Former Jills suing the Bills

But I'm sure your sanctimonious shtick gives you a great feeling of personal satisfaction, and isn't that what it's really all about?

I'm glad it isn't just me who gets the "sanctimonious" accusation when disagreeing with you on social issues. Have you ever thought that people are just disagreeing because they think differently to you and that actually they don't care about appearing morally superior they just genuinely have a different opinion?

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a pathetic response. I'd be fine with them getting paid. What I'm not fine with is signing up for something with full knowledge of what you're signing up for, then demanding a better deal after the fact.

And not one of those girls signed up because they needed the money. But I'm sure your sanctimonious shtick gives you a great feeling of personal satisfaction, and isn't that what it's really all about?

Ha "girls," priceless...

No it's not all about personal satisfaction, it's about entering into fair mutually equal transactions. Obviously these women signed up for something where they felt the personal satisfaction they would get would compensate them for their time, and once they got in there they realized it wasn't even close and they were being taken advantage of.

Some folks might have a different view of things if they read the complaint and saw what the Jills and their attorneys allege.

Among the things that are alleged are that the Bills (and it's successors):

• Failed to pay Jills for all hours worked
  • Failed to reimburse Jills for certain business expenses
  • Failed to pay them in a timely manner
  • Took unlawful deductions and kickbacks from the Jills' wages
  • Unlawfully took gratuities paid to the Jills
  • Failed to to adhere to the notice and and record keeping requirements of the Wage Theft Prevention Act.

Regardless of what they "signed up for", none of the above alleged actions (especially the first five) would be acceptable by any employer.

Of course the defendants have the right to present their evidence and testimony to refute these claims and I don't believe that we have seen the defendant's responses

Edited by mbossman2

People working in factories before the Fair Labor Standards Act also knew what they were signing up for, doesn't mean it was OK what the employers were doing. You can label it a "volunteer" job all you want, but when there are various requirements around that "volunteering" it quickly expands beyond that.

As far as your "spill a cup of hot coffee on your lap" example. I implore you to educate yourself before making such references. Take a look at the pictures from that case of that ladies upper legs and thighs. I'll make it easy for you, there is one in this link...caution, it's graphic. http://x4mr.blogspot.com/2012/07/hot-coffee.html

It should also be noted that McDonald's had hundreds of complaints on the temperature of their coffee before this case and settled hundreds of cases regrading it before a trial was necessary and yet still didn't lower the temperature of their coffee until after this case. That is the very definition of negligence, not acting in a reasonable manner when they had knowledge of how to do so.

I think you are missing the heart of his post. The McDonalds comment was the least of the point he was trying to make.

The point is, people have choices. The 'Jills', were people who had full time jobs; and did this as a way of getting notoriety, or simply being part of the community.

If they didn't like the working conditions, they didn't have to become a Jill. They could have focused on their Full Time Job instead.

I'm glad it isn't just me who gets the "sanctimonious" accusation when disagreeing with you on social issues. Have you ever thought that people are just disagreeing because they think differently to you and that actually they don't care about appearing morally superior they just genuinely have a different opinion?

No. That did not occur to me. If you can show me some rational connection between my argument for not arbitrarily rewriting contracts based on the respective financial positions of the parties and blaming a rape victim for inviting the rape by wearing tight clothes I'll be happy to consider it. Otherwise I'll assume it's self-aggrandizing sanctimony.

edit: Had I any doubts about my initial assessment, his follow-up post removed them.

Edited by Rob's House

Some folks might have a different view of things if they read the complaint and saw what the Jills and their attorneys allege.

Among the things that are alleged are that the Bills (and it's successors):

• Failed to pay Jills for all hours worked
  • Failed to reimburse Jills for certain business expenses
  • Failed to pay them in a timely manner
  • Took unlawful deductions and kickbacks from the Jills' wages
  • Unlawfully took gratuities paid to the Jills
  • Failed to to adhere to the notice and and record keeping requirements of the Wage Theft Prevention Act.

Regardless of what they "signed up for", none of the above alleged actions (especially the first five) would be acceptable by any employer.

This I will agree with - that is straight up theft.

I hope I never, ever see another "Jill" on the sidelines of a Bills game.

I appreciate the time and effort the ladies put into their hobby, but it never rose to the level of being an employee of The Bills, IMHO.

So, they're scorching the earth on this. A few of them will get a few bucks, and the Pegs will be forced to pay for the "sins of the past".

Doesn't seem like they've advanced a greater cause of making "professional" cheerleading a genuine occupation.

Edited by Nanker

I appreciate the time and effort the ladies put into their hobby, but it never rose to the level of being an employee of The Bills, IMHO.

You've already been proven wrong on this point, as a court has decided that they were essentially working for the Bills, and that is why the lawsuit is being allowed to move forward.

You've already been proven wrong on this point, as a court has decided that they were essentially working for the Bills, and that is why the lawsuit is being allowed to move forward.

Tough ****. You do know what IMHO means, don't you?

Tough ****. You do know what IMHO means, don't you?

Well, sure, but when a court has already heard the evidence and ruled on the issue you're sort of saying, "I know you think the world is round, but IMHO I still think it's flat."

Drury further denied the football team’s claim that the cheerleaders were independent contractors since all of the Jills were bound by a Code of Conduct

I don't recall, did that Code of Conduct come from Buffalo Bills, LLC?

I'd think that would kind-of matter to that determination.

Well, sure, but when a court has already heard the evidence and ruled on the issue you're sort of saying, "I know you think the world is round, but IMHO I still think it's flat."

Not exactly. You can argue the same point in front of two different judges and get 2 different results. Plus, if the court rules that the earth is flat it doesn't necessarily make it so; it just means that the law (or at least that particular court) is going to treat it as such.

Not exactly. You can argue the same point in front of two different judges and get 2 different results. Plus, if the court rules that the earth is flat it doesn't necessarily make it so; it just means that the law (or at least that particular court) is going to treat it as such.

That is true but that ruling is binding in law until it is challenged and overturned. It is true to say that a court declaration doesn't "make something so" but it is the only relevant determination in this matter. Your view, my view or any other poster's view is irrelevant frankly.

That is true but that ruling is binding in law until it is challenged and overturned. It is true to say that a court declaration doesn't "make something so" but it is the only relevant determination in this matter. Your view, my view or any other poster's view is irrelevant frankly.

That's true, but it doesn't make it right.