What is better, no guns, or more guns?

No guns.

Think of it this way. Football nowadays or 50 years ago... Sure the game is bigger, fast, stronger... But is the game better?

Sure. It will be equally messy with no gun, some people will feel more vulnerable. It's like the Old West, you checked your guns @ the door of the saloon. Society was more culturally structured then, saloons were a place to unwind, gamble, drink... No place for a person packing, especially in a mentally diminished state.

The whole world is that saloon now. Check your guns @ "the door." Door of the country?

On that note... I would rather just see ONLY open carry and no concealed carry... I think that would be more effective. At least balance the sides of the equation vs. a more free and liberal society.

Many will laugh... The ability and means to obtain firearms now is the loosest and easiest it has ever been in our history.

Please carefully read what I said above before jumping in and saying: "No!"

Sure, there are more restrictions and regulation. "The ability and means to obtain firearms..." That is independent of restrictions, laws, and regulation. I want a weapon and I am not allowed to have a weapon... I will get a weapon if the ability and means are there. Phuck the law!

If you want to go back to a culturally repressed and conservative society... Then you have to return to the days when there were NOT a flood of cheap firearms on the market. It really is about the flood of cheap firearms and ammo on the market... And the money people can dispose on such items. But, keep on getting tangled up in the laws, regulations, & restrictions!

Like my Old Man would say (tie that into the Kalamazoo crap):

"This is why we can't have anything nice in our family!"

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Flew home last night sitting next to a chief from Seattle who'd spent the week at a national training event that included other high-level officials from law enforcement around the country. I mentioned the shooting in W.WA Friday (5 dead) and the Kansas incident. They'd been pretty locked down and he wasn't aware of them.

Interesting response from him = when he had little kids, he got rid of personal guns. That way he didn't have to worry about them hurting themselves. He also said that based on his training and experience, no way in HELL would he, if he carried a firearm off duty (which he does not) try to intervene in an incident with a firearm because the risk that HE would get shot when the police arrived.

I know there are plenty of buffoons on the board with John Wayne syndrome, but this guy is someone who actually knows what he's talking about. I found it surprising and, frankly, refreshing. Just a little dose of reality.

Flew home last night sitting next to a chief from Seattle who'd spent the week at a national training event that included other high-level officials from law enforcement around the country. I mentioned the shooting in W.WA Friday (5 dead) and the Kansas incident. They'd been pretty locked down and he wasn't aware of them.

Interesting response from him = when he had little kids, he got rid of personal guns. That way he didn't have to worry about them hurting themselves. He also said that based on his training and experience, no way in HELL would he, if he carried a firearm off duty (which he does not) try to intervene in an incident with a firearm because the risk that HE would get shot when the police arrived.

I know there are plenty of buffoons on the board with John Wayne syndrome, but this guy is someone who actually knows what he's talking about. I found it surprising and, frankly, refreshing. Just a little dose of reality.

My Dad is a retired cop, and when it came to guns in the house he took a different approach to my brother and I when we were kids

We knew what guns were, what they did, where they were, and why they were locked up. When we were big/strong enough to handle a 22 he took us shooting so that we could experience first hand that a gun is not a toy.

My Dad also took a different approach to carrying off duty. I was always told when I was a kid that Dad locked up his gun after work and only took it out when he had to get ready for work. I found out years later that Dad always locked up his service weapon, but when we were out and about around town, he would often carry his 38 Chief. But not to intervene as a cop

My Dad is a retired cop, and when it came to guns in the house he took a different approach to my brother and I when we were kids

We knew what guns were, what they did, where they were, and why they were locked up. When we were big/strong enough to handle a 22 he took us shooting so that we could experience first hand that a gun is not a toy.

My Dad also took a different approach to carrying off duty. I was always told when I was a kid that Dad locked up his gun after work and only took it out when he had to get ready for work. I found out years later that Dad always locked up his service weapon, but when we were out and about around town, he would often carry his 38 Chief. But not to intervene as a cop

"...I found out years later that Dad always locked up his service weapon, but when we were out and about around town, he would often carry his 38 Chief. But not to intervene as a cop."

???

Isn't that what blzrul saying. Sounds like the same approach to the story they were telling, well half of it at least.

"...I found out years later that Dad always locked up his service weapon, but when we were out and about around town, he would often carry his 38 Chief. But not to intervene as a cop."

???

Isn't that what blzrul saying. Sounds like the same approach to the story they were telling, well half of it at least.

nozzlenut's story said the cop did not carry off duty

nozzlenut's story said the cop did not carry off duty

Stop with your common sense.

Most people that I know who carry are very loving and protective husbands and fathers who if are ever in a violent situation would prefer to have a gun and not need it to protect their Family, than need one and not have it.

