Truly bad movies you're embarrassed to admit you like

Rubes

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I misinterpreted your meaning. The thread title is: "Truly bad movies you're embarrassed to admit you like".

To me that means movies that are generally to be considered by an overwhelming majority of people that they are terrible.

So when you said "Pacific Rim", that is a movie that I and others here don't necessarily see as a terrible movie.

When I think of a terrible movie, I think of something from "Mystery Science Theater 3000", like "Eegah", "Invasion of the Neptune Men", "Manos: The Hands of Fate", "Ring of Terror", "I Accuse My Parents", "Monster A-Go-Go", "Danger: Death Ray" or "Castle of Fu Manchu".

But I see where you are going with this thread, and it sounds a bit more subjective than what I was thinking. Hope you understand more of what I meant.

Yeah, I definitely can see what you meant, sorry about that. I guess the way I look at it, the classification of a movie as good or bad is almost entirely subjective and personal, but there is certainly a broader sense from the collective judgment of a larger group, whether the public or critics. But that does raise the larger question of what makes a movie bad, which is really complicated, I guess.

I was probably a bit harsh on both Pitch Perfect and Pacific Rim, but it really depends on perspective. I totally enjoyed both, and it's clear that both were reasonably well-made movies for different reasons. But at the same time, I don't see a movie like Pitch Perfect as a particularly good movie. Fun, but pretty empty, shallow, and formulaic. Pretty much the same for Pacific Rim, although that one was also just a mess from a plot standpoint.

But they're also certainly better than a lot of really seriously bad movies, so there's a lot of room for debate on which movies are really bad, which makes seen since it's all just subjective anyway.

What really surprises me is not just how many people really liked Pitch Perfect, but just how many people have actually seen it.

Yeah, I definitely can see what you meant, sorry about that. I guess the way I look at it, the classification of a movie as good or bad is almost entirely subjective and personal, but there is certainly a broader sense from the collective judgment of a larger group, whether the public or critics. But that does raise the larger question of what makes a movie bad, which is really complicated, I guess.

I was probably a bit harsh on both Pitch Perfect and Pacific Rim, but it really depends on perspective. I totally enjoyed both, and it's clear that both were reasonably well-made movies for different reasons. But at the same time, I don't see a movie like Pitch Perfect as a particularly good movie. Fun, but pretty empty, shallow, and formulaic. Pretty much the same for Pacific Rim, although that one was also just a mess from a plot standpoint.

But they're also certainly better than a lot of really seriously bad movies, so there's a lot of room for debate on which movies are really bad, which makes seen since it's all just subjective anyway.

What really surprises me is not just how many people really liked Pitch Perfect, but just how many people have actually seen it.

I understand what you mean. And you are right about what constitutes a "bad movie". It is completely subjective.

There are movies that I really love that other people say are terrible, and vice versa.

I have never seen "Pitch Perfect", but most people I have talked to, told me it was a good movie.

Then of course there are some movies that are truly awful, and those are very easy to spot.

One of Charlie Sheens very early films:

The Wraith

It's a terrible plot and the script is laughable but has some random actors in it, Randy Quaid, Clint Howard.

I remember that movie,

The Chase escaping to Mexico with the rich chick

how fast were they going when she climbed on top?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I watch it only because I read the books ... I wish they had finished up w/ all of them

I heard that someone was considering remaking it in an attempt to do the whole series. I'm hoping that's the case as I enjoyed the books as well.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

Three Amigos--

Steve Martin, Martin Short, Chevy Chase....I've seen it many times, but still laugh just as hard even though I know exactly what's coming.

Sucker Punch--

It has a decent storyline, and a good message at the end, and it doesn't hurt that every actress in the movie is a hottie.

jeez, just woke up from a nap and "Day After Tomorrow" ia on...will watch for the next little while, prolly have seen 6 times, and lord is it an awful movie.

. Let's not lose all our credibility like plezmd and say we enjoy glee.

Hey, i represent that remark!

Edited by plenzmd1

Late June and early July. Sports wasteland. So, since movies seem to be a hot topic, how about this one:

What movies that you know are truly just bad movies are you completely embarrassed to admit that you like?

I'll start it off. Just saw some movie called "Pitch Perfect" while channel surfing. The synopsis sounded ridiculous, but Anna Kendrick was in it, so I braced myself and forced my way through a few minutes. I ended up watching the whole thing. Just not a good movie, and I'm not even close to the target audience, but for some insane reason I liked it. Totally embarrassed to admit that.

I also just saw "Pacific Rim" the same way. What a complete mess that movie is, although I guess the special effects are pretty amazing. But despite being described by one critic as "all the unpredictability of professional wrestling plus the magic of synchronized Stairmasters," for some reason I just can't stop watching it. Please don't tell anyone.

Okay, you're next.

Pacific Rim was a movie I did not think I would like....it was f'n awesome....I thought it was a very well done movie....there seems to be a rather large following for the movie and a much desired sequel...

Pacific Rim was a movie I did not think I would like....it was f'n awesome....I thought it was a very well done movie....there seems to be a rather large following for the movie and a much desired sequel...

Since you bring that up..... http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/26/5847524/pacific-rim-2-is-coming-in-2017

:thumbsup:

Edited by Mark Vader

I disagree wholeheartedly on Pitch Perfect.Love that movie, but I do not think it is a bad movie....I think it is really good!

But I also watch Glee cause I like it, so there's that.

The Flash Gordon from late 70's with the Quenn soundtrack...that is just god awful and I love it.

Flash Gordon does not belong in this thread, as it is one of the greatest movies of all time.

One of my guilty pleasures is Green Lantern. Universally panned by everyone, but I enjoy it.

That's a classic!! Great movie.

Hey, I agree with you...I love it, but I think it became more of a cult classic long after it was in the theaters. I'm pretty sure there were plans to make sequels, but because the movie did bad at the box office they never got the green light.

Flash Gordon does not belong in this thread, as it is one of the greatest movies of all time.

Flash Gordon was truly awful.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it (un-cut. The cut, for-air version is unwatchable.) But it is a bad movie. When Max von Sydow (the perfect Ming the Merciless, btw) and Topol take second billing to a Playgirl centerfold and Victoria's Secret model, it's a bad !@#$ing movie.