Impeach Goodell!

Every league commissioner has their own challenge. Baseball needs to make their game more modern without losing it's "classic" appeal. NBA needs to keeps it's players in line and work on the role model image.

NFL has the issue of people not being able to get enough. If we could have football year round, we would take it. There aren't enough players to go around. If there could be a second league that was competitive, it would thrive. Knowing that, he has to balance the money that could be made from the owners push and the health of the players. He has a tough job and I feel that he has overall made more positive changes than negative ones. The "No Fun League" I believe comes from not wanting an NBA image and trying to not get sued so much. The rest is just maximizing exposure while keeping people healthy in a world of very unique owners.

Just my opinion

Changing things to try to better the sport is a good thing. I'd rather have a commissioner that'd be willing to take a chance on changing something with the mindset of improving the game than having a commissioner that won't change a thing even though the game is struggling (Selig).

Basically how I feel.

I don't always agree with the changes, but at least they aren't afraid to make changes. I'm still very much enjoying the sport, so I'm not too up in arms, yet.

This guy lives in a completely different world than you or I. He's talking to owners on a daily basis. He's getting input from the NFLPA and individual players. He's interacting with fans from around the country. He's got lawyers, advisory committees, and others bringing insights and intel to him. He's swimming in NFL information every day.

I couldn't possibly guess what decisions I'd be making if I was as "read in" as he was and facing the same pressures from the various constituencies.

I do know, however, that with Ralph's passing I'd rather have a reputed Bills fan and WNY native in that job right now than someone else.

In my OP I said, " I understand that a lot of other committees and people have their hands in these things as well."

Other people make all of the decisions. Goodell does nothing but be the bearer of the good or bad news.

It's always astounding that people here still make this basic error when blaming all their NFL beefs on Goodell.

Not to mention the people that complain about the "No Fun League" and the rule changes regarding celebrations. I ask those people this. What do you think would happen in baseball if a guy hit a home run and then did a dance after crossing home plate? Next at bat a 95mph fastball thrown at his head. Or if a pitcher strikes someone out and does the Jarred Allen butter churning thing? Someone else on his team is getting a 95mph fastball in the back.

What do you think would happen in hockey if a guy scored a goal and started moon walking (impressive on skates i'm sure) after? Or a guy makes a big hit and then does the Clay Matthews celebration after? Next shift, out come the goons and he gets jumped and beat up.

The NFL is by far the most lenient when it comes to celebrations whether it be by rule or by self-policing.

Edited by Mark80

can you impeach an NFL commissioner?

Anyways, Goodell isnt too bad. Selig takes the prize as the worst in major sports. Goodell comes out smelling like trash on a lot of things, but he certainly has the hardest job by far out of Silver, Bettman, Selig, Goodell.

I'm surprised no one touched on the handling of Spygate, Bountygate or the referee lockout. All major issues I had a problem with

Bountygate is hands down the issue for me. It was a blatant PR stunt to "show the NFL cares about player safety" as the concussion lawsuits heated up, and RG absolutely interfered with the competitive balance of the league by singling out New Orleans for punishment.

And don't even get me started on Spygate!

I think you need to take a look at the recent baseball tv contracts (Dodgers, Rangers, Angels, Phillies, etc.) and tell me how much you think baseball is struggling. For example, the Dodgers is worth $250M per season just for the right to their games to be televised locally. That doesn't include national contracts, merchandising, tickets, parking, and concession revenues. I think baseball is doing OK.

I agree with most of what you said but I disagree about baseball. It's funny that two of the organizations you mentioned as examples (Dodgers and Rangers) have declared bankruptcy in the past 5 years. The Orioles in '93, and the Cubs in 2009.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/7/2/4484824/why-do-baseball-ratings-continue-to-trend-downward

The link provided shows a steady drop in TV ratings despite have the nations largest TV markets NY, LA, and SF in contention.

I don't want to get too sidetracked though. Goodells a good commissioner.

Honestly, I think this thread is a bit silly. Love him, or hate him, the NFL has enjoyed enormous growth during Goodell's tenure-- even during the worst of the recession. Goodell is not going anywhere.

No doubt, but it's a great place to vent about what a twerp he is!

I agree with most of what you said but I disagree about baseball. It's funny that two of the organizations you mentioned as examples (Dodgers and Rangers) have declared bankruptcy in the past 5 years. The Orioles in '93, and the Cubs in 2009.

http://www.sbnation....-trend-downward

The link provided shows a steady drop in TV ratings despite have the nations largest TV markets NY, LA, and SF in contention.

I don't want to get too sidetracked though. Goodells a good commissioner.

Dodgers was because of a terrible divorce. They just signed a $7B tv contract. The Rangers just signed a $3B tv contract. When the Cubs current deal expires in 2019, their's will be the biggest ever (especially since they are primed to be a very good team by then).

The Cubs filed bankruptcy because of the Chicago Tribune and the LA Times tanking, not because the Cubs weren't making money. The Rangers owner was a complete idiot (see Rodriguez contract) and couldn't hold on to numerous teams...Dallas Stars, Liverpool, Corinthians. Mis-management is completely different than struggling support.

Also, attendance numbers are up all over the country.

Edited by Mark80

And Goodell with the Spygate situation was just plain disgusting. Destroying evidence? Seriously? Burning tapes? Literally no reasonable explanation for such an act. Those tapes should have been preserved and allowed to be reviewed for the rest of time. It just shows he is a greedy p.o.s who was more concerned about $ and the damage Spygate should have had on his product than being honest and taking cheaters to task. Most people don't even know the extent of what Spygate was about...BECAUSE of Goodell. Read Spygate: The Untold Story if you want to know more. The only sports reporter who actually dug into it is the author.

Goodell has turned football more into product than sport, and that sucks imo. The NFL may be more popular than it ever was, but it's at one of its low points quality-wise.

This. And I also despise what Goodell has done to the NFL Draft. The draft was fine as a two day weekend event. Now it looks like it will become a 4 day event. Just how does that benefit the fans?

This. And I also despise what Goodell has done to the NFL Draft. The draft was fine as a two day weekend event. Now it looks like it will become a 4 day event. Just how does that benefit the fans?

I assume it's designed to benefit the owners. But, how does it hurt the fans?

Honestly, I think this thread is a bit silly. Love him, or hate him, the NFL has enjoyed enormous growth during Goodell's tenure-- even during the worst of the recession. Goodell is not going anywhere.

The impeachment was just a joke. I do like your point about the growth, but somethings I cannot get past.