Truly bad movies you're embarrassed to admit you like

Rubes

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sign me up for that one. Kristy Swanson was (probably still is) a 10. Flea, Carey Elwes, Henry Rollins and Bree Walker? That's a supporting cast!

Also from the Charlie Sheen files, how about 'Men at Work', co-starring his Hispanic brother. Two slacker garbage men unravel a dirty politics/murder mystery. Really bad stuff, with every cliched character you can imagine. :thumbsup:

not sure why you mentioned that

Carlos Irwin Estevez = Charlie Sheen

son of Ramón Antonio Gerardo Estévez

Charlie's grandfather was from Spain, his grandmother was from Ireland

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Directed by Michael Bay and starring Ben Affleck.....I'm sure your deduction is correct.

On the other hand...Bruce Willis, Steve Buscemi, and William Fichtner (the best "Hey, that guy!" actor in the business).

On the OTHER other hand..."He's got space dementia!" Really? How'd you figure that out? Because he was shooting - for no reason - the gatling gun you brought to the asteroid - for no reason - and mounted on the drilling rig - for no reason? What, exactly, did you think you'd need a gatling gun for in space? And how was that damn thing firing with no air, anyway?

And what the hell is "space dementia" anyway?

Movies do get worse than that...but not much, and it takes the sociopathic directorial skills of Roland Emmerich to accomplish it.

(Side note: Fichtner grew up in Cheektowaga, went to Maryvale, and is a Sabres fan.)

On the other hand...Bruce Willis, Steve Buscemi, and William Fichtner (the best "Hey, that guy!" actor in the business).

On the OTHER other hand..."He's got space dementia!" Really? How'd you figure that out? Because he was shooting - for no reason - the gatling gun you brought to the asteroid - for no reason - and mounted on the drilling rig - for no reason? What, exactly, did you think you'd need a gatling gun for in space? And how was that damn thing firing with no air, anyway?

Guns in space. I had to laugh at the loaded handgun just sitting in a safe with nothing to securely hold it place.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Movies do get worse than that...but not much, and it takes the sociopathic directorial skills of Roland Emmerich to accomplish it.

(Side note: Fichtner grew up in Cheektowaga, went to Maryvale, and is a Sabres fan.)

Ha! :worthy:

Starship Troopers. Some of the worst acting of all time, but I still love it. It is a cult classic though, so I don't know if it qualifies. I've owned it on VHS, DVD, and Blu-Ray.

"Starship Troopers" is definitely a guilty pleasure.

I remember the day it came out, the USA Today actually gave it a 4 star review.

Another review summed it up best: "Starship Troopers is better than it deserves to be."

Directed by Michael Bay and starring Ben Affleck.....I'm sure your deduction is correct.

"I owe a hundred grand to a fat-ass loan shark which I spent on a stripper named Molly Mounds."

Armaggedon is an all-time favorite in our house. Some of the best and worst lines all bundled in a ridiculous plot that we will watch over and over and over.

http://youtu.be/ZwqOgZxt3c4

I remember the day it came out, the USA Today actually gave it a 4 star review.

Another review summed it up best: "Starship Troopers is better than it deserves to be."

Clearly both reviews were approved by Heinlein's estate...

Hudson Hawk. "Yes, I have always had a soft spot in my heart for Rome. I did my first bare-handed strangulation here."

Hudson Hawk is one of my favorites. Really, isn't the corny dialogue on purpose? I think I'd be a little dissapointed if it wasn't, but either way I'll still like it.

Clearly both reviews were approved by Heinlein's estate...

I'm on board with liking Starship Troopers, but it's definitely one of those moveis that they should have just called something else. Naming it as they did was nothing but trying to get Heinlein fans in the seats. Didn't they recently make another one that was supposed to be more true to the book? I remember reading something about it, but never heard anything else.

EDIT: Just looked around, seems it's an on again/off again type thing. When Total Recall bombed, they back-burnered it.

Edited by Acantha

not sure why you mentioned that

Carlos Irwin Estevez = Charlie Sheen

son of Ramón Antonio Gerardo Estévez

Charlie's grandfather was from Spain, his grandmother was from Ireland

Because I knew some tight ass would feel the need to explain it in detail. :rolleyes:

Yes, we all learned the urban legend about the Estevez/Sheen family was true back in the 80s; hence my reference to the brother with a different name.

By the way, has no one mentioned The Toxic Avenger?? Loved that one.

Nothing embarrassing about loving that movie.

Good point. I'm not really embarrassed about any movie -- especially 'bad' movies. Maybe the thread should be 'stupid chick movies you are embarrassed to like', and then Ryan can list Dirty Dancing and Steel Magnolias.

Because I knew some tight ass would feel the need to explain it in detail. :rolleyes:

Yes, we all learned the urban legend about the Estevez/Sheen family was true back in the 80s; hence my reference to the brother with a different name.

By the way, has no one mentioned The Toxic Avenger?? Loved that one.

we all learned did we? You presume too much I think.

I guess I misinterpreted your meaning. The thread title is: "Truly bad movies you're embarrassed to admit you like".

To me that means movies that are generally to be considered by an overwhelming majority of people that they are terrible.

So when you said "Pacific Rim", that is a movie that I and others here don't necessarily see as a terrible movie.

When I think of a terrible movie, I think of something from "Mystery Science Theater 3000", like "Eegah", "Invasion of the Neptune Men", "Manos: The Hands of Fate", "Ring of Terror", "I Accuse My Parents", "Monster A-Go-Go", "Danger: Death Ray" or "Castle of Fu Manchu".

But I see where you are going with this thread, and it sounds a bit more subjective than what I was thinking. Hope you understand more of what I meant.

Dear lord, that brings back memories. My buddies and I used to hit up a little hippie lettuce and watch MST3000. Good times, hilarious movie.

Someone else said Zoolander and I have to agree. Such a ridiculous movie but I used to love it.

Edited by Wooderson

one problem I have with Hudson Hawk is

Sandra Bernhard

IMO shes just too fugly to watch,

And just an awful actress. She can't even act like a bad actress, she's so bad.

Which makes him (her?) a perfect !@#$ing fit for Hudson Hawk.

Maybe the thread should be 'stupid chick movies you are embarrassed to like',

Notting Hill is a great movie...

Dear lord, that brings back memories. My buddies and I used to hit up a little hippie lettuce and watch MST3000. Good times, hilarious movie.

Someone else said Zoolander and I have to agree. Such a ridiculous movie but I used to love it.

Yeah, I miss MST3K, but we have Rifftrax now.