Season will be here before we know it

Welcome back, Ice bowl. My take:

Defense is playoff caliber; could be downright nasty. Depth is an issue on the line, and we don't know if Dareus will face any suspension.

Offense has a ton of weapons, appears to have improved starters and depth on the OL, and will go as far as EJ takes them. He's the huge question mark and every fan is holding his/her breath.

Gotta agree with EBall.

Bills have the talent. Hopefully the coaching additions on O help out with EJ's developement. Like to see Schwartz keep up the pressure on opposing Qb's while stopping the run better then last year.

Hopefully we are both playing a very meaningful game in December!

Talent on either side of the ball is no longer an excuse for this team. They have playoff-caliber talent spread all over the roster, they just need to put it all together. As everybody says, EJ is the key to most of this. I have no idea if he'll have what it takes to get it done.

My input:

Defensively, they could be playoff caliber. While the defense was great at getting after the quarterback last season and also pretty good in pass defense, they suffered serious shortfalls in terms of the running game. They ranked 30th in rushing yards allowed and 23rd in YPC. I watched too many third and 4/5 turned into first downs off a run. Did they improve in that position? Certainly. They added Spikes and Rivers, who will both be starters and then turned around and drafted two more. So I'll just leave it that they will have a playoff caliber defense IF they do a much better job against the run.

Offensively, I think the questions are greater in number. I've warmed up considerably on the move to get Sammy Watkins. Facing facts, Stevie was never a true #1. He put up solid #2 numbers like Peerless Price did when he was here, but was never that go-to guy. The receiving corps is young and they have a lot of potential. The offensive line got bigger and deeper with the addition of Chris Williams and Cyrus Kouandjio. I'm concerned about Chandler's ongoing knee issues and the TE position. Lots of guys that seem to get hurt a lot. We can't forget that after Stevie Johnson that Chandler has been the next biggest contributor as a receiving option. That actually dovetails right into EJ. Has he improved? Was his play last year impacted by poor offensive line play and/or injuries to much of his receiving corps? Hackett says that EJ is far ahead of where he was last preseason. If the defense isn't much better against the run, we'll need him to be. Perhaps moderate improvement on both sides of the ball means that there's possibility of playoffs.

Without question they have talent. However, the jury is still out in the two most important aspects of the sport (QB and Head coach) and I don't have much faith in either. I think they finish 7-9.

The jury IS still out . Well said .

But .. I do have much faith in both. I think they finish 9-7 . Too early to get negatory good buddy !

So how good do you guys think the Bills will be? What positions did you guys think improved? How do you think E.J. will do? You guys might surprise us in December.

I hope the D stays as good as or better than last season.

WR hopefully now that the SJ13 antics are no longer at OBD they will be consistent.

Praying that CJ and FJ stay healthy all year and produce big #'s

EJ stays healthy and doesn't fall into a sophomore slump.

PS oh prediction...... 9-7 or better (singers crossed)

PS PS 26 days (and counting) to TC :thumbsup:

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

God, Packers' fans are so nice! Easily one of the best fanbases in the country. No doubt, there's a lot on EJ. It's really hard to predict what he will do because of injuries. At times, he looked very poised. Other times, he looked like a rookie. I think the knee injury hurt his all season. But we'll see. I think the Bills have their most talented team since the early 2000s. But that doesn't mean crap.

What are you feeling about the Pack? Is it pretty much if their D is better, they are SB contenders?

my feeling is I think we can if our Defense gets back on track. if it doesn't it will be a 10-6 or a 9-7 year at best. Maybe worse if Rodgers goes down again. I think we will be fine otherwise. Peppers is old but he can help our D and Matthews needs to stay healthy.

I feel really strongly that if you took any of the top 12 Qb's in the league and put them as the bills starting QB we make the playoffs and then some. Not even a question in my mind about that. So with that being said, it all depends on EJ 100% IMO. He knows it. He is a young kid and I just hope that he can show that intensity to pick his team up. I'm talking Andrew Luck intensity, Dan Marino face (can't believe I said that), Brett Farve/Jim Kelly taking a hit and popping up. I want the kind of year from him where once the season is over we find out he played 12 games with broken ribs and nobody knew. It's all on that kid and that's the type of s$&@ it's going to take to break this streak.

