Former Jills suing the Bills

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"They agreed to it ", Is not a defense. If someone is, " suffered or permitted to work", then they worked. The concept is simple, straightforward and has been enforced hundreds of thousands of times. The New York State Law and the Federal Wage and hour acts both apply whichever is stricter. The only exceptions I know of are real estate agents and how that industry gets themselves exempt is beyond me. The independent contractor argument is also flawed because the employer exercised "direction and control". The only fuzzy part is just who the employer is. The court could rule that the parties are co-employers.

I've always thought that history would look at NFL Cheerleaders as an embarrassment. They are glorified strippers without a pole. They dance around in skimpy outfits and shake their racks. They may look good, but that's about it. For them to sue the team is like the Hooters staff suing management for making them wear those tiny shorts and low cut tops. Ridiculous.

You know what I find weird is the "red carpet." OK, now turn around so we can all take a picture of your ass.

Alyssa U., a plaintiff in the lawsuit against the Bills, and her attorney spoke with host Caitlyn Becker on Thursday about the case, which alleges cheerleaders were underpaid for hundreds of hours of work at public appearances, where they were sexually objectified. The cheerleaders' bodies were also routinely evaluated by a coach who documented their flaws, Alyssa said.

Cheerleaders sexually objectified? Their bodies evaluated??? How could this be?????? ;)

Look, if they were underpaid then they should sue the hell out of whoever was responsible. But being evaluated on your looks etc. is part of the gig. Anyone would have to be a moron not to know that was going to happen going in.

Again, there is a WEALTH of information in the lawsuit, which can be found here: http://deadspin.com/suit-bills-cheerleaders-were-taught-how-to-wash-intim-1566239771

From the lawsuit:

Plaintiff Jaclyn S. was paid approximately $806.00 for all of her work as a Jill during the 2012-2013 football season, $ 800.00 for all of her work during the 2011-2012 season, and $1,800.00 for all of her work during the 2010-2011 season. Plaintiff Alyssa U. was paid $420.00 for all of her work as a Jill during the 2012-2013 football season. Plaintiff Maria P. was paid $105.00 for all of her work during the 2012-2013 season.

So, they were indeed paid, just not very much, and not in accordance with NY state law.

I wouldn't call the complaint a "wealth" of information. I saw those figures too but it was unclear what that was in reference to. I didn't get the impression that those were wages paid for their services. If so it would change the landscape, but were that reimbursement for expenses it's a horse of a different color. Since you've got the wealth of information could you clarify that for me?

I can't believe how ridiculous this whole thing is. They knew what they were signing up for. There was even that dumb reality show about the Dallas cowboys cheerleaders and what it took to be an nfl cheerleader. What's next, are strippers going to start suing for sexual harassment?

http://nypost.com/2014/04/27/my-life-as-a-buffalo-jill/

Edited by kdiggz

I can't believe how ridiculous this whole thing is. They knew what they were signing up for. There was even that dumb reality show about the Dallas cowboys cheerleaders and what it took to be an nfl cheerleader. What's next, are strippers going to start suing for sexual harassment?

http://nypost.com/20...a-buffalo-jill/

'Sexual harassment' is thrown in to get the headlines and make the NFL look bad (and hence, more eager to settle the lawsuit). Lawsuit Tactics 101.

Everyone knows cheerleading is a volunteer activity. As usual, the big problem is the amount of money that someone else is making. Or is it also time for candy stripers to start suing hospitals and firemen to start suing small towns? And when they start paying college football players, they better not forget the cheerleaders.

So i read the article from the Jill cheerleader..... and there are some issues that i agree with, mainly the thing where they had to buy and resell team calenders with their own money. That seems strange. The Golf tournament auction where the Jill would have to sit on a mans lap in the golf cart, is indeed wrong in terms of whats acceptable. The rest?

Yes.... they tell you how to eat your soup.... because you never know where the person is coming from. Who knows if you know the proper way to eat, sit and conduct yourself in public.

Oh no.... you can't have pictures on your facebook. I'm a teacher..... I can be fired or suspended not just for my own pictures, but pictures of my friends that they post. I'll give an example. A fellow teacher was suspended when his daughter poster a picture of herself wearing a tee-shirt from Game of Thrones, with a quote from the show on it. Said teacher was tagged in the photo. The board of directors saw this, felt it could be deemed as a threat an suspended him. When you become a person that suddenly represents a major business and become somewhat of an idol/icon or someone that people would strive to emulate, they are going to put harsh restrictions on you.

As for the rest of the info regarding how they look. You're a dancer, and i'm sure in the contract they signed it stated that they are basically being hired as model, which allows them to hire and fire based on looks and physical ability along with having strict rules on appearance. The only thing i did not agree with was the mandatory hair cut. The part about the stylist being related to a higher up..... well no ****...... welcome to the real world, everyone you get recommended to is related to someone higher up than you.

