

I agree, but if we are out of it, trade him if there is time. If the Bills are healthy, and 2-5, trade him.

dont worry. I'll be the one looking for credit before the end if the season. You all will be the ones still making excuses yet again.

Since I ended up inexplicably carrying the so-called "anti-Stevie" banner, allow me to swoop in and offer you a much-needed ally since you are not alone in questioning CJ's actual value to this team.

I don't think anyone questions his potential value, but he left A LOT of yards on the field last year for the same reasons he has since his rookie season: poor vision and poor patience. So while he hits a 45 yard dinger from time to time (and yes, some of his runs are nothing short of spectacular--I'm thinking of his long TD run against Atlanta last year), he bounces for a loss or rear-ends the interior line FAR too often.

I don't blame Bills fans for wanting to be blind to their players' weaknesses (Lee Evans and Stevie were both prime examples of fans resisting criticism of highly flawed players). But, it Spiller's case, he has A LOT to prove to the front office that didn't draft him. And a bunch of ****ty runs with a long run every four games (hate to break it to Bills fans, but some of those runs, like his TD in Cleveland last year are kinda fluky) aint gonna do it.

It's clear that the coaching staff wants someone who will charge up the middle, punish LB's and open up the outside for Sammy. Gailey is gone. CJ aint the focal point anymore. And that's not necessarily a bad thing.

And from the LaCanfora report, the concerns about Spiller might be more than justified.

Can we all get real about the LaCanfora "report"?

http://mweb.cbssport...j-manuel-better

"I'd expect the Bills to field calls for running backs if contending teams continue to lose them (Vick Ballard and Kendall Hunter already out for the year). Buffalo has more backs than it needs, probably, and C.J. Spiller, in the final year of his deal and with no extension in sight, could be the odd man out. I anticipate Fred Jackson being a Bill for life, and he could end up with a few new years on his deal, and the speed of Bryce Brown is impressive. Anthony Dixon supplies depth. A trade market for Spiller could well develop over the next month."

So, this is all LaCanfora himself speculating. He quotes no sources, he hasn't talked to other teams who have discussed Spiller in trade talks, he doesn't even cite anyone who refuses to be named in discussing it. This is entirely his idea. It's a "putting the pieces" together nugget of speculation. It makes for a conversation point, but there's just nothing to substantiate it. Zero.

Can we all get real about the LaCanfora "report"?

http://mweb.cbssport...j-manuel-better

"I'd expect the Bills to field calls for running backs if contending teams continue to lose them (Vick Ballard and Kendall Hunter already out for the year). Buffalo has more backs than it needs, probably, and C.J. Spiller, in the final year of his deal and with no extension in sight, could be the odd man out. I anticipate Fred Jackson being a Bill for life, and he could end up with a few new years on his deal, and the speed of Bryce Brown is impressive. Anthony Dixon supplies depth. A trade market for Spiller could well develop over the next month."

So, this is all LaCanfora himself speculating. He quotes no sources, he hasn't talked to other teams who have discussed Spiller in trade talks, he doesn't even cite anyone who refuses to be named in discussing it. This is entirely his idea. It's a "putting the pieces" together nugget of speculation. It makes for a conversation point, but there's just nothing to substantiate it. Zero.

MUD for clicks.

Since I ended up inexplicably carrying the so-called "anti-Stevie" banner, allow me to swoop in and offer you a much-needed ally since you are not alone in questioning CJ's actual value to this team.

I don't think anyone questions his potential value, but he left A LOT of yards on the field last year for the same reasons he has since his rookie season: poor vision and poor patience. So while he hits a 45 yard dinger from time to time (and yes, some of his runs are nothing short of spectacular--I'm thinking of his long TD run against Atlanta last year), he bounces for a loss or rear-ends the interior line FAR too often.

I don't blame Bills fans for wanting to be blind to their players' weaknesses (Lee Evans and Stevie were both prime examples of fans resisting criticism of highly flawed players). But, it Spiller's case, he has A LOT to prove to the front office that didn't draft him. And a bunch of ****ty runs with a long run every four games (hate to break it to Bills fans, but some of those runs, like his TD in Cleveland last year are kinda fluky) aint gonna do it.

It's clear that the coaching staff wants someone who will charge up the middle, punish LB's and open up the outside for Sammy. Gailey is gone. CJ aint the focal point anymore. And that's not necessarily a bad thing.

thanks cat. And though I may word my argument with "CJ sucks" you obviously see what I mean. I've never said he doesn't have potential. But he's never wrangled it Into something usable on a consistent basis.

only thing is... I provided facts with my "crusade"

You provided stats.

There's a difference between stats and understanding the game based upon what defenses are doing BECAUSE Spiller presents unique problems.

Same argument could be made for Kyle Williams, too.

I get the impression you follow the ball from play to play without really looking at or appreciating what's happening elsewhere.

GO BILLS!!!