A Little Update For All Who Were On The Nassib Bandwagon

H2o

So many targets on the offense, and a front office who keeps giving us ample reasons to discuss their "progress", and so many posters on the board instead prefer to choose to play grammar and spelling police to other posters. This is a sports fan bulletin board for *&%#'! Sake, not a college English classroom!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So many targets on the offense, and a front office who keeps giving us ample reasons to discuss their "progress", and so many posters on the board instead prefer to choose to play grammar and spelling police to other posters. This is a sports fan bulletin board for *&%#'! Sake, not a college English classroom!

There's no reason to capitalize "sake" in the above post.

If they have hit their ceiling and their ceiling isn't at least above average then you pull the plug ASAP.

Our options, if EJ doesn't improve will be:

Live with EJ for 2014.

Live with Tuel for 2014.

Live with Thaddeus for 2014.

Raid the scrap heap for someone after cuts.

Trade for someone's backup.

Our options for 2015 are:

Live with EJ for 2015.

Bring in a vet who can challenge for the starting position.

Trade for a vet who can challenge for the starting position.

Draft a QB in 2015 though it won't be higher than the second round.

I really hope that the light comes on for EJ because there are no quick fixes here.

This is just downright scary and poor planning by the FO.

If things play out poorly for EJ and we bring in a vet next year, I sincerely hope that does not prevent us from drafting a QB (provided there is one worth getting). I really don't want to be the Cowboys, Bengals etc with a QB that is good enough to not cut, but won't take you anywhere....

If things play out poorly for EJ and we bring in a vet next year, I sincerely hope that does not prevent us from drafting a QB (provided there is one worth getting). I really don't want to be the Cowboys, Bengals etc with a QB that is good enough to not cut, but won't take you anywhere....

Bringing a vet in to play QB has rarely ever worked out well for a team. It just never ends well. The only 2 circumstances where this worked out well was with Manning and Brees, but in these cases serious injuries were involved.

Bringing a vet in to play QB has rarely ever worked out well for a team. It just never ends well. The only 2 circumstances where this worked out well was with Manning and Brees, but in these cases serious injuries were involved.

Wow - really incorrect, sorry.

Kurt Warner, Wade Wilson, Trent Dilfer just off the top of my head.

Edited by BobChalmers

Wade Wilson, Trent Dilfer? Really? Boy, our future looks bright.

As for Kurt Warner, he really has no equal in history. And if you're talking about him going to Arizona, as opposed to him going the Rams, what QB who has won multiple SBs will be available this offseason?

You're correct. I'm sure that someone will bring up other instances, but...decent QB's rarely hit the open market. The position is too difficult to fill.

In how many NFL seasons?

Just a little note for those of you wishing we had other teams second string QB's because they did so well against Second string defenses.

Manuel went 6/6 for 88 yards and a td in the 3rd quarter.

Following drive he want 4/4 for 43 yards. (Fred Jackson running TD.)

So against 2nd stringers Manuel totaled 10/10 for 131 yards and a TD in less than a quarter.

I have no doubt that if Manuel was on another team as second string, and we had one of the other young QB's, we would be pointing to Manuel going "Look at this guy! Why didn't we know to get him!"

Edited by What a Tuel

Just a little note for those of you wishing we had other teams second string QB's because they did so well against Second string defenses.

So against 2nd stringers Manuel totaled 10/10 for 131 yards and a TD in less than a quarter.

I have no doubt that if Manuel was on another team as second string, and we had one of the other young QB's, we would be pointing to Manuel going "Look at this guy! Why didn't we know to get him!"

Interesting take. I bet most haven't looked at it like this

Too bad Rich Gannon hung em up.

He was like 40 (I kid) when he was able to finally play ball...2-3 good seasons and back into obscurity he goes.

Point is these journey men are just that...Nothing special again a few are good enough to have hope and not cut, but bad enough to keep you from going anywhere.

All Dilfer had to do with Baltimore was not give the game away with that D. Unfortunately Defense can't be played like that anymore.

Wade Wilson really?

Warner is a special case and can't be compared to too many others in history, (Moralle maybe?) How many other QBs have gone on the trash heap during that time frame?

So EJ is a 2nd stringer?

I wonder if we could trade him for another team's first rounder next year.....

Great post.

So EJ is a 2nd stringer?

I wonder if we could trade him for another team's first rounder next year.....

No, the point is a developmental qb is a developmental qb. We always knew he was a project QB. Best case was to have him sit behind Kolb for a year, but workout mats. The reason Nassib isn't starting over Eli Manning, who isn't doing so hot lately, is because he isn't ready, and needs time to develop.

Is it possible to draft a QB like Luck who is an instant success? Sure. Does it happen often? No. So we work with what we have - a developmental QB.

Edited by What a Tuel

No, the point is a developmental qb is a developmental qb. We always knew he was a project QB. Best case was to have him sit behind Kolb for a year, but workout mats. The reason Nassib isn't starting over Eli Manning, who isn't doing so hot lately, is because he isn't ready, and needs time to develop.

Is it possible to draft a QB like Luck who is an instant success? Sure. Does it happen often? No. So we work with what we have - a developmental QB.

Ha ha. I was being sarcastic in that post. I was not being serious at all :blush:

The flip-side of your excuse for EJ's performance is that he has been getting the majority of practice snaps as the first string QB here for most of the past 2 years so he would be expected to be light years ahead of any developmental QB backing up a 2-time Super Bowl winning veteran.

I've said it before, it is to be expected that a QB will improve gradually early in his career. The real problem comes when weaknesses are exposed on flim and aren't corrected. That is when opponents can gameplan to make that young QB play to his weaknesses.

Initially, JP showed considerable improvement. So did Trent and Fitz.

Haha, I am just in a mood today. The preseason has sucked, but I just hate to see so many people just give up before the first game is even played.

Ha ha. I am in a mood today myself. Like everyone I am just concerned. As you said the preseason has sucked. Do I hope that we come out firing on all cylinders - you betcha!

I won't give up on the season, but am anxious to see how things play out. More than anything I want EJ to be the guy...

These 14 years have driven most fans to the extremes. If it was onnly 3-4 years I think there would be considerably more patience. Fairness aside, all of the futility falls on these players shoulders as we will crawl up from the sewage with them...

Zach Metterberg leads the league in passing yards this preseason. Second is Nassib. Third is EJ Manuel. Ha.

inspiring list

The flip-side of your excuse for EJ's performance is that he has been getting the majority of practice snaps as the first string QB here for most of the past 2 years so he would be expected to be light years ahead of any developmental QB backing up a 2-time Super Bowl winning veteran.

I've said it before, it is to be expected that a QB will improve gradually early in his career. The real problem comes when weaknesses are exposed on flim and aren't corrected. That is when opponents can gameplan to make that young QB play to his weaknesses.

Initially, JP showed considerable improvement. So did Trent and Fitz.

I don't expect to see huge leaps and bounds in progress. He is a developmental QB, but I do expect to see some - thus far...S.S.D.D.