What is the deal with Richardson and Kouandjio?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Richardson pick was fine, but the other guy (injured to start with) was a stupid second round pick by Whaley.

nothing like evaluating draft picks a week into their first TC.

Btw, he's not injured.

Edited by YoloinOhio

@MoveTheSticks: Here's a lesson every young scout learns about prospect grades--never claim victory or admit defeat based on rookie yr training camp.

from an idealist point of view, that is true. However, in the big picture GM's face, when the needle is pointing in one direction or the other, it could result in different choices and things being set into motion. Pile that on top of the very difficult roster decisions that need to be made. Some of these guys were drafted and acquired to fill a very specific role and if they don't at least show a little something, then...

So far, 7th round pick Seantrel Henderson looks like the best rookie offensive lineman.

I don't think we should get too concerned right now as these guys are rookies. If the vets are beating out the rookies, then that's good because they're stepping up their game knowing if they don't, then they'll be off the team as these rookies will be taking their spots.

This is well said

and i would agree with that

I'm certainly OK with vets beating out rookie OLs and the DL that lead the league in sacks last season embarrassing them, it should be expected. But to cut one during their rookie preseason would be a huge mistake.

Yep .

Evan Silva@evansilva 35s

"(Cyrus) Kouandjio has not been the player the team was expecting when they selected him in the second round" #Bills: http://www.wgr550.co...417218 …

Um... it's only been one week!

well the article said they both sucked that night .

Thats a concern..

Richardson is pushing for LG I thought, not RG (where Hairston is pushing Urbik, no?). I had very high hopes for him. We NEED him to pan out at LG. Good to hear he's getting reps with the 2s. Hopefully 1s soon.

Its an interesting dynamic Marrone is creating here.

Still abit of a mystery to me .

so riddle me this , and not to argue, but thats a lot of money at LG in Williams isnt it ?

Btw i would not mind one bit for him to succeed at lg next to cordy

Edited by 3rdand12

Wow, very early here people. I'd have liked to hear rookie of the year type comments at this point, but we're only a few days into camp. Let's hope our head coach with OL experience can help. Blocking our D line is not quite the same experience as your average college lineup. It takes time to adapt both physically and mentally. I remain hopeful (which is why I continue here, despite all evidence).

It is way too early, but it is concerning that CK has looked so bad so far. Some rookie offensive linemen do step up in and contribute immediately (i.e., Glenn, Wood and Levitre). I have noted over the years that some of the drafted players who look terrible in their first training camp really are bad, and never develop (i.e., Maybin). It would be much more reassuring if CK was doing well.

Edited by jahnyc

They're both going to take some time, especially Richardson. The NFL is a totally different ball of wax & the transition is not easy. Even for some like Kouandjio who played in the SEC. These guys are facing the very best of anyone they faced in college every single snap. NFL conditioning and strength is on a different level as well.

From all reports, Eric Pears has actually looked outstanding so far. He had surgery in the offseason to clean up his knee & I guess it paid dividends for him. It will be tough for CK to unseat a vet like him week 1 of TC.

Luckily we have Marrone as coach and I trust that he can really teach these kids somethings about playing offensive line in the NFL. Kouandjio, Richardson, and Henderson all have a lot to learn & Marrone is the perfect coach to help set them up for success.

I will reserve judgement on these kids, especially Kouandjio, until camp closes and they get 3 or 4 preseason games under their belts. They all have a lot to learn and the preseason games are the culmination of that learning

One of the alternatives (in fact he may have been rated higher and I thought we might take over CuJo) was Morgan Moses, who the Redskins selected in the 3rd round......not having a good first week:

One thing was clear on the first day of training camp: It figures to be a long time before rookie right tackle Morgan Moses will be ready to contribute. Redskins officials hope the third-round pick from Virginia eventually will replace staring right tackle Tyler Polumbus, but Moses has no idea what hes doing out there.

During Thursdays first session, Moses, instead of getting to his spot and finishing his blocks, was too indecisive on running plays. He often seemed equally uncertain in pass protection.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2014/07/24/morgan-moses-looking-like-a-rookie-as-training-camp-gets-underway/

Edited by Big Blitz

One of the alternatives (in fact he may have been rated higher and I thought we might take over CuJo) was Morgan Moses, who the Redskins selected in the 3rd round......not having a good first week:

One thing was clear on the first day of training camp: It figures to be a long time before rookie right tackle Morgan Moses will be ready to contribute. Redskins officials hope the third-round pick from Virginia eventually will replace staring right tackle Tyler Polumbus, but Moses has no idea what hes doing out there.

During Thursdays first session, Moses, instead of getting to his spot and finishing his blocks, was too indecisive on running plays. He often seemed equally uncertain in pass protection.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2014/07/24/morgan-moses-looking-like-a-rookie-as-training-camp-gets-underway/

Good post. Moses was the other guy we presumably were considering.. He is a good comparison for context. Kuoandjio is taking some time to adjust. We shall see. I prefer to be pleased that Seantrel seems to be working hard and making some progress.

Haven't heard much from them. One was supposed to start at RT And the other push for RG And I read nothing about Richardson challenging RG.

It's only been a week. Can we wait for the team to play some games first? Maybe a couple? It's only another three weeks to wait.

What was interesting was to hear that Marrone is frustrated with the line thus far, and that he is working closely with them to get them better.

The frustration might be from the fact that the line is getting killed by the Bills D line, and it doesn't matter if its by first, or second string players. I read one article that stated the Bills D line 8 sacks in 17 plays read more here, http://www.wgr550.com/pages/9034669.php?pid=417218

Cordy Glenn get better asap please!

It is way too early, but it is concerning that CK has looked so bad so far. Some rookie offensive linemen do step up in and contribute immediately (i.e., Glenn, Wood and Levitre). I have noted over the years that some of the drafted players who look terrible in their first training camp really are bad, and never develop (i.e., Maybin). It would be much more reassuring if CK was doing well.

It's not really concerning. There are players who are more ready, and there are players who take time.

If first impressions were always right, Jason Peters would still be a fringe nfl TE - or out of the league.

should be like a seasoned vet by now.

He should act like he's been there before.