TL:DR

They will probably lose their case in court, and have their contract restructured by the start of the season.

or

Russ is cheap, no more Jills

LMAO what a freaking joke. Look if we underpaid them then pay the stupid hags. And if the rest of the NFL world doesn't think EVERY NFL team that has cheerleaders has this **** going on, I have property to sell them. Great stuff, just send cash to this PO Box....

Cheerleaders sexually objectified? Their bodies evaluated??? How could this be?????? ;)

Look, if they were underpaid then they should sue the hell out of whoever was responsible. But being evaluated on your looks etc. is part of the gig. Anyone would have to be a moron not to know that was going to happen going in.

Reminds me of those women who dress like street walkers and then complain when all the guys are staring at them at the local watering hole.

I love a pretty woman but I probably spend about a minute looking at the cheerleaders during a game. Maybe its time to pull the plug on this sophmoric tradition.

Just get rid of the cheerleaders. Problem solved. This isn't college.

Honestly, for what it actually brings to the game or organization, this is the best solution.

They were only there to be objectified, and the recent developments only prove this. This might (?) have been a good thing back in the day, but there are much better ways to promote the team in the community then the old Cheerleading bimbo paradigm.

Move into the 2000's Buffalo Bills incorporated!

LMAO what a freaking joke. Look if we underpaid them then pay the stupid hags. And if the rest of the NFL world doesn't think EVERY NFL team that has cheerleaders has this **** going on, I have property to sell them. Great stuff, just send cash to this PO Box....

Bills did not underpay, it was the contractor they hired that underpaid and I know it's the internet but don't you think your line about "stupid hags" is a little over the top?

The contractor responsible for the Jills is shady to say the very least. What I cannot understand is how an organization like the Bills could permit some of the sordid BS described in the article from occurring. There is something in business called "reputation risk" and if you don't always have an even strain not only on your business, but also the subcontractors that represent you directly or indirectly, your setting yourself up for potential $$$ losses or PR headaches.

Agree with other posters that they should do away with the cheerleaders and keep their focus on football.

Edited by Flutie Flakes

Bills did not underpay, it was the contractor they hired that underpaid and I know it's the internet but don't you think your line about "stupid hags" is a little over the top?..

Agree with other posters that they should do away with the cheerleaders and keep their focus on football.

I'm good with changing their self-imposed suspended status to full time as well.

But, in its essence, they're a weekly Beauty Pagent. It's in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I agree with KtoR83 regarding the homely, pale white Buf-lo Gals. For how ever many squads there are, the Jill's bring up the rear IMO.

At least their rears are jiggly..

So i read the article from the Jill cheerleader..... and there are some issues that i agree with, mainly the thing where they had to buy and resell team calenders with their own money. That seems strange. The Golf tournament auction where the Jill would have to sit on a mans lap in the golf cart, is indeed wrong in terms of whats acceptable. The rest?

Yes.... they tell you how to eat your soup.... because you never know where the person is coming from. Who knows if you know the proper way to eat, sit and conduct yourself in public.

Oh no.... you can't have pictures on your facebook. I'm a teacher..... I can be fired or suspended not just for my own pictures, but pictures of my friends that they post. I'll give an example. A fellow teacher was suspended when his daughter poster a picture of herself wearing a tee-shirt from Game of Thrones, with a quote from the show on it. Said teacher was tagged in the photo. The board of directors saw this, felt it could be deemed as a threat an suspended him. When you become a person that suddenly represents a major business and become somewhat of an idol/icon or someone that people would strive to emulate, they are going to put harsh restrictions on you.

As for the rest of the info regarding how they look. You're a dancer, and i'm sure in the contract they signed it stated that they are basically being hired as model, which allows them to hire and fire based on looks and physical ability along with having strict rules on appearance. The only thing i did not agree with was the mandatory hair cut. The part about the stylist being related to a higher up..... well no ****...... welcome to the real world, everyone you get recommended to is related to someone higher up than you.

TL:DR

They will probably lose their case in court, and have their contract restructured by the start of the season.

or

Russ is cheap, no more Jills

Why is no more Jills = Russ is cheap? I say can the entire thing anyway. Look I watch the games to watch the games, I can see chicks 'Jiggle' anytime I want. Most NFL teams do not have them, The Bills should dump them and move on.

This whole thing is just embarrassing.

I don't care who is right or wrong, it is a PR nightmare and the bills need to fix this ASAP. Go line by line through every complaint and address it. Then pay them and make this issue go away.

Thats all this is and thats why it is so big in the news right now. This could happen on any NFL team if you got enough of these women together. They all know this is going no where but a settlement and they're going to get paid 6 figures.

I also think it is is great timing to be doing this now, after the owner just passed and the estate is in a legal status. It cannot be closed until all legal matters are closed.

The Bills cannot fight back, though they should. The NFL is going to get their dirty hands in on this if it gets out of hand, too.

Its ****. Its pure ****.

http://nypost.com/20...a-buffalo-jill/

That's funny and exactly what I was going to post. if your not happy with a side job, then quit. If your offended quit. Some of what is claimed is over the top, but they are hired on their looks, dancing ability, and presence.