Why 80% of NFL players are broke 2 yrs after they retire

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12,000 tip?

Whose receipt is that?

Evan Mathis, OG for the Eagles tweeted it out... it was from their dinner where the rookies pay for the vets. There are more Kamikaze shots on there than entrees. Edited by YoloinOhio

If I had been that rookie, I would've said no. That is ridiculous. There is something known as common sense. I have no pity for a person that throws away something like this. Simply pathetic.

If I had been that rookie, I would've said no. That is ridiculous. There is something known as common sense. I have no pity for a person that throws away something like this. Simply pathetic.

In my mind common sense is having the money to by 2005 Screaming Eagle Cab and doing so. :thumbsup:

I hear you, but maybe it's Marcus Smith, their first rounder. He recently signed his contract, and it included a $3.992 mill signing bonus.

So if that were me it would bug me a lot but if it only happened once, I wouldn't say anything.

Still, it's crazy. They need to work on eliminating this kind of thing.

If Smith gets injured and his career is over, he'd have spent almost two percent of his pre-tax NFL career earnings on one night of partying. Crazy.

Edited by Thurman#1

Does this restaurant have a luxury box or multiple season tickets? Do the car dealerships where players purchase their cars have them? I think there is a lot of that kind of thing going on. Nothing I'm gonna lose sleep over, because it's all part of becoming a multi-millionaire overnight, and is a rite of passage into the crazy, mixed up world of professional sports. I just hope most of the money gets circulated back to the low rungs of the local economy....probably not though.

Ultimately it's the fans that pay for this kind of excess. The tickets, the parking, concessions, etc. And of course, being endlessly bombarded with advertisements. They don't just want your money, they want your time (and mind). At what point does that experience become more unpleasant than pleasing?

Edited by HoF Watkins

It is ridiculous. Living in FL, my neighbor was a RB for the Bucs, and down the street one of the WR for the Bucs lived there. They are both gone now as they are put of the league. My neighbor was foolish enough to have a Cadillac Escalade EST, a 70's souped up redone car, and get this a Rolls Royce.

He spent his way to nothing and I heard when out of the NFL, he was caught up in some kind of Medicare Fraud and in jail. It's sad as he is a nice guy, who made some very bad decisions. The WR made it in the league for five years or so, and they had to sell their house and Bentley as well.

I don't think it's everyone, but so many of these guys are given good financial counseling, but they don't take it. They far too often act like they are going to play forever at least by their spending habits. Then it's one sad story after another post football.

Does this restaurant have a luxury box or multiple season tickets? Do the car dealerships where players purchase their cars have them? I think there is a lot of that kind of thing going on. Nothing I'm gonna lose sleep over, because it's all part of becoming a multi-millionaire overnight, and is a rite of passage into the crazy, mixed up world of professional sports. I just hope most of the money gets circulated back to the low rungs of the local economy....probably not though.

Ultimately it's the fans that pay for this kind of excess. The tickets, the parking, concessions, etc. And of course, being endlessly bombarded with advertisements. They don't just want your money, they want your time (and mind). At what point does that experience become more unpleasant than pleasing?

Maybe when you run out of money?

Maybe when you realize that this money has to last you 50 years, not 5.

Maybe when you realize that this money has to last you and your family 50 years, not 5.

In my mind common sense is having the money to by 2005 Screaming Eagle Cab and doing so. :thumbsup:

Not at a 70% markup. Ditto for the Harlan estates at 230% markup. Del Frisco's?? Those are tourist trap prices.

I bet Jonathan Martin carpeed his Underoos just looking at that tab...

Maybe when you run out of money?

Maybe when you realize that this money has to last you 50 years, not 5.

Maybe when you realize that this money has to last you and your family 50 years, not 5.

Uh..I was talking about from the fan's perspective...

Edited by HoF Watkins