Edited by SJDK

I feel really strongly that if you took any of the top 12 Qb's in the league and put them as the bills starting QB we make the playoffs and then some. Not even a question in my mind about that. So with that being said, it all depends on EJ 100% IMO. He knows it. He is a young kid and I just hope that he can show that intensity to pick his team up. I'm talking Andrew Luck intensity, Dan Marino face (can't believe I said that), Brett Farve/Jim Kelly taking a hit and popping up. I want the kind of year from him where once the season is over we find out he played 12 games with broken ribs and nobody knew. It's all on that kid and that's the type of s$&@ it's going to take to break this streak.

I don't agree with this. The 49ers and Seahawks had the lowest amount of passing attempts in the league. They played good D and STs, controlled the clock with their running game, and allowed for their Qbs to make the occasional big play. I don't see why EJ couldn't perform in a similar matter.

And totally disagree about Marino. I think he is one of the all time worst leaders ever. I'm pretty sure a lot of his teammates hated him.

I don't agree with this. The 49ers and Seahawks had the lowest amount of passing attempts in the league. They played good D and STs, controlled the clock with their running game, and allowed for their Qbs to make the occasional big play. I don't see why EJ couldn't perform in a similar matter.

And totally disagree about Marino. I think he is one of the all time worst leaders ever. I'm pretty sure a lot of his teammates hated him.

I have never heard one of Marino's teammates ever say a bad word about him. Just curious where you get this line of thinking. I like you & your positive attitude but your the ultimate homer. You question one of the alltime greats leadership ability yet your high on Manual, a kid that hasn't proved anything yet & wasn't even that good @ Florida St. If Manuel has 10% the career that marino had I will consider him a success.

& I am with the other posters, this season rests on EJ. If he is average to good I think we win the division, if he plays at an all pro level I think we are Super Bowl contenders. The talent on the rest of the roster is there imo. If he is lousy my guess is he will be looking for work next year & the Bills will continue their playoff drought. I have not been this excited for a football season in a long time. I really think we got a chance this year.

I have never heard one of Marino's teammates ever say a bad word about him. Just curious where you get this line of thinking. I like you & your positive attitude but your the ultimate homer. You question one of the alltime greats leadership ability yet your high on Manual, a kid that hasn't proved anything yet & wasn't even that good @ Florida St. If Manuel has 10% the career that marino had I will consider him a success.

& I am with the other posters, this season rests on EJ. If he is average to good I think we win the division, if he plays at an all pro level I think we are Super Bowl contenders. The talent on the rest of the roster is there imo. If he is lousy my guess is he will be looking for work next year & the Bills will continue their playoff drought. I have not been this excited for a football season in a long time. I really think we got a chance this year.

You are all over the place with this. I guess I'm high on a 1st round QB because I don't want him replaced after one year? What a homer! How was Aaron rodgers after his first year?

And just because Marino was one of the greatest passers ever, doesn't make him a great leader. You honestly believe grown men with egos like being screamed at? Part of the reason the Fins never had a good running game is because Marino's ego won't allow it. Sorry, I don't think Marino was a great leader. I consider great leaders guys like Montana, Aikman, Manning, Brees. Marino falls into the Cutler range.

And yes, Manuel will never be as good as Marino. But he can be a better leader. And believe it or not, EJ had a better rating than Marino in college (DM only had 10 more tds than ints). http://www.sports-re...n-marino-1.html http://www.sports-re...j-manuel-1.html

Edited by C.Biscuit97

It's unfair to say that EJ can't stay healthy... Virtually every starting QB throughout their career gets injured.... EJ had a solid preseason showing as a rookie and got injured before the regular season, then re injured the same injury.... Essentially, it's unfair to claim that he cannot stay healthy, and it's also unfair to say what he can and cannot do... We did not see a healthy EJ in the regular season least year, not once...

Let's see how we do against Chicago and Miami before we attempt to read the future...

Where do you get that Manuel "wasn't even that good @ Florida St."?