Impeach Goodell!

From his ridiculous salary to unfavorable rule changes, I have been scratching my head about this guy for years. In light of the recently proposed change in the draft, I push for impeachment of Roger Goodell!

All jokes aside, whats up with this guy? I really can't stand some of the rule changes, season extension talks, pro-bowl changes, kickoff elimination, etc. I understand that a lot of other committees and people have their hands in these things as well. Maybe I'm just using Goodell as a scape goat. But one things for certain, whether it be LA or Chicago, I will undoubtedly be booing when he takes the stage.

Just an angry Friday rant.

What are some of the head-scratching, eye popping, ridiculous moves he's made to tick you off?

Go Bills.

Changing things to try to better the sport is a good thing. I'd rather have a commissioner that'd be willing to take a chance on changing something with the mindset of improving the game than having a commissioner that won't change a thing even though the game is struggling (Selig).

You do know that he doesn't have the only say regarding these decisions right?

There's a competition committee and the league owners must approve of these changes.

In my OP I said, " I understand that a lot of other committees and people have their hands in these things as well."

season and/or playoff extension I dont want. NFL has the perfect balance right now of letting about 1/3rd of the teams make the playoffs. Add more and youre really starting to dilute the value of the regular season. That IMO is what ruined NHL years ago. Although not sure how much can be blamed on goodell. i suspect its being driven by owners of media-hungry mediocre teams like dallas

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

From his ridiculous salary to unfavorable rule changes, I have been scratching my head about this guy for years. In light of the recently proposed change in the draft, I push for impeachment of Roger Goodell!

All jokes aside, whats up with this guy? I really can't stand some of the rule changes, season extension talks, pro-bowl changes, kickoff elimination, etc. I understand that a lot of other committees and people have their hands in these things as well. Maybe I'm just using Goodell as a scape goat. But one things for certain, whether it be LA or Chicago, I will undoubtedly be booing when he takes the stage.

What are some of the head-scratching, eye popping, ridiculous moves he's made to tick you off?

Go Bills.

Most rule changes are for the safety of the players. How can you argue with that? Season extension at the expense of a shorter pre-season schedule. How can you argue with that? Pro-Bowl has been unwatchable for, well forever. How can you get mad at the guy for trying different things to make it relevant? Kickoff elimination is a safety concern as well. The game is in the best shape it has ever been (including a salary cap that allows small market teams compete with the bottomless pockets of the big boys), I don't see what you have to complain about.

Changing things to try to better the sport is a good thing. I'd rather have a commissioner that'd be willing to take a chance on changing something with the mindset of improving the game than having a commissioner that won't change a thing even though the game is struggling (Selig).

I think you need to take a look at the recent baseball tv contracts (Dodgers, Rangers, Angels, Phillies, etc.) and tell me how much you think baseball is struggling. For example, the Dodgers is worth $250M per season just for the right to their games to be televised locally. That doesn't include national contracts, merchandising, tickets, parking, and concession revenues. I think baseball is doing OK.

Most rule changes are for the safety of the players. How can you argue with that? Season extension at the expense of a shorter pre-season schedule. How can you argue with that? Pro-Bowl has been unwatchable for, well forever. How can you get mad at the guy for trying different things to make it relevant? Kickoff elimination is a safety concern as well. The game is in the best shape it has ever been (including a salary cap that allows small market teams compete with the bottomless pockets of the big boys), I don't see what you have to complain about.

I think you need to take a look at the recent baseball tv contracts (Dodgers, Rangers, Angels, Phillies, etc.) and tell me how much you think baseball is struggling. For example, the Dodgers is worth $250M per season just for the right to their games to be televised locally. That doesn't include national contracts, merchandising, tickets, parking, and concession revenues. I think baseball is doing OK.

They absolutely appear to be. However, I don't believe them to truly have the best interest for the players in mind. A lot of these rule changes for safety definitely help but the NFL is missing on some key rules that could easily cut down injuries. Mandatory mouth pieces, tighten and better fitting helmets. Why is helmet to helmet for RB's not okay but lineman it's unspoken?

I'm surprised no one touched on the handling of Spygate, Bountygate or the referee lockout. All major issues I had a problem with

They absolutely appear to be. However, I don't believe them to truly have the best interest for the players in mind. A lot of these rule changes for safety definitely help but the NFL is missing on some key rules that could easily cut down injuries. Mandatory mouth pieces, tighten and better fitting helmets. Why is helmet to helmet for RB's not okay but lineman it's unspoken?

I'm surprised no one touched on the handling of Spygate, Bountygate or the referee lockout. All major issues I had a problem with

I'm with you man. I can't stand Goodell and think he's a greedy p.o.s who is ruining the game. Watching highlights on NFL Network of the best return men in the game's history, I was livid because kick returning (arguably the most exciting play in football) has all but been eliminated. In the name of safety? These guys all know the risks of playing football at this level. You could be paralyzed on any play, not just kickoffs. Whether it's slightly more dangerous than other plays doesn't matter--it is an integral part of the game with it's momentum changing ability and has been part of the game for most of its history. Changing that is a slap in the face to football fans.

The safety issues bother me. This game cannot be made safe. It is modern day gladiator fighting. If you want to make millions and millions of dollars and possibly be a public icon/celebrity through being in the NFL, there is a safety risk. They should all sign a waiver that they understand the risks of bashing their heads against one another and the ground for years. And changing the helmets won't do anything. It just makes them more reckless. Take away the helmets if you want people to stop throwing their bodies around like missiles, just like in rugby.

And Goodell with the Spygate situation was just plain disgusting. Destroying evidence? Seriously? Burning tapes? Literally no reasonable explanation for such an act. Those tapes should have been preserved and allowed to be reviewed for the rest of time. It just shows he is a greedy p.o.s who was more concerned about $ and the damage Spygate should have had on his product than being honest and taking cheaters to task. Most people don't even know the extent of what Spygate was about...BECAUSE of Goodell. Read Spygate: The Untold Story if you want to know more. The only sports reporter who actually dug into it is the author.

Goodell has turned football more into product than sport, and that sucks imo. The NFL may be more popular than it ever was, but it's at one of its low points quality-wise.

I am probably one of the few who thinks that Goodell has done a good job.

He cant always please everyone but you cant say that he isnt trying to make the game better and safer.

CBF

Thank you CBF. The NFL highly values our Canadian fans and we will do everything possible to continue to engage them in the league.

Go Bills.

Actually, i think he is one of the best commissioners there is. No one protects the Shield better, and that's his job. What would you want him to do? just allow everyone to do what they please?

Actually, i think he is one of the best commissioners there is. No one protects the Shield better, and that's his job. What would you want him to do? just allow everyone to do what they please?

No, just the *Patriots

he's also the most handsome major sports commissioner in the biz.