That's hardly a John Wayne mentality no matter how much the left tries to frame the debate that legal gun owners are off looking for trouble. It couldn't be further from the truth. The best advice is to do everything possible to not be in a situation where you would ever have to draw a gun.

Some very good advice I heard in my pistol permit class.

Don't go around telling people you carry for many reasons. One of which if someone doesn't like you all they have to say is you threatened them with your gun (whether you did or not won't matter) you are going to be charged with menacing.

Don't get into the middle of a situation you don't understand. Example, a guy is roughing up a woman in the alley, the woman was screaming for help yelling that he's killing me. A would be good Samaritan came over and shot the guy wrestling with the woman. The guy turned out to be an undercover cop and the girl was on drugs and has stabbed the cop shortly prior. Opps.

Edited by drinkTHEkoolaid

My Parents always kept a shotgun behind the door and one in the master bathroom. I wasn't taught how to handle them. I've never shot a gun. It never occurred to me to ask since we weren't allowed to touch them anyway. As far as I was concerned, they were part of the decor (like my mom's commemorative plate collection. -something else I wasn't allowed to touch)

My Parents always kept a shotgun behind the door and one in the master bathroom. I wasn't taught how to handle them. I've never shot a gun. It never occurred to me to ask since we weren't allowed to touch them anyway. As far as I was concerned, they were part of the decor (like my mom's commemorative plate collection. -something else I wasn't allowed to touch)

Commemorative plates don't kill people, people kill people...

So he didn't trust himself to properly secure his weapons when he had kids around? And you didn't call him a dumbass?!?!

So he didn't trust himself to properly secure his weapons when he had kids around? And you didn't call him a dumbass?!?!

Sounds like a pretty irresponsible law enforcement officer. Of he doesn't trust himself with weapons around his family why should I trust him in public around

Mine?

It's a ridiculous straw man but does have some merit.

Spare us the drama, cupcake. Anyone who spends any amount of time on this board knows there are no "buffoons...with John Wayne syndrome." This is nothing more than you, once again, over blowing your perception of what you want to believe, and supporting it with some oddball story about a guy you met on a plane who was at a national training event?

Assuming the training he was at was not potty training, good for him for realizing he wasn't responsible enough to keep guns in his house.

But virtually anyone with a passing knowledge of gun training and gun safety knows that when you treat your firearms the way they are meant to be treated, and educate your family the way the should be educated, there is no danger in your home. The only people who find danger are the people who refuse to respect the guns (and these are usually inner-city thugs with stolen firearms) and the people whose agenda against guns is too important to employ common sense.

I wonder what the numbers are on suicide and having a gun "handy" and accessible? I know, I know... Somebody wants to off themselves they will find a way. Look @ Robin Williams... Whatever... BUT I am talking about the really impulsive suicides. The ones that probably could be prevented with a little time handy to control their impulsiveness and raging emotions. You know that gun just happens to be there, even secured. Secured still within reach to make it easily accessible and deadly efficient more so than Old Grand Dad's fishing filet knife...

One story that sticks in my head is the one my Godfather/Uncle told... He was a cop for many years, went into a home and a teen was laying on the couch with a blood soaked towel over his face. It seems he didn't quite blow his face off enough, he was still living.

Now... I know... Secure it, secure it... But if there is a weapon, for family protection, you do want it semi accessible and for the family to use it. What good is it if it is locked away and only I can use? AND I am @ work. Obviously, this kid knew where it was.

A boy in my son's high school just offed himself w/the "family's household protection" a few years ago. You may have heard the story, he actually did while on a web cam or something... WTF!

"Gee Honey/kids, intruder? Really? Tell them to chill a bit until I get home, I will get the family firearm then!"

Spare us the drama, cupcake. Anyone who spends any amount of time on this board knows there are no "buffoons...with John Wayne syndrome." This is nothing more than you, once again, over blowing your perception of what you want to believe, and supporting it with some oddball story about a guy you met on a plane who was at a national training event?

Assuming the training he was at was not potty training, good for him for realizing he wasn't responsible enough to keep guns in his house.

But virtually anyone with a passing knowledge of gun training and gun safety knows that when you treat your firearms the way they are meant to be treated, and educate your family the way the should be educated, there is no danger in your home. The only people who find danger are the people who refuse to respect the guns (and these are usually inner-city thugs with stolen firearms) and the people whose agenda against guns is too important to employ common sense.

The most responsible person on earth even has issues from time to time. Everybody has issues. It isn't about being responsible. I was talking about suicides by firearms above... You telling me every one of those incidents, the person was irresponsible. Is that the case? Then they shouldn't have had a firearm because they were totally mental and not responsible enough to have one.