Lions Defensive Highlights

Thought this might be useful in giving us an idea of what Schwartz's D will look like. Its mostly a lowlight film for Flynn, Cutler and Weeden and RGIII but this defense looks like an attacking front, lots of stunts and very aggressive.

I know its just the highlights, but I was encouraged by this

Edited by Captain Hindsight

Attacking D just different than our last DC. Liked watching that thanks. BTW Cutler has no eyes, never moves his head around even after a 3 count, I really used to want him in Buffalo too, so glad we didn't do that.

There's definitely more defensive talent here than in Detroit.

I also think we won't see nearly as many differences in pass defense, scheme-wise, as we may have been lead to believe.

Schwartz is a very smart coach, and he's going to use guys in ways that can make them most successful. I'm jut guessing, but I anticipate seeing things like Lawson splitting time between DE and LB, Stefan Charles playing on the boundary on run defense, Searcy seeing time in special blitz packages, etc. just as Pettine did.

lots of 5 rushers so there is some blitzing going on, definitely like the run defense but it comes down how well our players take to this scheme.

How in the world didn't Detroit win more games with Stafford, Calvin, bush and that defense?

Because you are watching highlights.... The secondary was AWFUL- this caused shootouts, and a run defense that was rarely tested. Was high ranked in volume stats but average at best in per carry stats. It also put a lot of pressure on the offense, and stafford is just ok. Last up they were incredibly undisciplined and put themselves in too many holes that were totally their own fault.

As to blitzing I think the stat was he brought 5 or more just 18% (?) of snaps, and was the 3rd (?) lowest total in the league- was a stat I saw right when we hired him so I'm not 100% firm

That said he sends the front four hard and we have the talent to get there.

Edited by NoSaint

lots of 5 rushers so there is some blitzing going on, definitely like the run defense but it comes down how well our players take to this scheme.

How in the world didn't Detroit win more games with Stafford, Calvin, bush and that defense?

I've been saying that since they got good under Schwartz.... Why do they keep losing?

But especially last year....

I say this over and over and no one wants to hear. We will not miss Pettine. The reason Schwartz came here and did not take a year off is because our defensive talent fits his scheme like a glove. Particularly having two phenomenal pass rushing DTs in Dareus and Kyle.

But the whole front line fits as well. We could use another pass rusher, gunna miss Kiko badly, but everything else is there. Schwartz may not of ever had a secondary as good or deep as ours is. If Gilmore can make that big jump this year we should be the envy of the NFL back there. Spikes and Brown were fantastic adds that are vital to this defense (as well as Pettine's) and they are gunna help so much it's ridiculous....

I can't wait!

Because you are watching highlights.... The secondary was AWFUL- this caused shootouts, and a run defense that was rarely tested. Was high ranked in volume stats but average at best in per carry stats. It also put a lot of pressure on the offense, and stafford is just ok. Last up they were incredibly undisciplined and put themselves in too many holes that were totally their own fault.

As to blitzing I think the stat was he brought 5 or more just 18% (?) of snaps, and was the 3rd (?) lowest total in the league- was a stat I saw right when we hired him so I'm not 100% firm

well that's encouraging.

Yards per rushing attempt and number of rushing attempts per game are very important stats to coaches.

GO BILLS!!!

Because their HC was a clown...

Excited about our secondary. No byrd but having solid corners will help the safeties

@TCBILLS_Astro: According to #PFF Premium Stats (subscription req'd), McKelvin is 13th-ranked overall among CBs playing >900 snaps. #BillsMafia

I've been saying that since they got good under Schwartz.... Why do they keep losing?

But especially last year....

I say this over and over and no one wants to hear. We will not miss Pettine. The reason Schwartz came here and did not take a year off is because our defensive talent fits his scheme like a glove. Particularly having two phenomenal pass rushing DTs in Dareus and Kyle.

But the whole front line fits as well. We could use another pass rusher, gunna miss Kiko badly, but everything else is there. Schwartz may not of ever had a secondary as good or deep as ours is. If Gilmore can make that big jump this year we should be the envy of the NFL back there. Spikes and Brown were fantastic adds that are vital to this defense (as well as Pettine's) and they are gunna help so much it's ridiculous....

I can't wait!

i didn't watch much lions football because they were never in tv here except for thanksgiving. But I heard on WGR this week that lions had 6th best run D and were #1 in league on 3rd down.

Excited about our secondary. No byrd but having solid corners will help the safeties

@TCBILLS_Astro: According to #PFF Premium Stats (subscription req'd), McKelvin is 13th-ranked overall among CBs playing >900 snaps. #BillsMafia

i didn't watch much lions football because they were never in tv here except for thanksgiving. But I heard on WGR this week that lions had 6th best run D and were #1 in league on 3rd down.

As pointed out upthread, that run D gave up a fat 4.2 ypc. We were at 4.4 just to add some perspective. And the Lions pass D wasn't that good, either. That said, we have more talent across the board than the Lions so Schwartz should be happy about the group he inherited.

GO BILLS!!!

As pointed out upthread, that run D gave up a fat 4.2 ypc. We were at 4.4 just to add some perspective. And the Lions pass D wasn't that good, either. That said, we have more talent across the board than the Lions so Schwartz should be happy about the group he inherited.

GO BILLS!!!

I am, admittedly, a huge critic of last year's defense. I think they were horrible; especially vs. the run. I do think, however, that the less-than-2-minute offensive drives need to come to an end in order for Schwartz to have a chance to turn the D around.

I think abandoning the no-huddle needs to be considered if it begins to take a toll on the defense like it seemed to last year.

The talent seems to be there; a decent DC seems to be there. If this D can become even average, it will translate to wins, in my opinion.

GO BILLS!!!

20th in the league per carry last year at 4.2

23rd at 4.5 the year before

29th at 5.0 in 2011

His rush D might be overstated around here.

Edited by NoSaint